Is a Heritage worth it?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I go back and forth about trading 1 of my GTs for a Heritage. Oddly, my wife likes the Heritage better than my blue GT but not my white.

Is a Heritage worth the extra $$$ for a tightwad like me? Thanks

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Depends on why you want it. If you are buying to collect than heritage is the best on that front......minus maybe sonic blue. If you are buying to drive I would stick with the color that makes you happy......and you can always wrap it on occasion to change the color for a change of pace. :biggrin :cheers

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
IMHO, no.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Although my car is red I have always liked the Heritage. I think they really personify the whole aspect of the GT40. If your wanting opinions that help you justify pulling the trigger on one then I would say do it !! If i'm ever in the market for a second Ford GT I would go looking for a Heritage for sure.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
They are too flashy for my taste (hard to believe I know).

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
I have a really simple view on this - a Heritage is the same car but a different colour scheme?

Why therefore are they so much more than the cost of a professional colour change?

My car is red but with a few thousand $ could easily transform to a Heritage......

I said that my view was simple - and thats not an invitation for a character assasination haha..

Tony h

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
High quality professional paint jobs are quite pricey in the US. I suspect more than a few thousand. GT Guys did a few cars I believe in a similar pattern, but different color scheme.

I have a really simple view on this - a Heritage is the same car but a different colour scheme?

Why therefore are they so much more than the cost of a professional colour change?

My car is red but with a few thousand $ could easily transform to a Heritage......

I said that my view was simple - and thats not an invitation for a character assasination haha..

Tony h

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I still remember when looking for my first GT back in late 2006. An area dealer had a new Heritage they couldn't unload at the end of 2006, that they would have sold for $5k less than sticker. At that time, I thought a bit too flashy for my taste and ultimately bought a Tungsten for sticker price. I never would have thought that the Heritages would have gone up so much.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind having one now, but after passing on that deal from way back when, don't see myself paying the premium.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I think it just depends on the era of the GT40 which one wants to emulate - if that's what you're after. The Heritage signifies the era after Ford left the racing program, and John Wyer got approval to carry on privately. He got the Gulf sponsorship and raced the cars for 2 more years, winning Le Mans both years with GT40/P1075 - a remarkable feat. If you want to emulate the original 1964 GT40's, you would prefer a Centennial White car with Blue Stripes. Or, if you wish to look like the original Le Mans winning car of Bruce McLaren in 1966, you'll want a Mark II Black with White Stripes (or were they silver?). Then again, the Le Mans winning 1967 Mark IV GT40 of Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt was, of course, Mark IV Red with White stripes. I think Andretti's car at Sebring was Speed Yellow with Black Stripes.

So - pick the color of your favorite winner and have fun with it!! - Me, I knew Dan a long time ago for a little while, and still wish I could drive half as well as he did.

:cheers

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I still remember when looking for my first GT back in late 2006. An area dealer had a new Heritage they couldn't unload at the end of 2006, that they would have sold for $5k less than sticker. At that time, I thought a bit too flashy for my taste and ultimately bought a Tungsten for sticker price. I never would have thought that the Heritages would have gone up so much.

Ironically, I wouldn't mind having one now, but after passing on that deal from way back when, don't see myself paying the premium.

I don't know Mitchell, if you'd bought that Heritage, where would I be now?:eek

Jeff

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Jeff - I can't think of a nicer guy (and your lovely wife Gina) for it to have gone to.

gzl

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2010
I say go with the best available car you have an opportunity to buy. I looked at a white with blue stripes GT that I fell in love with but it had too many miles. I then searched high and low for a yellow one but was unable to find one that met my criteria. I happened to see a Heritage and fell in love. Wife saw it and she did as well. Ostentatious? Yes. Over the top? Yes. But a beautiful car. But they all are so really you can't go wrong.

H

HHGT

When your inside the car you can't see the color anyways so you could argue you're picking a color for everyone else to appreciate. Heritage is the Top Shelf of the liquor cabinet.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If I didn't have the emotional attachment of watching the white car get built, I would have sold it for a Heritage car. If you like it, why not? The opportunities for owning a supercar with an OEM paint job like that are few and far between. At the time, my wife thought it was a silly looking car. Now she loves it. As for why it costs so much, why does matching Ferrari luggage for a 458 cost $11,000?

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I agree with those who are or intend to be collectors - major values downstream for a multiple build GT will likely continue to be on the OEM Heritages. I thought the upcharge for the paint scheme was a bit pricey in 2005 but accurately forecast (doesn't happen often, believe me) that the ROI would be very good.

Like Dave, however, I'm locked onto my black stripe delete which I was also fortunate enough to witness its build. Unlike Dave, I've never considered trading or selling it for any other color GT (or love or money).

Re: Heritages, I remember seeing on the board here when Camilo got his, I thought what a perfect fit that was. And when Floridaho Chris modded his w/ the color-matched wheels, etc. how the entire car looked even better than factory-built.

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
If I were going to own multiple GTs, my second one would definitely be a Heritage. I didn't realize that until seeing one "in the flesh" (IMHO, more than any of the other colors, pictures don't come close to doing the Heritage justice; I think it's beautiful paint scheme really comes across more powerfully when you're right there looking at it). I'm still not convinced about the ROI in pure dollars, but when you add style and satisfaction to your "return on investment" criterion, they all have it in spades!

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
They are too flashy for my taste (hard to believe I know).

Wait wait wait...TOO FLASHY????? I thought all your other cars were painted in that speckly bass boat gold :biggrin

Its funny a friend and member here gave me no end of crap for the first 4 months I owned mine. He even went to the first Rally with me...low and behold if he doesn't have a big blue and orange car in the garage with a 9 on it...now we can't park next to each other or the jokes fly..something about 69 :willy

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
$$$$$$ ..NO......The Love, YES

I go back and forth about trading 1 of my GTs for a Heritage. Oddly, my wife likes the Heritage better than my blue GT but not my white.

Is a Heritage worth the extra $$$ for a tightwad like me? Thanks
How do you put a $$ amount on love? They both are gals that are priceless..........GO BLU

Attachments

• KONABLU-02.jpg
    KONABLU-02.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 219
  • KONABLU-03.jpg
    KONABLU-03.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 225
H

HHGT

George is all class and that's all I'm gonna say about that... Lets go have lunch buddy.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
For me, I knew immediately that if I was going to have an FGT it had to be the Heritage.
That being said I would have taken any one that I could have gotten and still would.
If I didn't have a Heritage I would want one and wouldn't be satisfied until I got one.
Having one puts me in a place where if I get another it's a good thing but if I don't get a second one I still have my Heritage and so it's all good either way.

Is it worth the premium...for me... yes.