Inane Ramblings: The Ford GT and Ferrari Lust

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
That seems like no fun to me. I feel like I am just getting acquainted with a car at 1,000 miles. I could not fathom getting a new car, especially a new Ferrari, and driving it less than 500 miles and giving it back to the dealer. I don't want to say I owned a car, I want to say I drove the car.....a lot!!! :driving:

I spoke to a couple of F-car dealers before I bought the GT. (I was interested in a 575 or a 430 at the time) Now mine were the big city dealers but I did not like feeling like they were gracing me with their time in my quest to get answers/potentially buy a car. That and learning about the "service" records. How everything that encompassed servicing the car had to be documented perfectly or it would affect the resale value. It is not that I don't maintain my cars (As Kendall can attest to by my frequent visits) but it seemed like more work than I wanted for a fun car.

I would still like a Ferrari some day, but short of a big lottery win it will be an older one that has been driven. Enzo it seems like you have put some miles on yours. Has your maintenance been mostly routine or has there been more involved if you don't mind me asking?

Mostly routine stuff. Fluid change annually. The problem with the 360's is that Ferrari recommends timing belt changes every 3 years. That adds about $1800 to the bill every 3 to 5 years. Constant debate on the Ferrari forums about what is a reasonable interval. The later models have timing chains and don't need to be changed.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
A good friend of mine, with multiple ferraris, decided to sell his 430 spyder, 3 pedal car at the same time I was deciding on what to buy. I think the 360 is better looking than the 430, but the 430 is miles ahead in technology and better on maintenance. I love top down motoring, and greatly enjoy driving the NSX with the top off. I could have bought the 430 for less money than I'm into the GT for, but in the end, I just didn't have the "lust" for the 430, that I did for the GT. I got the GT with just over 4,000 miles on it, the very end of June last year. By the time I had to put it away for the winter, it had more than 8,000 miles on it, and everyone of them was fully enjoyed. I know that I've "dented" the resale value of the GT by putting on as many miles in a few months as the previous owner had done in 5 years, but hell, I bought it to drive. If I had put that many miles on the 430, it would have been more than a dent in the value. The funny thing is, my friend who sold the 430, misses it. He has a 599 and a Scuderia, and is currently "negotiating" with the current owner about buying back the 430. In the past, I had "leased" my toys, and thus was able to obtain a new one every couple of years. I ended up buying the NSX off lease, and it's now the longest I've ever owned a car. I bought the GT and when my nephew asked me last week if I wanted anything else currently, I told him no, I'm real pleased where I'm at, can't think of anything else I'd want right now. I think that the GT and the NSX are "keepers", the 458 might be good for a quick "fling", but it's definitely not something you "marry for life".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
F Car ownership is a celibacy cult: solid gold chastity belt on super model.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I love to see "w. mitty" tag as the author of a thread. I usually end up chuckling to myself about 'what a fine purchase I made' when I'm done reading.

Keep 'em coming.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
F Car ownership is a celibacy cult: solid gold chastity belt on super model.

WHAA HA HA. Very well said. I'll still be laughing about this tomorrow.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I love to see "w. mitty" tag as the author of a thread. I usually end up chuckling to myself about 'what a fine purchase I made' when I'm done reading.

Keep 'em coming.

Many thanks Fubar.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
was tempted by this younger woman, her fine undergarments and fast moves. But would I trade? No.

Recently, I was tempted, by a mistress with the name of Empyfor12see, but stayed true to my one and only...

RandyMc3.jpg

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
"IT’S THE ONE”
Boy they sure nailed that one!!
Maybe they should have said .ITS THE ONE AND THERE IS NO OTHER ,EVER!
Mitty ,I like how you think!

TM328

GT Owner
Oct 21, 2009
New England
I am a huge Ferrari fan and always have been. I have had a 328 for the last 7 years and it's a fantastic car. I went to the dealership and started looking at 430's in 2009 and every car I went to was locked up while the salesman paid no attention to me in t-shirt and jeans. I regrouped and I found a great GT at a fair price 1.5 years ago and have watched the 430 age before my eyes while my GT is just amazing in every way. Ferrari makes great cars but I don't consider their designs timeless anymore. My service experiences with Ferrari are full of scare tactics, adding more than requested service and the attitude that the more you spend the better your car will be. Its a turn off and a major reason why I dont want another Ferrari. Ford service is a pleasure and they just don't demand $3K-5K service every 3 years. Not one regret with the GT.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I find that the Ferrari’s date themselves

snap

GT Owner
May 15, 2010
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was always afraid that I was going to break something on the Ferraris or Lambos. This would mean shop time at the best time of the year. I now have a car who's weakest link is between the tires and the road. It's a keeper!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If look at what a 360 and a Ford GT sold for in 2006 and what they sell for now.Well you know where I’m going!!!
Yup the Ford that spanked the F car again!
The GT is a timeless beauty!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If look at what a 360 and a Ford GT sold for in 2006 and what they sell for now.Well you know where I’m going!!!
Yup the Ford that spanked the F car again!
The GT is a timeless beauty!
Valid for 2005, no 2006 F360, but even a 2006 F430 compared to a 2006 FGT, the F car got spanked on resale big time. :lol

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Ferrari's "not gorgeous" problem is an issue

458 is insect, reptile-like and ageing like a banana

Would you marry an unattractive Woman?

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Very well put Mitty.... Of all the cars in my collection, My FGT is still by far my most favorite to drive.. There is no other car like it and mine will never be for sale., it will be handed down to the kids... On a side note, I did buy a car 2 months ago to beat on a bit this summer... 99 F355 with 3 pedals, only 11k miles.. Flame away... LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20140208_151413_215.jpg
    IMG_20140208_151413_215.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20140208_151358_493 (1).jpg
    IMG_20140208_151358_493 (1).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 210

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I saw the 360 at the Gateway Museum / hotel. Hendricks had a "drive a car" deal and it included Ford GT, F360 (spyder == convertible), Aston Martin DB9 (also a convertible) and Corvette Z06. Everyone I talked to voted for the Ford GT as their favorite, and the F360 as 2nd because it had the paddle shifter for those who weren't comfortable with the manual gearbox. DB9 was very pretty. Corvette noone liked much.

All things consdiered for today's money, the 360 spyder might be a good deal for a well maintained instance. The Aston Martin was also very pretty, but someone put a jar of mustard in the cup holder...

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I like those muscle cars begging to show their full bodies in Doctor V's garage.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I like those muscle cars begging to show their full bodies in Doctor V's garage.

Yes! Let's see the next picture Doc!

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Very well put Mitty.... Of all the cars in my collection, My FGT is still by far my most favorite to drive.. There is no other car like it and mine will never be for sale., it will be handed down to the kids... On a side note, I did buy a car 2 months ago to beat on a bit this summer... 99 F355 with 3 pedals, only 11k miles.. Flame away... LOL

Doc- First of all…wow! Another "destination garage.." secondly how do you like the 355? It looks very clean.:thumbsup

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Yes! Let's see the next picture Doc!

Yes- let's see more of those mopars! I think I spot a '70 superbird and a 440 6pack roadrunner!