In the Market for a Ford GT Again

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
NOTE: My previous WTB thread ended up full of clutter and off-topic discussion so it was deleted. If you have a car to pitch to me, great I would love to hear about it. If you know of a car fitting my needs, great I would love to hear about it. If you have a question for me about MY search, great. If you want to discuss your search, lets take the discussion to IM or a new thread.....Thanks!

NOTE 2: I cashed in a few investments over the Holidays to raise my budget, now set at $235k or so. Hopefully this will open up a few more opportunities.

Good Day Everyone,

After 6 years of eating ramen noodles and working as much overtime as they would give me, I am in the market to buy a GT. I was at a similar point 6+ years ago, and bought a Lamborghini Diablo Roadster from a group of a Ford GT, Ferrari Scuderia, and Ferrari Boxer. And I’m ending up with the same list this time strangely enough, as the industry has seemed to go sideways since 2010 with cars that are fast, but numb and isolated. And damn, the depreciation new exotic cars have now is horrific. I can’t afford to lose $15k-$20k per year.

Preferred budget is as close to $200k as I can get, so realistically I would end up with a higher mile car (30-40k miles?) with possibly a Car Fax blemish (but not interested in a Salvage car) for a minor accident. Even though I wouldn’t have many choices, I would want a car with stripes and wheel options. Same with color preferences, but for grins I would prefer:

• White
  • Red
  • Tungsten
I would appreciate any leads you have.

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Update:

Here are the cars I have attempted to perform due diligence on towards purchase that didn’t work out for one reason or another, just documenting the low end of the Market (because it is frantic at the moment).

• Terry Cord’s 84k mile Red no stripe car – Ask $190k. Terry was a great guy to discuss the cars with, and I learned a lot from him. In the end, the car was too modified for my taste, and I couldn’t wrap my head around the mileage
  • Houston 17k mile red 4 option car – Ask $235k. So this car was hanging around my home base for 8-10 months at the same ask. I wish I had committed to getting a GT earlier, but I finally went to see this car in person Nov 8th…..you can guess the rest, the Ford vs Ferrari movie opened up the next week and the car sold the day the movie opened (for ask according to the dealer). This is the “one that got away” that I wish I had started on earlier
  • Hawaiian 28k mile White car – Ask $220k. Well, I didn’t get very far on this because I had trouble finding both a guy on the ground there to go have a look and someone qualified to inspect it on the island. The car was on the market about 10 days before a you tuber hit the BIN button….unfortunately, judging from recent videos the jacknut is treating it like a $10 hooker….sad
  • Oklahoma White 44k mile car – Ask $238k. This car has some modifications I didn’t care for but still would have gone forward with if there were fewer yellow flags (a few of these being the car had a lien against it, the mechanics (at 2 shops) who had done work on the car wouldn’t return a phone call, and I couldn’t find a local inspector) and I didn’t have a personal issue (employment scare) that put me at a dead stop for a week. The owner related he had multiple offers in the $210k area (I was willing to pay a little more). I assume the car is sold then, although it is still listed as of 12/28
  • Houston White 4 option 14k mile car – Ask $240k. Showing how frantic the market is, this car was listed on a Friday afternoon with no pictures (they were added Saturday AM). I saw the ad on Saturday morning and was standing next to the car (local) an hour later…..and there was already a deposit and 2 back-up offers on it (I was told it would take $235k to buy it). I didn’t really feel bad about missing out here because talking with the dealer, it was IMO really never for sale on the open market. They just passed it internally from one Client (consignor) to another (buyer)
I have since made a couple of offers (at my new budget) over the phone to dealers listing cars in the $259k-$265k area that have been on the market more than 90 days, but no takers or counters. No big deal.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Hello sure hope you find what your looking for. We have several Forum members in Houston that certainly could aid you in an inspection, however, Rich Brooks is the guy you would want to fly into a location for this. A mastermind!

Do you know what you want? 40,000 miles.... heck 79,000 miles on these cars is nothing! Frankly, Terry's car was a real bargain and a few of us are kicking ourselves for not buying it at that price.... But the best part is that car landed in Texas 50 miles from me, so we will get to continue to see this beauty.

BJ Motors in Houston has several for sale. Visit with Bernie. Careful of buying from the Lufkin area.... Now is a great time to be buying... Maybe invest in a trip to Scottsdale for Barrett Jacskon (attend Chip's Dinner) and meet some Forum guys or hit Mecum in Florida.... At these 2 locations you can see a number of them side by side..

Watch BAT auctions ....... https://bringatrailer.com/ford/gt/

Lastly, one of the BEST buys (MORE THAN YOU BUDGET but nothing wrong with Ramen noodles) is Eddie Hill's Heritage.... there's lot's of pics of it here... LOTS!!!!! He is here in Texas! and Money talks....

Best of luck!!!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Thanks Doug,
If a car becomes available in Houston, I would get my regular mechanic to do the inspection.....if outside Houston, I would call on Rich if needed. I called BJ motors on Saturday and talked to them for a few minutes. They won't have anything that fits in my budget. They are all in that $275-325k ask range that really doesn't move very quickly.

Haha, I know who you are talking about in Lufkin....

One thing I know about myself is that I'm not a guy that feels comfortable in an auction setting. So no Mecum, BAT, etc....

I already offered Eddie $200k (in fun, because he said he's not getting any offers) but for some reason that didn't go over well...LOL. No, I'm definately not in the Heritage market.

What I want? The White 14k mile car that was really never for sale at $235-240k would have been perfect......that was a seriously pretty car.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I wouldn't let modifications scare you, nor mileage that much. Buy the seller, not the car is what many say.
In addition, also buy who maintained the car.
I would not hesitate to buy a higher mileage modified car for instance if owned by a conscientious forum member, and GT Guys or Kendall maintained it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Sims

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I'm OK with basic mods (tune, pulley, exhaust, aluminum seat inserts), but really don't care for stuff like bumper delete, suspension, removing stripe kits, aftermarket wheels, painting stock wheels black, etc. As far as mileage, I felt better talking to Terry and Rich enough to chase a 44k mile car, but would rather be 30k or less.

I'm a big believer in buying the seller.....

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Funny - Bumper delete is the one mod I wish I did much sooner. Really love how it looks.
Be patient and do proper due diligence - you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Rich is fantastic for a PPI, but there is only one of him.

Additional well regarded, in this community, PPI options are:

Kendall who is in CA https://www.cooltechllc.com/

Also Rich Roback (worked with Rich brooks building the prototype GT, then at Wixom for production), he is in AZ. PM me if you want his number.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't let auctions scare you either. There are something like 10 at Barrett Jackson in January. If you see a CAR that meets your criteria, get a PPI done (they will let you do it, except for driving it) and bid. I suspect prices will be low there. There are other auctions nearby as well but I haven't looked to see what they have in their lineups.

Reactions: FGT899

dharrell

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2019
Fredericksburg Tx
Good luck with your search. You are certainly correct about Terry's knowledge on the GT. So happy i pulled the trigger on his. going to pick it up this Thursday and drive it back to TX!!

Reactions: Ed Sims

Oufan2929

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2015
The 44k mike car is sold. It was mine... I just like leaving cars up a little longer to see how active the market is. Went to a great home in Dallas. Hard to see it go!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
My budget has been increased to $240k

Some good OT to start the year....

Enough to buy what I'm looking for? Who knows.....I will be watching the auctions to see where the market is.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A heads up. I believe most owners that did a bumper delete (like me) did not cut the original frame rails. They were removed and stored with the bumper and different rails were installed that came with the bumper delete. In those cases the bumper delete is 100% reversible and the car can be returned to stock so I certainly wouldn't avoid a BD car that was being sold with the original rear bumper and frame rails. All the best.

Chip

Reactions: Iconic GT and Simon

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Thanks Mr Beck,
The reasons I would prefer a bumpered car is for the look and a little protection if bumped at a stoplight. People will sometimes remove a Diablo bumper and I really don't like that look either....

What I wasn't aware of is someone might do a hack job and remove the bumper improperly.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Not necessarily. Its a simple straight cut and it used to be a choice when picking a kit (cut or get replacement horns that support the rear fascia). I am NOT a mod guy, but this is one I did, as it makes for a MUCH cleaner look (to me). I was told way back the bumper intentionally evolved to be as ugly as possible (within reason), with the hope that there would be time and budget to do better. Time never allowed.

What I wasn't aware of is someone might do a hack job and remove the bumper improperly.

Reactions: 2112

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Documenting cars I take good looks at. Just finished some research on a black stripe delete car in Lufkin Texas. Ask is $240k, the owner needs $225k. The car has 30k miles, but two accidents on its record (2009 & 2015). The 2015 accident was really minor (saw pictures) the only thing the owner told me about the 2009 accident was it was in a parking lot. I would have an interest in the $190s but no higher.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Lufkin Texas has been a source of many "storied" cars.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Lufkin Texas has been a source of many "storied" cars.

Right, I knew that going in....it means one might need extra due diligence.... but regardless I can’t ignore local cars with asks I can afford.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Keep up your search!!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Keep up your search!!

Thanks, I'm usually too stupid to know when to quit....I went through 7-8 trials like this before buying my Diablo Roadster...crazy stories.