Lets talk wheels.....

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
JayGT and FBA,

With the extra width of the wheels, where was it added? All to the inside? 50/50 inside and outside?

Anyone one know the width of the GTX1 wheels and how it was backspaced?
about 3/4" more on the inside and 3/4" more on the outside...approx. Now the tops of the tires sit at about 1/4" out of the rear wheel well, rather than about 1/2" inside the rear fender (stock)

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
20 fronts here and they feel no different than stock did.
You run 20" up front and feel no difference in the ride? Wow, didn't think that was possible with so little sidewall up front.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
about 3/4" more on the inside and 3/4" more on the outside...approx. Now the tops of the tires sit at about 1/4" out of the rear wheel well, rather than about 1/2" inside the rear fender (stock)

Do you have any issues with fender clearance throughout the range of rear suspension travel?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

After lowering my car with the Penske Coil-Overs, my tires are now about .500"+ further inside the wheel wells than the were stock and that is with the wider Bridgestone Tires.

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
HRE Comp 93's 20/20!

62452_122275324494592_108329662555825_126732_3122836_n.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Last edited:

tanner

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2011
You run 20" up front and feel no difference in the ride? Wow, didn't think that was possible with so little sidewall up front.

I run the same wheel and tire that Cody just posted, and what people always say when they get out of the car is they couldn't believe how well it rode. I would do the 19/20 for the reasons Ray mentioned regarding some wheels looking bigger in front (I had a red Viper like that), but wouldn't consider the 19/20 for ride reasons alone.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Cody,

What are your wheel widths and backspacing?

tanner

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2011

I would have never thought to put gold Work's on a Heritage, but that does look very good.

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
Cody,

What are your wheel widths and backspacing?

20x9.5/20x12! Its a standard HRE fitment so I'm not sure what the backspacing is.

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
Do you have any issues with fender clearance throughout the range of rear suspension travel?
The top of the wheels travel up in an inward motion not straight up that's how they get away with a wider rim. It tucks up behind the fender during the travel. If you stand over your rear fender you will see the factory rim sits pretty far in from the lip. You can bring an aftermarket wheel almost to the lip.

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
When you do 20s all the way around, does it look as good as going a staggerd look like a 19/20? It seems like if you went the same size all the way around with the body of a GT, it would look strange.

The pictures I posted on page two show my GT (black wheels) with 20's all around and the other GT with 19-20 combo side by side.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The top of the wheels travel up in an inward motion not straight up that's how they get away with a wider rim. It tucks up behind the fender during the travel. If you stand over your rear fender you will see the factory rim sits pretty far in from the lip. You can bring an aftermarket wheel almost to the lip.

As long as the tire bulge does not extend past the rim - so be careful.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
None whatsoever...but I don't track her either. Normal driving - no rubbing anywhere. I have plenty of that in my lifted 2500HD...LOL

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
This is true - but that may change once I have the wheels aligned. The tops of the wheels are now angled closer in to the vehicle over the stock setup, this is after lowering and the wheel change. No question it needs an alignment all around now. Looks cool, but not the best thing for tires and handling I'd think.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
When you do 20s all the way around, does it look as good as going a staggerd look like a 19/20? It seems like if you went the same size all the way around with the body of a GT, it would look strange.

Doesnt look strange to me at all. See for yourself and tell me what you think.....
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...Car.-Pics-inside.......&highlight=elite+rally

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Doesnt look strange to me at all. See for yourself and tell me what you think.....
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...Car.-Pics-inside.......&highlight=elite+rally

Wheels look right but wow is that some thin sidewall up front.

Car is beautiful, don't take that wrong.

Cody

GT Owner
Feb 1, 2007
Bee Cave/Lakeway,TX
Wheels look right but wow is that some thin sidewall up front.

Car is beautiful, don't take that wrong.

Picture isn't really doing it justice, there is more sidewall there than what you see.

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Does anyone have any experience with these folks?
http://www.wheelsrims.net/ford-gt-inventory.html
Looks right but seems way too cheap.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Does anyone have any experience with these folks?
http://www.wheelsrims.net/ford-gt-inventory.html
Looks right but seems way too cheap.

Chinese knock-offs?

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Website says OE "remanufactured" and orders could be "in location" (trying to find a core to remanufacture I suppose)