Leather dash defroster vent removal...

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Has anybody done this on their FGT? I'm asking because I have a section on my leather dash that is separating and my leather guy wants to remove the vent to get access to it. I'm hesitant about removing it because I'm concerned it will break and Ford doesn't sell these pieces separately.

I remember removing the defroster vents on my 911 and those clips just broke off completely. :facepalm:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
They are easily broken. Even the experts break them. You are correct that replacements are hard to get. If nobody here gives you specific advice, you might ask Rich Brooks, the GT Guy.

I hope your leather guy is good. I had mine glued and it lifted again after a short time. Using a dash topper now until I decide to have the dash recovered. Jeff Larson had his dash completely recovered. Looks OEM. I imagine the labor cost is not for the faint of heart.

I wonder if the vents are unique to the GT. I don't know why they wouldn't just pull some out of the Ford parts bin.

Last edited:
Reactions: PL510*Jeff

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Seems to be a need to have the vents 3d printed so that they can be replaced during a recover. Most plastics don't hold well up to temperature swings and UV light and get brittle over time.

Reactions: Roadtrip

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Thanks for the feedback, just as I thought, these vents are easily breakable.

How did your leather guy glue it? Did he remove the vent and used a needle/syringe?

They are easily broken. Even the experts break them. You are correct that replacements are hard to get. If nobody here gives you specific advice, you might ask Rich Brooks, the GT Guy.

I hope your leather guy is good. I had mine glued and it lifted again after a short time. Using a dash topper now until I decide to have the dash recovered. Jeff Larson had his dash completely recovered. Looks OEM. I imagine the labor cost is not for the faint of heart.

I wonder if the vents are unique to the GT. I don't know why they wouldn't just pull some out of the Ford parts bin.

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Agreed 100%. My Ford parts department is saying that the vent plastic pieces only comes with the entire dash for 30k, lol!

Seems to be a need to have the vents 3d printed so that they can be replaced during a recover. Most plastics don't hold well up to temperature swings and UV light and get brittle over time.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks for the feedback, just as I thought, these vents are easily breakable.

How did your leather guy glue it? Did he remove the vent and used a needle/syringe?
Yes, but I guess the adhesive was incompatible.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
vents

Vents are available separately

Attachments

• img045.jpg
    img045.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 154

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm referring to the black plastic defroster vents in the upper dash, not the AC vent outlets.

Vents are available separately

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
I'm referring to the black plastic defroster vents in the upper dash, not the AC vent outlets.

Tops vents are not serviced separately and not from another car. Only way to get them from Ford is to buy a dash. About $30k is right. Part #4G7Z 6304320 BAA Retail $32,131.17

We have the file and had a few sets 3D printed a few years ago. Very nice pieces. We have also made a "band aid" bezel for the cars that have the leather shrinking. Don't have a pic of the "band aid" but will get a few pics when I get back from a PPI on Wednesday. "Band aid's" about $175 for a car set. To remove and recover a dash (which we have done also) about $2k.
Attached pics of 3D parts with 1 original part.

Attachments

• 20170810_093139.jpg
    20170810_093139.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 20170810_093149.jpg
    20170810_093149.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Reactions: Roadtrip

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Rich,
I need to buy these vents and "band aids"!! Please let me know and I will place an order with you ASAP!

Tops vents are not serviced separately and not from another car. Only way to get them from Ford is to buy a dash. About $30k is right.
We have the file and had a few sets 3D printed a few years ago. Very nice pieces. We have also made a "band aid" bezel for the cars that have the leather shrinking. Don't have a pic of the "band aid" but will get a few pics when I get back from a PPI on Wednesday. "Band aid's" about $75 for a car set. To remove and recover a dash (which we have done also) about $2k.
Attached pics of 3D parts with 1 original part.

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Rich,
I need to buy these vents and "band aids"!! Please let me know and I will place an order with you ASAP!

Send me an email richgtguy@gmail.com and I will get back to you on Wednesday when I get back to the shop.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Bandaid....

Attachments

• GT vent collar installed with comments.jpg
    GT vent collar installed with comments.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 159

Tomcat

GT Owner
Rich,
Rich's vents are "perfect".

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
Ok, email sent!

Send me an email richgtguy@gmail.com and I will get back to you on Wednesday when I get back to the shop.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Can others purchase as well or is the supply limited?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
$30K for the dash, that's gotta be in Pesos :lol, Holy Cow Ford... and I thought my Buddy's 599 shocks replacement are in the stratosphere ($24K) and they're leaking at 6K miles with no aftermarket availability :facepalm:

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Can others purchase as well or is the supply limited?

Yes just send me an email. I have a few sets left.

Also I fixed the costs above.

Tomcat

GT Owner
As requested (privately)...link (from Rich, GT Guy) to removing vents and adding collars/bandaids. I hope this works:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Rich, I did send an email. I assumed you sold out.

If you make more, I would still like to purchase.

Rich, I did send an email. I assumed you sold out.

If you make more, I would still like to purchase.
Me too! What's the current price?