If you plan to do the Ford Racing Pully

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
We were having a "work on the GTs" weekend again with GT TEch.

Ran into a snag and wanted to post so others can prevent the issue.

If you are going to do the Ford Racing pully and tune, they do not come together. You need to order the tune from the internet and it takes a week or so to arrive. So when you have your car apart and open the box, surprise - no tune, just the pulley.

Round up your stuff before you start the project.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
What Larry said !! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Just got off the phone with the owner of the car in question. We ordered the tuner over the internet on Sat. and it showed up today. It came next day air. No issues putting the tune in. Owner is "road testing" the car as I write this.

Thanks Larry :cheers

hmg_57

GT Owner
May 6, 2007
Thanks for the heads up ! My father's currently considering the Ford Racing kit and we'd like to know how it compares with other pulley / tune kits on the market. I'd feel more comfortable using the OEM tune but I might be wrong.

Your input would be appreciated.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks for the heads up ! My father's currently considering the Ford Racing kit and we'd like to know how it compares with other pulley / tune kits on the market. I'd feel more comfortable using the OEM tune but I might be wrong.

Your input would be appreciated.

No issues and VERY satisfied with the Heffner pulley and tune so far. I don't believe the Ford pulley and tune gives you any warranty comfort if I am not mistaken? I believe it is a more conservative tune = less power.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Still voids the warranty.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What Larry said !! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Just got off the phone with the owner of the car in question. We ordered the tuner over the internet on Sat. and it showed up today. It came next day air. No issues putting the tune in. Owner is "road testing" the car as I write this.

Thanks Larry :cheers

Mine also came "Next Day Air" - I was shocked to see it at my doorstep, as they had quoted 7-10 day delivery. Thanks - Ford Racing!!:thumbsup:thumbsup

:cheers

hmg_57

GT Owner
May 6, 2007
We're not really looking for warranty comfort... I tune my own car and know what's involved in the tuning process. For such an expensive engine, I simply like the idea of keeping some safety measures like cat temperature protection and stuff like that.

Any before / after dyno results from Heffner / FRPP packages ?

dbtgt, was the car dyno tuned or flashed with a mail order ?

Thanks guys !

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Any before / after dyno results from Heffner / FRPP packages ?

With the Heffner, you'll see about 100HP gain at the RWHP. Figure you'll have about 500 RWHP stock and about 600 RWHP with the Heffner and tune. I've installed several Heffners that all have brought a big smile to many owners' faces!

hmg_57

GT Owner
May 6, 2007
That would be the 2.7" pulley and handheld programmer kit which runs $1400, right ?

What kind of flexibility does the programmer provide in case we want to make some A/F or timing adjustments on the dyno ? Is it an SCT Xcal2 ?

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The Heffner out of the box tune is great,.. I think I pulled on the dyno 602hp with their tune, pulley and accufab x pipe. Be glad to share the dyno pull with you. Send me an email to bonyhadi@gmail.com and I will blast it over to you.

Be cautious with adjusting things, let the real experts that understand modular Fords tweak the tube if you must, personally I see no reason why you would need to do that.

I am aware of folks that have done serious damage to their engines with custom tunes.
If you go that route, communicate with a expert tuner what type of driving you plan to do and then stick with that. A drag racing tune won't work on a road course,... you can also shorten the life of a motor.... use caution.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
What kind of flexibility does the programmer provide in case we want to make some A/F or timing adjustments on the dyno ? Is it an SCT Xcal2 ?

Yes, it is an Xcal2. But as you are hopefully aware, the xcal2 is simply the "loader" - it's job being able to hold 3 tunes and letting you decide which one to load via the OBD2 port.

The SCT software for your computer is a different story. You would have to purchase this to be able to have the ability to tune. As BONY said, the tune is good out of the box. You are always welcome to take your car to a shop to have a custom tune done - but make sure that they have experiece with 1) the SCT software and; 2) modular ford engines.

hmg_57

GT Owner
May 6, 2007
Thanks for the tips BONY, just sent you an email.

Yes, it is an Xcal2. But as you are hopefully aware, the xcal2 is simply the "loader" - it's job being able to hold 3 tunes and letting you decide which one to load via the OBD2 port.

The SCT software for your computer is a different story. You would have to purchase this to be able to have the ability to tune. As BONY said, the tune is good out of the box. You are always welcome to take your car to a shop to have a custom tune done - but make sure that they have experiece with 1) the SCT software and; 2) modular ford engines.

I know the Xcal2 is the loader but, at least for Mustangs, the tuner can preset an adjustment range (let's say +/- 10%) for different parameters (fuel, spark, rev limiter, ...) in case the tune is not spot on. It's a feature that must be enabled in the tune, it's not built in the programmer.

Any of you guys noticed if it's enabled in the Heffner's kit ? Besides increased power, that's another thing the Xcal2 would provide over the Ford flash module...

Keep it coming :biggrin