Joe Macura & Making A 427 Sideoiler run 7000+

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi,

I just love the 427 has such a deep low rumble at idle, harder and harder to find people now a days who recognize how good they sound, also performs well, had one in mt 67 Shelby for the past 30 years.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbjtFTJU4_4

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
That dude is super smooth. Anyone who has ever auto X'd knows how hard it is to go fast and have smooth & accurate transitions. For all the power that baby really hooks up. Fun to watch and hear.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
That dude is super smooth. Anyone who has ever auto X'd knows how hard it is to go fast and have smooth & accurate transitions. For all the power that baby really hooks up. Fun to watch and hear.

Thank you, Scott does make it look easy but in reality it is very difficult because it will break loose instantly if he is too quick on the throttle. He only got to 75% throttle twice on that run and the traction control pulled timing back to 15 Degrees BTDC when he did. There is a movement to handicap the car with a 2 second penalty going in because of competitor complaints. All cars with less than a 100" wheel base or any tube frame car under 3000 lb will be assessed 2 seconds to "equalize" the competition. Our reward for making the car handle, accelerate and stop is more work! I guess it is a compliment to our efforts.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Latest outing with CSX3170 last weekend, over 9200 several places. The red "heads up" reflection on the windshield indicates the traction control is pulling timing, as much as 20 degrees. We have a way to go to hook this thing up on concrete.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow. Just wow.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
thanks for sharing somehow I missed this thread what an amazing machine...

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
What a cool run.. Too much fun:)

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
It is hard to believe this performance is from a 50 year old car. I am still amazed every time I drive mine.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Unfrigginbelievable. I'm speechless!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
It is hard to believe this performance is from a 50 year old car. I am still amazed every time I drive mine.
Actually if will be 54 years old in November, I bought it in November of 1965. They are so short, narrow and light it takes a very skilled driver with quick hands to extract the performance that is within. This is a very extreme example but it was a handful even brand new with about 1/2 the HP it has now.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Latest outing with CSX3170 last weekend, over 9200 several places. The red "heads up" reflection on the windshield indicates the traction control is pulling timing, as much as 20 degrees. We have a way to go to hook this thing up on concrete.

that thing sounds mean! whats it got for a motor in it?

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Enjoyed this post from beginning to end. Thanks

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
that thing sounds mean! whats it got for a motor in it?
It is described within this article but it is an FE based aluminum engine that makes 820 HP @ 8200 and 562 lb/ft@7000 red line 9400 rpm, it is 440 cid.

Reactions: B.M.F.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I love videos that make your palms sweat and get your heart racing. Thanks for sharing.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats to Cobra498 (aka Cobra #3170 in other places)

What an engineering accomplishment to transform a Cobra into this.

Reactions: GTMD

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Congrats to Cobra498 (aka Cobra #3170 in other places)

What an engineering accomplishment to transform a Cobra into this.
Thanks Tony, I just saw this post.
For those who don't know, we upgraded the car with a Bosch Mk5 Club Sport racing ABS this year but not without issues. Seems that my 65 amp Denzo one wire alternator does not do a good job controlling output voltage above 9000 rpm. We saw some spikes on the data acquisition that went to 16.2 volts, unfortunately the Bosch system does a 2 second reset when it sees voltage over 16 and turns the ABS off. Driver confidence is impacted along with lap times. I think I have a fix for that but we also also found broken valve spring tips (3) during the winterizing process. I have asked PSI for input on this issue because dropping a valve is not something I want in my future. Next year we plan on no more upgrades just development of the ABS and trying some lower front ride heights and spring combinations. The ABS gained about .2G in decel so it was worth the effort. The Cobra stops better than my GT3 now, so should be more competitive in 2020.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Awesome tech work! How are you going to deal with the spikes? Having the ABS cut out isn't confidence-building. Is it better wiring (multiple rails) or different alternator?

How did you find it? Does the data logging stuff just normally capture this or was it something you suspected and added instrumentation for?

Ain't Computers Wunnerful?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
It is described within this article but it is an FE based aluminum engine that makes 820 HP @ 8200 and 562 lb/ft@7000 red line 9400 rpm, it is 440 cid.

that’s awesome. I’m having a billet aluminum wet fe block made for a cammer project I’m doing. I plan on turning it 8500-9k and it’s going in a pro touring car I’m gonna build.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Tony,
We log most critical parameters with two separate loggers one for the car and the other for the engine. Scott noticed that the abs did not always work and we could not find any error codes set in the Bosch system.
We then looked at video and found that the ABS Mil light flickered several times during a run.
We overlaid RPM vs time and found that it occurred at maximum RPM. We then looked at system voltage and
saw some spikes above 16 volts. The Bosch ABS system has a voltage range of 10 - 16 volts. I contacted Bosch and they said there was a soft reset at 16 volts that shuts the system down for 2 seconds then restarts it. The Bosch system has 3 input circuits: a 40 amp pump circuit, a 25 amp valve circuit and a 10 amp electronic circuit.
I am going to feed the electronics with two silicon diodes in series to drop the voltage about 1.6 volts. That should keep me well within the operating range since alternator voltage never goes under 14.2 volts with the engine running. Looking at their circuit diagram it should work, if not I can get 75 amp high current diodes and drop the voltage to the whole unit.

BMF I don't know what stroke crank you have but if it is over 3.75" keep an eye on piston speed. I never ran my
4.25 stroker over 8200 because of that. If I had your head flow I would not have to turn this thing so hard. If you do plan on running to 9000 on a regular basis you should probably have Jon Kaase build your engine so it will live. He and Ed Pink are the only ones I would trust with a Cammer build.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Tony,
We log most critical parameters with two separate loggers one for the car and the other for the engine. Scott noticed that the abs did not always work and we could not find any error codes set in the Bosch system.
We then looked at video and found that the ABS Mil light flickered several times during a run.
We overlaid RPM vs time and found that it occurred at maximum RPM. We then looked at system voltage and
saw some spikes above 16 volts. The Bosch ABS system has a voltage range of 10 - 16 volts. I contacted Bosch and they said there was a soft reset at 16 volts that shuts the system down for 2 seconds then restarts it. The Bosch system has 3 input circuits: a 40 amp pump circuit, a 25 amp valve circuit and a 10 amp electronic circuit.
I am going to feed the electronics with two silicon diodes in series to drop the voltage about 1.6 volts. That should keep me well within the operating range since alternator voltage never goes under 14.2 volts with the engine running. Looking at their circuit diagram it should work, if not I can get 75 amp high current diodes and drop the voltage to the whole unit.

BMF I don't know what stroke crank you have but if it is over 3.75" keep an eye on piston speed. I never ran my
4.25 stroker over 8200 because of that. If I had your head flow I would not have to turn this thing so hard. If you do plan on running to 9000 on a regular basis you should probably have Jon Kaase build your engine so it will live. He and Ed Pink are the only ones I would trust with a Cammer build.

I'm gonna do the short block locally. It's gonna have a 4.25 crank, dailey dry sump, Custom billet intake with 3 twin 65mm ford racing throttle bodies to mimic a tri power, but efi. I talked to kasse last weekend at pri. Kurt Neighbor is gonna help me with valve train stuff being he has a top alcohol deal that rev's 10200 and makes 2500hp. Kurt is probably one of the best and most knowledgeable in the country on them, even over Jon and Ed. They are all very talented and smart men! I plan on making 850whp with it. It will be on e85 and have 13:5 to 1 compression. Should be pretty easy to do.