Lambo Murcielago or Diablo Feedback?

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Guys,

I love my Ford GT and plan to keep it forever! However, I am thinking about buying a low mileage used Lamborghini Murcielago (2002-2003) or a Diablo (1994-1996). I do not know much about them other than I like how they look and would like to have one. Can any of you that currently have one or have had one tell me what you think of them? Are they nice cars? Anything I should specifically look for when buying one? One better than the other? Either more likely to have hit bottom market prices with chance to go back up(Diablo?)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Clutches were a pblm where Diablos were concerned (always replacing same).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Clutches were a pblm where Diablos were concerned (always replacing same).

EP, I imagine how you would have any 1st hand experience with a clutch failure. They just don't fail if the car never moves! :biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
Guys,

I love my Ford GT and plan to keep it forever! However, I am thinking about buying a low mileage used Lamborghini Murcielago (2002-2003) or a Diablo (1994-1996). I do not know much about them other than I like how they look and would like to have one. Can any of you that currently have one or have had one tell me what you think of them? Are they nice cars? Anything I should specifically look for when buying one? One better than the other? Either more likely to have hit bottom market prices with chance to go back up(Diablo?)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Both are wonderful gals; late Diablo’s are the most IMO desirable with the fixed headlights etc. and then when considering an early Murcielago of the years presented I would go with to the 2003 as there were a few nice out of the gate changes incorporated into the 2003.

For the years as mentioned for the Murcielago; only a manual 6 speed was available with 04 presenting the E-gear. The early gals with the manual transmission do well with clutches as long as they are properly used and then once the E-gear was presented the early gals seemed to go through clutches more often however IMO this was because of two reasons; a lack of understanding when it came to how to properly use the system and also because the software was IMO still being developed. The early gals can have and many likely have already had the TCU re-flashed making the E-gear a very viable consideration.

Over all the gals are mechanically sound and would provide some wonderful experiences however; they are not as easy to maintain as the Ford GT nor are the parts as easy to acquire; maybe better put they are easy to acquire however most travel in from Italy and with them comes at times extreme cost; no surprise here as we are seeing the same thing with the Ford GT too.

Styling aside which is subjective at best there is no doubt that the Murcielago is a better overall gal to jump in and exercise.

If I can answer any questions please let me know

Takes care

Shadowman

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The last year Diablo 2001 (under Audi ownership) has the cleanest design; seem to be around $125K

There were some upgrades to fuel injection and other QC. Octane magazine had a nice write up in the Spring.

I have seen some very low priced 2002-2003 Murci's....ie $125-150K, so I would say they are coming down. A new Murci is out in 2012.

In my opinion the Murci looks only second to the GT....very modern and aggressive.

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Diablo won't go back up for a while. Same with Murcie. I had a 2001 6.0 and it was the best of the Diablo's by far, it was really almost a new car compared to even the previous year's model (1999, there was not a 2000 model unless you count the Diablo GT). I owned three Diablos over a span of 4 years. I waited on the Murcie and bought a Ford GT, but I did like the Murcie a lot. Very easy car to drive.

Now is likely a good time to pick up one of the real collectible Diablos. The Diablo GT or a real factory Diablo Jota. These are badass cars with stunning looks, built in very low production numbers that will be millon dollar cars one day. The come with a pain is the ass though, as they are very hard to maintain I am told. These are very high strung "beasts". Many Diablo GT's fouled plugs at idle along with a host of other problems. I still have a Diablo GT Poster in my office at home on the wall, as I came very close to buying one years ago. They are still only Show and Display I believe as they were never an official U.S. model.

Hey Shadowman, do you have any experience with Diablo GT's of Jotas? If so, can the running problems be solved with them?

Also, Shadowman, what's up twith the photos of the Murcie SV at your shop? I have seen several photos of them there. In my humple opinion, previous Lambos like the Diablo and early Murcies always had "missing pieces", and this is the first "real contender" to be offered from Lamborghini in quite a long time.

Attachments

• diagt19.jpg
    diagt19.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 198
  • htn02h.jpg
    htn02h.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 201
  • diagt80.jpg
    diagt80.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 200
  • diagt33.jpg
    diagt33.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Diablo won't go back up for a while. Same with Murcie. I had a 2001 6.0 and it was the best of the Diablo's by far, it was really almost a new car compared to even the previous year's model (1999, there was not a 2000 model unless you count the Diablo GT). I owned three Diablos over a span of 4 years. I waited on the Murcie and bought a Ford GT, but I did like the Murcie a lot. Very easy car to drive.

Now is likely a good time to pick up one of the real collectible Diablos. The Diablo GT or a real factory Diablo Jota. These are badass cars with stunning looks, built in very low production numbers that will be millon dollar cars one day. The come with a pain is the ass though, as they are very hard to maintain I am told. These are very high strung "beasts". Many Diablo GT's fouled plugs at idle along with a host of other problems. I still have a Diablo GT Poster in my office at home on the wall, as I came very close to buying one years ago. They are still only Show and Display I believe as they were never an official U.S. model.

Hey Shadowman, do you have any experience with Diablo GT's of Jotas? If so, can the running problems be solved with them?

Also, Shadowman, what's up twith the photos of the Murcie SV at your shop? I have seen several photos of them there. In my humple opinion, previous Lambos like the Diablo and early Murcies always had "missing pieces", and this is the first "real contender" to be offered from Lamborghini in quite a long time.

Hi Gulf GT

"Also, Shadowman, what's up twith the photos of the Murcie SV at your shop? I have seen several photos of them there"

The gals like to come and visit me as they know that I get lonely within “Area 51”

Now as for the picture as presented by you; this is IMO is a stunning Diablo. Unlike days gone past when folks tolerated the nuances associated with the driving of these gals they can be made to be happy being exercised on a regular basis with very few issues associated with the process. The greatest issue for most of the gals is the “lack” of usage. No they do not need to be driven daily however IMO they do need to be exercised at least once a month for a few hundred miles; this process insures fresh fuel will always been within her, the seals and gaskets remain compliant, and in a crazy sort of way I think that this keeps their spirit alive.

Mechanical girl friends need regular attention too.

Takes care

Shadowman

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
No sleep tonight.

My new murcie will be delivered at 9:00 tomorrow.Can't wait!

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Well I decided to go with the Murcielago! I bought it today!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
We need pics ASAP

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Congrats to both of you!!! Looking forward to seeing pix. The first Murcielago I was ever in was Michael's (Magwheel), when I visited him in OH a few years ago. Love the colors and it's definitely not a bad ride!!! :thumbsup

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
We need pics ASAP

I am having some things done, laser jammers, windows tinted, etc. I will post when it arrives!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
UB, got any recommendations on laser jammers?

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Got the new Murcie today!

Question?Can i use a trickle charger that plugs in the cig lighter like all the other cars i have?Mabe Shaddow man will Know,I think he told me he has had
dealings with the murcie.

Aug 25, 2006
Question?Can i use a trickle charger that plugs in the cig lighter like all the other cars i have?Mabe Shaddow man will Know,I think he told me he has had
dealings with the murcie.

Good question

It is mixed almost as if depending on which way the wind was blowing in Italy

I have early Murcielago with the accessory plug hot when the key is off and then a few that it was not. Then the LP640 through 2008 have the accessory plug hot when the key is off however for 2009 and the 2010 SV's the accessory plug is not hot when the key is off.

The bottom line is as follows;

If the accessory plug remains hot with the key off then the port can be used for a Battery Tender otherwise I remove the driver side engine bay trim which requires that you also remove the manual battery disconnect knob/lever (this is very easy) and there is a junction point just below the manual battery disconnect to which I attach a pig-tail and then connect the Battery Tender this way.

You need to keep the battery hot and IMO “never” jump start the gals. If the battery goes dead slow charge it or replace the battery otherwise the risk of secondary damage is “high”.

I hope that this helps

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks,

I will check to see if its hot with key off.The long way may be the best way.
I agree i would not jump start any of the gals.

Aug 25, 2006
I will check to see if its hot with key off.The long way may be the best way.
I agree i would not jump start any of the gals.

The long way is truly very easy; remove the manual battery disconnect knob/lever and then the few Phillip screws that secure the panel and slide is it out and then the place to associate power and ground is right there. I then run a pig-tail and secure it to the square tubing near the manual battery disconnect and then reinstall the closure panel and manual battery disconnect knob/lever after which you can leave the bonnet open to attach the Battery Tender or bring the wire from below, attached it, and then close the bonnet.

Call me if you have any questions about your gal

Takes care

Shadowman