Just finished Accufab install! 1 person, 3 hours, no decklid removal, no jack,no lift

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Finished Accufab pipes install!1 person, 3 hours, no decklid removal, no jack,no lift

I wanted to share with everyone who doesn't have a lift or a few people to help out with an exhaust install. You can do it with 1 person!

Truthfully, I didn't expect to be able to complete the job on my own and was surprised that I didn't need to call a few buddies to help me out.

Here are some tricks:
1) You really don't have to remove the decklid. If you think about it, the decklid is higher than the rear surround that it attaches to and the decklid is higher. I didn't remove the rear under engine cover either. I just removed the rearmost 8 bolts and this dropped it enough to get the clearance I needed.

2) You have to put some muscle into it. When you lift the stock muffler from the area, I took 1 side and lifted it on top of the area where the stock airbox resides. Then I went to the other side and did the same. Then laid a towel over the rear brace points and lifted each side onto that, and then put one foot on the rear tire and bear hugged the muffler and pulled it out. It really wasn't that bad. I wasn't sure I could lift it, but since it was starting from such a high point it made it easy.

3) I thought I was going to have to drop the tranny to get the muffler out because clearance was tight and this would have made it a 2 person job. However, 2 things gave me the clearance I was looking for. After removing the upper grill above the exhaust tips and pushing the tranny arm forward and down, it gave me a few more inches of clearance I was looking for.

4) Since the decklid was not removed, the installation of the new pipes was a cinch!

5) It took 3 hours and would probably take 2.5 now that I have done it and learned a few things.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Good job! I wish I had known this last week before I paid my dealer 6 hours labor to install mine. They removed the decklid and did it the hard way. This has become such a popular exhaust system that I'm sure plenty of owners will benefit from your instructions. :cheers

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Nice lthrvpr :cheers
Where are you located. How much was the cost of the system and what were all the components that came in your KIT?

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for the write-up

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I know we all love our GT's - so bear-hugging various components is heart warming! :biggrin

You guys who personally modify your cars are extremely brave. I have visions of some of you advancing, in a menacing manner, upon your GT in the gloom of your garage, with a large wrench in one hand and a new part in the other.

I am to mechanics what Mr Bean might be to cardiac surgery.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
lthlvpr said:
I wanted to share with everyone who doesn't have a lift or a few people to help out with an exhaust install. You can do it with 1 person!

Truthfully, I didn't expect to be able to complete the job on my own and was surprised that I didn't need to call a few buddies to help me out.

Here are some tricks:
1) You really don't have to remove the decklid. If you think about it, the decklid is higher than the rear surround that it attaches to and the decklid is higher. I didn't remove the rear under engine cover either. I just removed the rearmost 8 bolts and this dropped it enough to get the clearance I needed.

2) You have to put some muscle into it. When you lift the stock muffler from the area, I took 1 side and lifted it on top of the area where the stock airbox resides. Then I went to the other side and did the same. Then laid a towel over the rear brace points and lifted each side onto that, and then put one foot on the rear tire and bear hugged the muffler and pulled it out. It really wasn't that bad. I wasn't sure I could lift it, but since it was starting from such a high point it made it easy.

3) I thought I was going to have to drop the tranny to get the muffler out because clearance was tight and this would have made it a 2 person job. However, 2 things gave me the clearance I was looking for. After removing the upper grill above the exhaust tips and pushing the tranny arm forward and down, it gave me a few more inches of clearance I was looking for.

4) Since the decklid was not removed, the installation of the new pipes was a cinch!

5) It took 3 hours and would probably take 2.5 now that I have done it and learned a few things.

Hope this helps!
I want the X pipe and appreciate your advice.

1) Moving tranny arm forward and down? Is this something that is easy to do, or requires tools

2) Sound difference? Lower burble? Higher/louder sound when accelerating? Drone noise? Can you still speak at under 4,000?

3) Heat under the cover--hotter? Does it dissipate faster? ENgine temp lower?

Thanks again for your help?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Big question - how many Gin and Tonics did it take. Previous post took 4 :lol

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I love the sound of the x-pipe. Much deeper/lower sound and more aggressive too. I also have the FORD Racing cat delete pipes which replaces the cats with mufflers. It reduced weight, significantly reduced heat, and helped keep the sound manageable.
The amount of heat reduction seems noticeable.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
CSS and others,

See this link of my accufab install to see and HEAR the pipe.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2807

Eric

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
lthlvpr said:
I love the sound of the x-pipe. Much deeper/lower sound and more aggressive too. I also have the FORD Racing cat delete pipes which replaces the cats with mufflers. It reduced weight, significantly reduced heat, and helped keep the sound manageable.
The amount of heat reduction seems noticeable.

So you have muffers replacing the cats and the Accufab x-pipe? Where can I buy the cat delete pipes/muffers from?

BlackICE

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Neilda......love the reference to Mr. Bean :lol :willy :lol :willy