K40 Radar Detector

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Has anyone installed the K40 concealed radar detector in their GT? How about some other types? I have a K40 kit but wondered if someone else has done it before and where did they mount the receivers?

John

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes, I have one. Not that I need it as I never violate a law of man or nature.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Yes, I have one. Not that I need it as I never violate a law of man or nature.

Me either, but I seem to always be next to someone who is and they mistake me for them. :biggrin I'd be interested in where they mount the receivers, not for me, but for the guy next to me.

John

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Mounted on the front air dam and above rear license plate.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Since the laser detectors need a clear line of sight to the Lidar unit, wherever you mount them would be visible to any informed, or uniformed, person. In CA laser detectors are not leg*l for use on the public roads. However the fines for their use is less than almost any moving violation.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...In CA laser detectors are not leg*l for use on the public roads....

Is that true??? I know jammers are illegal, but believe that detectors are still OK.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Has anyone installed the K40 concealed radar detector in their GT? How about some other types? I have a K40 kit but wondered if someone else has done it before and where did they mount the receivers?

John

Wish you would have said something before we shipped your car. We could have installed it for you.....
There are many good guys in your area. They will probably chime in~ :thumbsup

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I know we have :dead: but what are the latest results for the best detector "bang for the buck? I prefer non-permanent mount (plug in lighter or battery whichever is better)....also would like to know the best "bang for the buck" permanent mount as well. 3rd request.......any info on a jammer/detector combo? Just any info is appreciated.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I do have the K40 installed on my GT, but seeing as the car is put away for the winter weather, I can't provide you with any pics for about 3 more months. :shrug

Last edited:

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I had the K40 in my Aston and Lambo. Saved my butt several times in both cars. I also have a Valentine, but I just don't like it on the windshield obscuring my view. I am going to review locations this week and decide where to put it.

John

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I mounted my Valentine ABOVE the rear view mirror. Works great and really doesnt block any part of the field of vision

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I mounted my Valentine ABOVE the rear view mirror. Works great and really doesnt block any part of the field of vision

I'm going to give it try and see how it looks.

John

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
JSCB - John, Welcome!

use the search function.

Key thread on how to wire a V1 is.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764&highlight=Valentine

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
JSCB - John, Welcome!

use the search function.

Key thread on how to wire a V1 is.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764&highlight=Valentine

I found this earlier and thought it was really great help, but I am still interested in those who have installed the K40. I have a new kit thats been sitting around and this seems like a good installation.

John

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I use the V1 windshield mount in my GT also above the rearview mirror. Has always done the job for me and its almost undetectable. I can appreciate you wanting to do the k40 built in one also. If done right they are pretty trick!

JsmithGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2008
Houston, TX
has anyone heard good or bad about the new passport 9500ci....

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
What is the scoop on jammers? Do they make a jammer/detector combo? (both hardwired and portable)

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Both the V1 and the K40 work well for me as I have V1's installed in my Viper and EVO and the K40 in the GT and a Ferrari that has since been sold. My rule of thumb of which one to choose depends on whether I can find a good location for the V1 and in the cases of EVO and Viper, I was able to find a location ABOVE and to the right of the rear view mirror so the V1 pracically is out of the way and even out of sight, so I chose the V1. In the case of the GT, I felt it would have been neater to go with the K40 and then I added the laser jammer in the front of the car. I recently got a ticket from a laser gun while I was going away form the cop in the EVO and I wonder if it could have been avoided if I had the K40 and the rear laser jammer installed. Good thing it was the first ticket I have had in over 5 years so it didn't affect my insurance.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Glad you came out of the closet Bruce, I would have never outed you. In fact Bruce's guy did my install, and the quality of workmanship is spectacular.

I didn't know a jammer opton was available..... :)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes Chris, it is.