I need help in buying a 2006 Ford GT

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
:cheers Hi guys, first the good news. After seeing, sitting in and driving a Porsche Carrera GT (yes super nice but /shrug), F430 Spyder (my wife is demanding this one) , and a Ford GT.
I am totally in love with the Ford GT and I plan on buying one in the next few weeks.

Now the problems. I really do not feel that educated on the new GTs. As an example:

I have been told by 2 dealerships that I visisted that the car can not be "ordered" due to tight allocation. The best I can hope for is for them to "find" one for me and then pay way over sticker.

The dealerships I found the car at told me that the car is going for 230K (roughly) , which is about 70K over sticker. I am being told that is the going price.

My questions are:

Can I order it the way I want it exactly? If not, how is it some on this fourm have ordered and received as explained in their post?

and
Can I expect to pay 230K for the 2006 model?

Thank you guys! I look forward to being part of the community for years to come!

EDIT****** looks like I found a 2006 for 166K so thje dealerships lied :frown however this one is black and while beautiful I was looking for a Red with stripes or midnight blue with stripes.

Last edited:

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Bummer, we just sold a Red with white stripes a few weeks ago. I think we have another coming in soon.
There is another site I have access to that I can check to see if anybody has got that color combo you want.
Just PM me.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
MK2_GT,

I think you are making the right decision in buying the GT. Read everything you can here and on centerpunch's www.fordgtprices.com site. Do this and keep looking at Ebay, and you'll fine a color and the deal you want soon enough. How do I know? I was where you are only ~3 weeks ago. I heard the same stories from dealers and then I came here in "sponge mode" absorbing everything I could get my hands on.

Last week I was fortunate enough to hook up with a dealership who had recently won a GT allocation at a raffle during a dealer's meeting. I ordered the car exactly the way I wanted and at a very fair price. In fact, I looked at it as even getting a great deal since I could opt out of options like the $4K Macintosh that I didn't want in the first place.

I was very fortunate indeed, as my dealer's allocation was for a May build and I have already received my VIN number (1208).

My recommendation is to read all that is here first and then go look on Ebay's "Completed Items" and find a red/white that didn't sell. There will be a dozen or more, I'm sure. Call each of these dealerships and ask them if they will take MSRP and I'm sure you'll find at least one.

(I remember a dealership in the central part of the country that had both a Tungsten and an '05 red/white for sale. They wanted $10K over on the Tungsten but they said they would sell me the red/white for MSRP which was $156K. It was a loaded car before the $10K Ford price increase.)

Best of luck.

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
...Also click the Autotrader link that can be found on Centerpunch's site (FordGTprices.com). It will bring up a custom search with all the available GT's for sale by dealers on Autotrader.

Many can be had for MSRP, plus or minus a few thousand.

Eric

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Thanks for all the info, where do I take it if it needs service and I purchased it out of state? Any Ford dealership?

Thanks in advance for the answer :biggrin

Last edited:

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
I purchased my GT from an out of state dealer. My suggestion is to try to negotiate free delivery when you are finalizing the price. IMHO,it is much more of a buyer's market now than say 6 months ago. Check out Edmunds.com for what cars are selling for in your area and what the total MSRP is with what you want foe options etc. Also, you might want to make it clear that any "dealer prep" costs are for the dealer,not you. You assume they will prep the car to a suitable standard for a buyer.
Good luck.Let us know how you make out.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Forgot your last question. Finding a Ford Dealer who is competent and has trained personnel to service your car may be a problem. I have personally visited 4 Ford dealers in my area checking on this and have not found one I would let near my car. I have also placed 2 threads on this Forum asking if anyone can recommend a dealership in the Washinton,D.C. to Norfolk,Va. area who could service a GT, and I have not received a response. :frown
I may have to rely on a small but excellent Ford performance shop in this area for some help. My only concern is where to go if warranty work is required. I believe there are a couple of competent dealerships on this Forum and I may have to look into shipping the car to them if required.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
centerpunch said:
There are about 1000 (that is not a typo) Ford GTs sitting in dealerships.

Red with white stripes is the most common color.

It is difficult to find a dealer willing to order a car without all the options, but it can be done if you are willing to send out a few hundred emails to every dealer listing GTs on ebay and autotrader.com.

Current market price is now MSRP, plus or minus a couple thousand.

The 2005s are identical to the 2006's, and many have sticker prices $10K less, this would be the cheapest car to buy.

More info at my site (link below), or for the boring 10 minute audio version, see http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/jalopn...view-paul-allen-of-fordgtpricescom-160489.php

Ditto! I had to pay $216K for mine back in January of 2005 and they had just come out in Nov. or Dec. of 04. Go on eBay or the back ads of Autoweek and you'll find lots to choose from. I'm thinking $165K or under for sure for the car color of your choice. Good luck and enjoy the car. Michael

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Good Advice

You're receiving good advice here. Keep learning and looking. Money and firm offers talk. I assure you, below ( and I mean a fair bit below) MSRP deals are out there, even for '06 cars. I waited, talked, offered and offered again until I got what I wanted. It helped that I was not absolutely set on one color.
I also still enjoy telling the other over-MSRP dealers I bought a GT already, when they call to see where I'm at. One guy called back 3 times, not believing that I actually bought a car. I drove it to his shop last weekend just to rub it in a bit!
Enjoy the chase, then love the drive. It's worth the work. :banana

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Thanks guys, got a call a short while ago and it looks like I will get a price on a Red with White stripes tomorrow. It is a local Ford Dealer about 15 minutes from my home in Miami.

It was very wierd going to go see it.

I got there and the sales rep took me to his office to show me a poster of the car (I said I wanted to come and see the GT when I called earlier on the phone). After looking at him like he was crazy and explaining that I needed to physically see it. He found someone who found someone who had a key to the body shop. After going around paint booths and shop materials everywhere, he opens a booth in the back (complete with hissing pipes, I could not be making this up) and it is stowed away like if it was in a barn or something. He could not find the lights , so I examined the car in the dark.
When I asked if I could sit in it, he said he did not have the control, the GM had it and he was off. When I asked for the price , he said he had no idea until Monday. The sales guy and the dealership seem like a joke, but hey it is one of the two colors I want and it is 15 minutes away. let's see what the price is tomorrow.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
If (or more likely when) they give you a big number, refer them to www.FordGTprices.com for a reality check. Any dealer who treats a GT (and customer) like that likely has an unrealistic opinion of the car and its value.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Stu - that's very sweet!

Mk2, good luck with the hunt....

The current pricing in the UK is dropping a fraction, latest 'market price' for the GT is $244,561 (that being £140k). They are selling quite quickly and I'm told there's a brisk market currently for importing these cars.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
MK2 GT, I had a few of those types of stories. ...one had to bring the car in from strange, locked storage locker off site! They needed a day's advance notice too.

I also had one much like yours. The dealership had the car in a back room/building, locked up. No lights other than from a dirty window. Only the GM had the key, nobody knew a price.
I finally blew them off and bought mine elsewhere.
Funny, but that strange dealership is still sitting on their '05 red car and can't get it near MSRP on multiple eBay auctions. Wonder why!!!

Hope you find what you want. Remember to shop the dealership as well as the car. :wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had a dealer in NY state claiming to sell a new car. When I asked about the mileage they said about 200 miles, but he wasn't sure. I asked his to check and send current photos of the car. After I few days I haven't received any for the information that he said he would send me. He said the cars was in CT at the dealers father'n laws house and had 400+ miles! I told him not to bother with the photos.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackICE said:
I had a dealer in NY state claiming to sell a new car. When I asked about the mileage they said about 200 miles, but he wasn't sure. I asked his to check and send current photos of the car. After I few days I haven't received any for the information that he said he would send me. He said the cars was in CT at the dealers father'n laws house and had 400+ miles! I told him not to bother with the photos.

BlackICE
wonder what the law is, I would assume that car would be a 'demo' or 'executive car' that ran on dealer plates and has never been registered.
Maybe a great deal could be had, 10% off list?

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
When I sold cars in another life time, a car was sold as new until it was sold to a customer. It didn't matter what it was used for by the dealer or how many miles it had on it. We used "demos" for the guy looking for a big price discount. The salesmen all had a "demo" for their driver and didn't even need a car of their own. Of course those demo days ar long gone.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
The 2 biggest factors affecting price are color combo and dealer. Clearly the white and red cars are selling for lower prices than the other colors due to production numbers and demand. Dealers are willing to deal, not doubt about it.

I think now that Ford has officially announced stopping production, and the fact that spring is here, the prices are not coming down as quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next few months, the value of these cars level off or even bump up very slightly due to seasonality and production ending.

Lots of dynamics happening, but if you want to be the first owner of the car, as opposed to buying a used one, the clock is ticking....

After the Carrera GT ended production, the prices bumped up, while during production I had dealers willing to sell me cars for $60k+ under MSRP (big loss for the dealer) just to clear them off the floor. Now it's tough to find a used one with low miles at that price....

It will be interesting to see what happens....

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I bought mine about three weeks ago. the dealer wanted $10K over sticker. My first reply was 1.there are 1,000 on the ground now and 2. I can wait, I'm not that motivated. Once the dealer figured out I was for real he called me about every 2-3 days. After 2 weeks of this and that I paid $1,100 over sticker for tungston, all options.

I thought I was paying sticker, but the dealer said one thing and did another. From now on I will receive all offers via fax before committing.

As you have probably seen before on this site there are only 4 options and not many color combinations. This means the exact car you want should be sitting at a dealer somewhere now. Mine was 90 miles from my house even though I was actively bidding on Ebay and looking nationwide on Autotrader.

Last edited: