If you were to buy a 12 Cylinder Exotic/Classic what would it be?

H

HHGT

I've always loved the 12 Cylinder Italian cars and their sweet exhaust note but never cared for their maintenance costs.

So if you wanted to buy a 12 cylinder Exotic/Classic performance car with minimal maintenance costs and under $100K what would you buy?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Under a 100K? Do they exist?

Personally I would get a 512BB carbed or fuel injected. I think they are in the $125K range though.

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Is there so a thing? Used exotic v12 with minimal maintenance???

If you take the maintenance requirement out of the equation:
I would go with a kit car of the v12 60's era 250 gto!
2nd choice would be the 550/575, or wait 5+ years and get the 599 when it drops below 100k...
3rd would be the aston vanquish.

Aug 25, 2006
I still reflect back on my time with the TR and the 512 ......... and I smile

Shadowman

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Unfortunately, classic and minimal maintenance costs don't go together. I know this all too well.
I'm not sure if the Maserati Ghibli is a 12cyl - looks great to me. I suspect maintenance would be a PITA though, like most.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Not a 12 cylinder, but I would look for an O.S.C.A., built by the Maserati brothers after they sold to Count Orsi and family.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
550 with the 6 speed manual.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I love the look of the 575 and the couple I drove were very fun. Nobody really ever does a long term test on an exotic......except ENZO BTR and our friends from edmunds. They bought a 2001 550 Maranello. Here is the link.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/49771/article.html

On the left of the article you can see entries in order from the different people who drove the car for three years. Supposedly the 575's were a huge leap in quality and they can be had for a relatively reasonable price. The routine maintenance cost scared me off though.

Unlike most of the cars they test they did not do a summary when they sold it. I told ENZO BTR that I was interested in what happened as I was following their articles while I was trying to talk myself into one. He stated they sold it for roughly 50 percent of purchase price if I remember correctly. Then the GT came out, they did a long term test on it and that was that. Reliable car mid-engine with reasonable maintenance. I was hooked. I told him before but the info from that long term test went a long way towards convincing me that the GT was the one. Thanks again edmunds and ENZO BTR!! :lol :cheers

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Not an exotic/classic....but how about an 04-05 Bentley Cont GT. Easily $60K. Might pickup an 07 GTC (conv) for just a tad over $100K.

Old Ferrari BB would be nice as well as an old Jag V-12 Convert.....but OMG...the maintenance...especially on those carbs. 6cyl Jag covered headlight much preferred to me. Again....that's why I prefer the "newer" collector/unique cars. The old ones are simply not comparable and a royal pain.

Hotwheels

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Austin, TX
Not particularly exotic, but more reliable than most Italian V12, is the BMW 850i. You could buy several of these for $100K or better, you could get the limited edition Ci that is as close to an M model BMW made and are collectible. I had a '93 850i and loved it. Very smooth!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not particularly exotic, but more reliable than most Italian V12, is the BMW 850i. You could buy several of these for $100K or better, you could get the limited edition Ci that is as close to an M model BMW made and are collectible. I had a '93 850i and loved it. Very smooth!

Or even better, an 850 CSi.......6 speed manual.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So if you wanted to buy a 12 cylinder...with minimal maintenance costs and under $100K...

The latter is possible. The FORMER - 'pipe dream.

Hotwheels

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Austin, TX
2112, you're right, I forgot the "S". CSi is what I meant to type. I should have previewed my post first. I think they made about 100 for the N. American market. The car I had was Ci.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
2112, you're right, I forgot the "S". CSi is what I meant to type. I should have previewed my post first. I think they made about 100 for the N. American market. The car I had was Ci.

I owned a CSi briefly. Fast and luxurious, not a sports car. I am sure it was fantastic on the autobahn.

Sold it when I saw the Z07 (Z8) prototype.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I know they're not brilliant cars, but a V12 E-Type would be fun.... Until it stopped.

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
Not Italian but a 12cyl Jaguar might hold its value and is a classic.

On a related note, I purchased a 65 Corvette with the 375hp fuel injected engine last year. I find that I drive it more than the GT. I don't worry about parking it, parts are reasonable and performance is pretty good. Its fixable and probably always will be.

Fast in a 60s car is anything over 80mph whereas in a modern sports car it is well over 100. I expect that this will keep me out of a lot of trouble.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I know they're not brilliant cars, but a V12 E-Type would be fun.... Until it stopped.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah yes...likely stopped by The Prince of Darkness...?

I've always liked the looks of an "E" rdstr/convert with the top down. 'Soooooooooooooo darn kool lookin'.

H

HHGT

Reliability and cost aside, 12 Cyl E-Types just dont sound as good as Italian 12s. How much maintenance with an occasional drive Testarossa? They seem to have hit bottom.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Reliability and cost aside, 12 Cyl E-Types just dont sound as good as Italian 12s. How much maintenance with an occasional drive Testarossa? They seem to have hit bottom.

I agree Sam. Ferrari V-12s have the most incredible exhaust note....even the V-8s....yes, even better sounding than a Ford GT. Ferrari exhaust is just intoxicating....like no other. Just like a beautiful, high maintenance gf that lives 150 miles away .... there is no local Ferrari dealer here....as I'm sure is the case for many owners. Kind of a pain for parts and service...and with the GT being a Ford it's a piece of cake. Heck, blow the motor up and put in a used Ford Lightning engine lol. As with any exotic car I think they can be, and are, over maintained. The most important thing on a Ferrari would be the timing belt. If you have an independent mechanic that is competent and doesn't break it off in you then a Ferrarri wouldn't be so bad. I would pass on all the "suggested" maintenance, Just treat it like a regular car and it would be fine. Change the oil with synthetic every 5K miles (doesnt matter if it takes 5yrs), pass on the brake & radiator flushes and just enjoy. If you track it, then yes to the brake flush. Drive it....don't let it sit. Biggest problem with a Ferrari would be resale. All the anal buyers want that "perfect" documented car. They want the Ferrari books & service stamps up to date with the 15K & 30K services performed. You might consider buying a stamp and "document" the books yourself lol. Prolly get a stamp "Autohaus Foreign Car Service" for just a few bucks on the internet.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Get an old Pantera ($35k) and new MV Agusta. You'll have your 12 Italian cylinders and a chunk of change for repairs and race gas. BAM, problem solved.