Is it stupid...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
SteveA said:
Can I come take yours for a ride as well...you know just to see if they drive the same.
I think a blast up the 15 to Vegas at mach II would be a great test. :biggrin
You're on if you can support my Craps habit. :lol
I have sworn off Vegas for a while. I always seem to walk up to the table that is cooling down. :bored

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sort of reminds me of the first time I was with a woman... I was 11, she was 18

:party :party :party :party :party

sometimes you have to go for the gold... it was a great decision :banana :thumbsup :banana

The GT is just as easy a decision to make as loosing your virginity....no regrets

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
11 vs. 18.... Hmmm, bony, that's a pretty good power-to-weight ratio! :biggrin

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Actually, I was probably one of the few GT owners who decided to buy the car ONLY after testdriving it and several other similar cars including the Lambo Gallardo and the C6 Z06. The drivetrain and shifter is buttery smooth, and the handling and grip are incredible. This is what sold me on the car. I just could not believe how easy it was to drive...and how responsive it is! And it felt so unique and different.
Personally, I would never buy a car without testdriving it...but I have always been able to test drive any car that I was considering buying.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
sort of reminds me of the first time I was with a woman... I was 11, she was 18

Wow, Bony, your sister sounds pretty cool!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
cudacharlie, Check out www.wcdriving.com This is a great way to check out the GT, the Z06 and those Italian jobs all in the same day. I did this in Miami in May. It was well worth the price.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Some things ya just know.

I have a friend with a GT and he offered to let me drive it before I bought mine. As he lives 300 miles away I declined as I had known I wanted one since I first heard Ford was going to build it. I never drove one until I picked mine up. It has exceeded all expectations. :thumbsup If I was a Ford dealer there is no way I would let anybody test drive a GT. Most dealers don't even let the prep mechanics drive the car. On the plus side, when you pick up your car it's nice to know that 5 or 6 guys haven't test driven it to "see what it will do". You will regret it if you don't buy one. :banana

Chip

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I can't think of the last time I test drove a car before buying one - I had a tootle around London in the Murcielago (which proved nothing) but that's about it. If the GT is unruly (which it's not) you wouldn't get close to finding this out on a test drive.

Serious sports cars have nuances between them that only owning one will show and it's kind of hard in a test drive situation to discover the edges.

phoenix

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2005
Cartersville, Georgia
I bought mine without a test drive, or even sitting in it - it is the best street car I have ever owned, or driven.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nota4re said:
Wow, Bony, your sister sounds pretty cool!

No sister sadly, :biggrin it was the house cleaner :lol Now if I had a sister, it might have occured a year or two earlier :rofl :lol

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
californiacuda said:
SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT

Cuda, who said that... was it Confucius, Plato or is it taken from Sun Tzu's, The Art of War ?

I just can't place it! :confused

Bony, as for you... as one HillBilly said to another, "If she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for ours!" :biggrin

AND CudaCharlie, you drag out your purchase as long as you want... these guys on the forum love it! Their helpful advice, dipped in barbs of sarcasm and marinated in disdain is just a testosterone fueled attempt to hide the fact that they care and want to offer Dr.Phil-like sage advice on GT-love... :wink

Last edited:

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Drag it out?!?! I'm trying to light the fuse on this puppy! But I've been at work until last week, and when I'm at work, it's like, 24-7 with no time to do anything but quick trips on the internet. So I try to use great sites like this to gather ammo and info for the upcoming window of time (basically this month) when I can actually leave the building and try to score the car.

I only pause cause I've never driven cars that loooooooow before. All mine go pretty fast (nothing like a GT though...) but only ONE of them can turn corners, and all of them are at least twice as tall as a GT! So I'm thinking, "will I feel like I'm lying on my back on a skateboard if I'm out in traffic in the GT?"

The more I think about it, I'm fine with not actually driving one before I buy, but I probably should try to get a ride-along in the passenger seat.

I'll bet I'll have the issue decided before the driver grabs third gear. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I not only bought the most expensive version (Heritage) but spent over $20,000 in upgrades before I ever even drove it. Figured if the best car drivers and critics in the world loved the hell out it and said it was easy to drive and handled beautifully, they probably know better than me. Was I the biggest fool of all, doesn't seem like it to me, but that's the fool talking.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
cudacharlie said:
So I'm thinking, "will I feel like I'm lying on my back on a skateboard if I'm out in traffic in the GT?"

Nope ....................

I was a little claustrophobic (I borrowed that word from eshrink) at first with the low roof line, but that went away in about two minutes - now it feels spacious.

No initial drive and no regrets - well one - I can't drive it even more of the time.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I bought a Viper R/T with never having been in the car. Bought a GTS the same way. And I bought the Ford GT with only having seen them in the autoshow. No regrets. My head hits the roof almost but I sit with the seat more vertical then most. Your not going to know the cars character until you beat on it, which will not happen in a test drive.