license plate holder

a snake

GT Owner
Jul 8, 2010
roanoke, va.
can anyone recommend a good license plate holder arrangement for my gt. one of virginia's finest gave me a $150.00 ticket the other day for not displaying a license plate on the front. any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Ouch, that sucks ...

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As in the second link above, I have this: http://www.moweraxle.com/ I keep it in the car in the pockets behind the seat with the plate. Was going to make one, this was waay easier.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Front License

This is what I have done. Just loosen the middle 3 screws on the front spoiler and insert between the car and the polier and retighten. I made from 0.050" 6061 aluminum from McMasterCarr and the had it anodized. Tapes from Home Depot.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 314
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 310
  • Oblique.jpg
    Oblique.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 309
  • plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 307

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That really sucks. I just moved out of Virginia a couple of days ago and never had an issue. I did, however, bend a few pieces of aluminum bar stock that clamp to the tow loop. You can see it in post 21 of the 1st link above. Yours for free if you want it. No front plate in Florida.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
This is what I have done. Just loosen the middle 3 screws on the front spoiler and insert between the car and the polier and retighten. I made from 0.050" 6061 aluminum from McMasterCarr and the had it anodized. Tapes from Home Depot.

Nice job.

a snake

GT Owner
Jul 8, 2010
roanoke, va.
thanks to all for info and suggestions. went to local ford dealership and ordered one today. $53.00 and ford has/had 230 in stock. i later get a call from parts manager. he needs the vin number of the car. ford will not sell any gt part without a vin number. trying to keep people from buying and selling on ebay. good story from ford if true.

have built our own from the design of several forum members. thanks to all for your suggestions.

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Does anyone know how the plate holder from Ford attaches to the front of the GT?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does anyone know how the plate holder from Ford attaches to the front of the GT?

By drilling 2 holes in the front fascia! :ack

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Don't use the factory!!!!! You have to drill two holes in your front facia. BIG NO NO in my opinion (I have multiples, would have given you one for free, although I strongly suggest figuring out something else). Your car, but I wouldn't use the factory. You are going to do $2,000+ worth of damage to the car with the factory front license plate holder...

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
I think with the Red Light camera as a revenue source the front license is going to be a growing nuisance. Plus, what kind of LEO is going to pull you over for this in the first place?
With this in mind I decided to roll with the punch and do the best I could with the least intrusion on the body (no holes) and the cooling system. My license holder is shown above. I am not interested in being a manufacturer ( I was for 40 years) but if 10 people will sign up I will fabricate a run of 10 for $100 each. PM or whatever if we don't get interest it is no skin off my nose.
The product is quite nice, I have made some for friends and they like it. It looks right on the car.

a snake

GT Owner
Jul 8, 2010
roanoke, va.
shelby,

thanks for your info. i will be glad to buy one from you. let me know how much. thanks. will cancel my order on monday with ford.

just occured to me, you have original ford license plate holders for front. is this correct and if so this is the kind i don't want to put on my car. please confirm.

bill

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
By drilling 2 holes in the front fascia! :ack

That is what I thought.

I wonder how many of them have been installed onto the GT's?

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
here is what i did. i bought 2 extra front splitters for the future. i can take this off with only 6 allen head bolts for track/ show days. i keep an allen wrench in the front seat pocket.
please excuse the dirty rad. i installed this before the major winter clean up.:wink

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMGP4978.jpg
    IMGP4978.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMGP5022.jpg
    IMGP5022.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 270

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Front Plate Holder

Here's a front plate holder similar in design to the Mower Deck product. Both screw into your tow hook recepticle and can be removed or attached in a few minutes. $85 bucks ...

http://gominigo.com/FordGT.html

usmcfred

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
VA. no radar or lasers allowed.... front plate. I'd move!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
VA. no radar or lasers allowed.... front plate. I'd move!

...and...4.57% annual (yes annual!) property tax on the assessed value of the car in Fairfax County. Mine was assessed at $165K. Do the math. I did move. viva gt...I would bet you'd get cited in Virginia for having the plate angled too far from vertical.

Last edited:

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
... viva gt...I would bet you'd get cited in Virginia for having the plate angled too far from vertical.

Have a copy of the act and it only states, "exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear" . No mention of angle but it is easily viewed when I am driving down the road.
No issues last summer. We will see what this year brings.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
..I keep an allen wrench in the front seat pocket....

As opposed to the back seat pocket... :frown :lol