looking for a 05/06 gt

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
hi so been a ford gt fan for along time finally looking to buy one id love a white with blue stripes or the dark blue no more than 5k miles is it realistic to buy one for 240/250s? for a no story car?also what issues have been found with them ?thanks

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
No, its not realistic.

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Raise your mileage goal to at least 10,000, and seek the rare private party seller, and you might start to approach realistic.

Reactions: Ed Sims

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
thanks for the replys

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
and what should i look for things usually needing replaced after 15 years

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Depends on the owner and how they maintained it. Tires mostly. Fluid change.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
and what should i look for things usually needing replaced after 15 years

Any car that has only been driven a thousand miles a year is probably (unless shown otherwise by service records) in need of:
1. A complete fluid replacement. If it "runs" replace it.
2. New tires

Some belts, esp. oil pump and hoses may warrant replacement as well.

Cars that have moderate miles have also probably been regularly serviced as well. Don't buy a ultra-low-miles car if you intend to drive it alot thinking you're going to save a lot of money. In fact, the opposite may be true.

Be prepared to have gauges fail. Ford-sourced replacements will also eventually fail. Autometer (the original gauge manufacturer) sells replacements directly for the small gauges but the tach and speedometer are still only available from ford. Your choice there is a complete gauge panel replacement or a rebuild by someone here on the forum (sorry, can't search for the link right now). At any rate, the gauge discussion has many topics here already. Use the furoum SEARCH function to find them.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
hi so been a ford gt fan for along time finally looking to buy one id love a white with blue stripes or the dark blue no more than 5k miles is it realistic to buy one for 240/250s? for a no story car?also what issues have been found with them ?thanks

Hey D33, good to see you here. As you know, I just bought one this week so am clued in to what's going on. The answer to your question is no, you cannot buy a 5k mile museum piece for your number in the current market. My next question is, do you REALLY want or need a no story low miles car? I got sucked into that low mile vacuum for awhile....well mainly because the driver grade cars priced right sell so damn fast....look at the car Howard repped this week, $200k sold within a few hours.

But after being a set of tires away from buying a 4k mile white car (good, but not perfect) for $265k....I had to stop and question did I really need to pay a premium to get the full GT experience? And honestly, a 4k mile car is still driving miles anyway, the auction queens are the sub-1k mile ones.

So does my car have stories? Yeah, two minor ones that have no bearing on how the car performs or is enjoyed. And what I paid, well it makes Howard's car look pricey....LOL.

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
Hey D33, good to see you here. As you know, I just bought one this week so am clued in to what's going on. The answer to your question is no, you cannot buy a 5k mile museum piece for your number in the current market. My next question is, do you REALLY want or need a no story low miles car? I got sucked into that low mile vacuum for awhile....well mainly because the driver grade cars priced right sell so damn fast....look at the car Howard repped this week, $200k sold within a few hours.

But after being a set of tires away from buying a 4k mile white car (good, but not perfect) for $265k....I had to stop and question did I really need to pay a premium to get the full GT experience? And honestly, a 4k mile car is still driving miles anyway, the auction queens are the sub-1k mile ones.

So does my car have stories? Yeah, two minor ones that have no bearing on how the car performs or is enjoyed. And what I paid, well it makes Howard's car look pricey....LOL.
congrats on your purchase enjoy in good health ,like to buy one say no mor than 6 k miles and still put some miles on her i have a few to look at next week will go from there iam also looking at getting another diablo 6.0 but sometimes thinking do i want another 20 year old lamborghini and the ford gt is one of my fav cars willbe more reliable and alot less in cost replacing parts and maintaince.im tired of loosing a 100k every time i sell my cars.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Try Formula 1 Sports Cars in Miami, they have a perfect White example.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
No, its not realistic.

Yeah you got to spend a little more, I bought a slightly higher milage car, sent it to Rich and had the fluids, belts, and any deficiencies addressed. Could not be happier!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Yeah you got to spend a little more, I bought a slightly higher milage car, sent it to Rich and had the fluids, belts, and any deficiencies addressed. Could not be happier!
Glad your happy with the car. You found a great seller from this forum. 😀

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
refer to the topic "hidden dangers of buying a low mile car"

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
refer to the topic "hidden dangers of buying a low mile car"
i see the very low miles being that what about the 3/5k mile cars i think those would be safe if reguarly serviced

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Agreed 100% fordgt.jpg

doug5m5

Feb 23, 2017
Newport Beach Ca
Check out Bring A Trailer. 06 Black w 4,000 miles

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
Check out Bring A Trailer. 06 Black w 4,000 miles
Called and spoke to family of owner. Something is fishy. If look at pics, shows a tiny scratch on the bumper. Tiny. Well they are claiming that the car was rear ended (has a police report and also CarFax report of accident) and all that resulted from the collision was this tiny scratch. This is a tiny hairline scratch at best. Spoke more with the seller and things just don't add up.
In fact, at one point in the conversation, the seller said with the CarFax and collision they set the reserve low (sounds like around 200) but they mysteriously have a $245k bid. Is it a chandelier bid??? Who knows, but that kind of money for an accident car with CarFax scar doesn't make sense.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If it doesn't feel right then don't go for it. Trust your instincts.

QSS

Reactions: blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33

Nov 27, 2006
los angeles
Called and spoke to family of owner. Something is fishy. If look at pics, shows a tiny scratch on the bumper. Tiny. Well they are claiming that the car was rear ended (has a police report and also CarFax report of accident) and all that resulted from the collision was this tiny scratch. This is a tiny hairline scratch at best. Spoke more with the seller and things just don't add up.
In fact, at one point in the conversation, the seller said with the CarFax and collision they set the reserve low (sounds like around 200) but they mysteriously have a $245k bid. Is it a chandelier bid??? Who knows, but that kind of money for an accident car with CarFax scar doesn't make sense.
car fax accident usually brings down the car 30/35% from retail price imo

Voda

Aug 26, 2014
Las Vegas
car fax accident usually brings down the car 30/35% from retail price imo
Yep. That's why the bid of $245K at the opening of the auction is so fishy. That and the pic where the finger is pointing to that tiny scratch that they claim is all that occurred in a rear-end collision that a police report was filed for. This just makes no sense. There is still over a week left on the auction and still only the one bid that was placed when the auction started.