Labor Cost on Pulley Swap?

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Well, I have had my FGT for about 1.5 months and I am already interested in a pulley swap. I asked my Ford dealer for a quote on the labor cost to do this and I expect they will call me tomorrow with a number. Can anyone tell me the going rate for this and how long it should take to do? I want to know if they come back with BS or not when they give me the number. I am looking for the labor cost expectation alone since I already got the SCT tuner from Torrie.

I have a heavily modified Viper and swore I would leave the FGT alone. Well I guess you can never have enough HP!:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Well, I have had my FGT for about 1.5 months and I am already interested in a pulley swap. I asked my Ford dealer for a quote on the labor cost to do this and I expect they will call me tomorrow with a number. Can anyone tell me the going rate for this and how long it should take to do? I want to know if they come back with BS or not when they give me the number. I am looking for the labor cost expectation alone since I already got the SCT tuner from Torrie.

I have a heavily modified Viper and swore I would leave the FGT alone. Well I guess you can never have enough HP!:thumbsup

Welcome to the world of never leaving anything alone; I too belong to this group.

I would be far more concerned with the process being properly completed with no damage.

As for price; there is no Ford Flat rate for this as such they will have to determine hopefully based on history the time required.

IMO the process also needs a new OEM supercharger base gasket; then there will be two vials of OEM supercharger oil at $25.00 ea. and then I like to see a fresh set of spark plugs installed; I use NGK TR 7IX gapped at .025-.028

Since they will likely be removing the belly pans so if it is time for a service there would be no better time as everything would be accessible.

I know very well that this does not answer your specific question and I am not prepared to because what one facility charges hopefully is a reflection of that which they provide when compared to another as well as any adjustment for the unit/hourly cost in your area. I always suggest that folks find a facility that they feel comfortable and are able to communicate well with and then I suspect that the results will be stellar and the associated cost fair.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A pulley swap is likely the best, bang-for-the-buck mod that you can do on the Ford GT, IMO.

I agree with Shadowman that it is much more important to be confident with the competency of the shop than with the rate quote. If the shop is inexperienced (and it is likely that MOST Ford dealerships are inexperienced with GTs), then they might give you an inaccurate quotation. Too high, and it may tick you off, too low and they may be rushing to do the job in the time allotted.

I could easily imagine that Shadowman, the GTGUYS, and I all have different approaches. No right or wrong here, but each of us likely have our preferences.

For us to do a pulley swap, we do the following:

1. Remove MAC subwoofer from interior and remove access panel to gain access to pulleys, tensioner and general improved (belt tracking) visibility.
2. Relieve tensioner, and remove belt from SC pulley.
3. Remove airbox and airbox boot.
4. Remove all SC plumbing (the EGR and one of the hose clamps can be a pain)
5. Remove SC bolts and then carefully remove SC from engine.
6. On clean workbench, drain the SC fluid.
7. Using a relatively unique pulley puller, remove pulley from SC.
8. Remove snout from SC.
9. Using a press, install new pulley.
10. Re-install snout using an appropriate sealant. Torque to spec.
11. Add new SC Oil to specs
12. Install SC on engine
13. Torque SC to factory specs - and factory torque pattern.
14. Re-install hoses and EGR components
15. Re-install belt
16. Check belt tracking
17. Re-install interior components.
18. Re-install airbox boot and airbox.
19. Change sparkplugs (I too prefer the TR7IX's)
20. Start engine - confirm "normal" idle characteristics & belt tracking
21. Install MAFia (if specificed by tuner)
22. Install Tune to PCM.
23. Re-start engine to confirm proper operation.

Hopefully, I didn't miss a step in my description. My point is that there are a lot of steps - and a lot of areas where it helps to have experience and/or patience.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
And, UB2SLOW, you've now received replies from 2 of the premier FGT handlers in the business along with some of our other sponsors here.

nota4re aka Kendall did my pulley swap along with a bunch of other mods before I ever laid eyes on my gal. I was satisfied for a year then nota4re installed the Whipple along with more mods. Who knows what early presents Santa will bring this year?

Enjoy!

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
A pulley swap is likely the best, bang-for-the-buck mod that you can do on the Ford GT, IMO.

I agree with Shadowman that it is much more important to be confident with the competency of the shop than with the rate quote. If the shop is inexperienced (and it is likely that MOST Ford dealerships are inexperienced with GTs), then they might give you an inaccurate quotation. Too high, and it may tick you off, too low and they may be rushing to do the job in the time allotted.

I could easily imagine that Shadowman, the GTGUYS, and I all have different approaches. No right or wrong here, but each of us likely have our preferences.

For us to do a pulley swap, we do the following:

1. Remove MAC subwoofer from interior and remove access panel to gain access to pulleys, tensioner and general improved (belt tracking) visibility.
2. Relieve tensioner, and remove belt from SC pulley.
3. Remove airbox and airbox boot.
4. Remove all SC plumbing (the EGR and one of the hose clamps can be a pain)
5. Remove SC bolts and then carefully remove SC from engine.
6. On clean workbench, drain the SC fluid.
7. Using a relatively unique pulley puller, remove pulley from SC.
8. Remove snout from SC.
9. Using a press, install new pulley.
10. Re-install snout using an appropriate sealant. Torque to spec.
11. Add new SC Oil to specs
12. Install SC on engine
13. Torque SC to factory specs - and factory torque pattern.
14. Re-install hoses and EGR components
15. Re-install belt
16. Check belt tracking
17. Re-install interior components.
18. Re-install airbox boot and airbox.
19. Change sparkplugs (I too prefer the TR7IX's)
20. Start engine - confirm "normal" idle characteristics & belt tracking
21. Install MAFia (if specificed by tuner)
22. Install Tune to PCM.
23. Re-start engine to confirm proper operation.

Hopefully, I didn't miss a step in my description. My point is that there are a lot of steps - and a lot of areas where it helps to have experience and/or patience.

imo..if you want something done right, do it yourself if you have the time and are not a total mechanical spaz :lol

With good peoples here like Kendall and da' Shadow you can't go wrong :thumbsup

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Just make darn sure the Ford Tech has done this before and done it correctly. I love my local Ford dealer, upfront and honest; "We have no one here qualified to work on your GT", but they keep calling me for the $19.95 oil change special:rofl

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Thanks Guys for your help. This sounds like it takes a while to do! Any time estimates in hours? I will ask the tech how many he has done before but the dealership/tech was recommended to me by Kirby (Team Ford Northpoint) in Alpharetta, GA as the best in the area to do service...Tech = Jason. I still need to check with Kirby to see what he knows of their capability to do this job right. I will keep you guys posted on what I end up doing. Thanks for your help and I am loving my new FGT!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Installation Instructions for the FRPP Power Upgrade, pulley and tune (M-2005-GT) can be found in the FAQ section of the Ford GT Tech Section.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
When you install the MAFia is it necessary to reprogram the stock tune or custom tune?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
My Ford dealer charged me about $600 last year to install the Ford Racing pulley and did a great job.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
When you install the MAFia is it necessary to reprogram the stock tune or custom tune?

The MAFia's function is to scale the voltages coming from the MAF so that the car's ECU does not see a value that it would think is impossible - resulting in a CEL and limp mode.

The MAFia has about 6-8 user selectable scale value tables that it can use. When tuners develop a tune, there either do so with the MAFia, or not. So, when you purchase a tune from one of the fine tuner vendors on this forum, he will tell you IF a MAFis is needed and, if so, what value the MAFia should be set to.

In my experience, most of the pulley upgrade tunes that I have seen do not require the MAFia, but almost all of the Whipple and TT tunes, DO require the MAFia.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
My Ford dealer charged me about $600 last year to install the Ford Racing pulley and did a great job.

Thanks, that gives me a good idea for a ballpark expectation.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks Guys for your help. This sounds like it takes a while to do! Any time estimates in hours? I will ask the tech how many he has done before but the dealership/tech was recommended to me by Kirby (Team Ford Northpoint) in Alpharetta, GA as the best in the area to do service...Tech = Jason. I still need to check with Kirby to see what he knows of their capability to do this job right. I will keep you guys posted on what I end up doing. Thanks for your help and I am loving my new FGT!

Hey Rich, most of the Atlanta owners had the pulley swap done 2-3 years ago. Some, including mine, were done by The GT Guys when they were here in 2007. When both Jason and Scott were at Team Ford Marietta, they usually worked on GT's as a team. One or the other, or both, did 2 GT pulley swaps that I remember. If Jason has not done one on his own, I can give you Scott's cell. :cheers

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Kirby,

That is great. I will talk to Jason to see and may need Scott's cell number. Do you know if the GT Guys will be in Atlanta again any time soon?