I Got Jealous....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
All you flatlanders have been posting your stories and pictures of warm, early springtime travels in your cars - pisses me off. In fact, the forecast for late Sunday/Monday is for another 1-2 feet of snow.

However, up here at 8,000 feet, we had a warm spell for about a week, leaving the roads dry (and swept), so I decided to break out my gal, put on some shorts, and meander up to Carson City for a few hours of shopping (& get out of Dodge City). I was pretty careful leaving, as the temp was somewhere between 27° and 33° and I had a scary experience a year ago on cold pavement and colder tires. However, everything worked out great, and by the time I'd driven the 135 miles to CC, I had the windows down and my jacket (Ford GT Track Jacket, of course) off, and was hot in my shorts and short sleeve shirt (In Mammoth, we tend to put on shorts when the temp reaches 40°). It was 67° in Carson City, and 57° in Mammoth when I got home. The drive was beautiful and uneventful (no black & white cruisers around, and the county mounties only looked as I passed and gave me :thumbsup going up and returning home.

I can tell you (as you all know) that it was a thrill to "get back in the saddle" and my gal didn't miss a beat the whole day. The countryside is still brown, as it doesn't start to turn green here in the high country until sometime in April.

Pic 1 - Walker Canyon (fishing season opens the end of April)
Pic 2 - Little Walker River Valley with mountains on northeastern quadrant of Yosemite National Park
Pic 3 - Close to Mammoth (US 395 about 3 miles north of Mammoth)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
All you flatlanders have been posting your stories and pictures of warm, early springtime travels in your cars - pisses me off.

:rofl:rofl:rofl "I feel your paaayne!" (W.J.C.)

If it makes you feel any LESS alone...we had 2" of snow on the ground yesterday morning...but, it melted by 9 a.m. :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Glad you got out for a ride, thanks for sharing the journey with us :)

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nice story and GREAT pics:thumbsup
We too are showing signs of spring is on its way:banana

H

HHGT

A beautiful scenic background made possible by a gorgeous Red GT.:thumbsup:thumbsup

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Great Pictures. Look at the bright side, you do not have wall to wall tourists, yet.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Now I'm jealous! Mines been locked up for over a month - bad weather. We have a cars and coffee even coming up on Sunday - weather looks promising. Maybe some of the other NW guys will show up!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Beautiful pics with the mountains and white stuff as a backdrop!! Glad you got her out. :cheers

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
very cool Ralphie! Where do you put the ski rack??? Do you have a boot rack also? Or do they go in the front seat?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad you're driving her. Mine's back from California soon, and I really hope that white stuff is gone before she's home. Great pics, great story. Good thing you didn't need chains!! :wink

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Drive more = less posting...... a good thing!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now I'm jealous! Mines been locked up for over a month - bad weather. We have a cars and coffee even coming up on Sunday - weather looks promising. Maybe some of the other NW guys will show up!

What C&C event is that, Ed? 'Somewhere on your side of the Sound, I take it?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Nice pics :thumbsup

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Just re-read your thread. Very very cool. 2 questions:

1 - I always thought "County Mounties" was a Canadian thing from our Royal Canadian Mounted Police, them being the "Mounties"; and

2 - I like the 3rd picture especially, (the composition with the Mountain is very nice!) even though your car is pointed the wrong way on the One Way! :wink

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
What C&C event is that, Ed? 'Somewhere on your side of the Sound, I take it?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Larry, looks like something new in the Seattle area for Sunday at 9:30AM. There is another C & C going on over at Redmond Town Center on Saturdays at 9AM

Cutters Point Coffee
5006 Pt. Fosdick Dr.
Gig Harbor
Their number is (253) 858-2348

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
very cool Ralphie! Where do you put the ski rack??? Do you have a boot rack also? Or do they go in the front seat?

He probobly leaves the skiis and boots in the locker at the hill.:cheers

Ralphie great pics thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:driving:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
1) - CB Slang: "Bears" are any policeman, and "Smokey Bears" or "Smokeys" are State Police (in California, CHP's - California Highway Patrol); "County Mounties" are County Sheriffs; "Evil Canivals" are slang for Evel Knievel and are any motorcycle patrolman; "Grasshoppers" are National and State Park Police; a "Honey Bear" is a police woman; "Local Yokel" are local police officers.

2) Finally someone noticed - I wondered how long it would take. I thought for sure that EP would rag on me about it - but he missed it! Good eyes!
:cheers
I've always wanted to take a picture there - and fortunately, no "Smokeys" came by as I was setting up the picture.

Just re-read your thread. Very very cool. 2 questions:

1 - I always thought "County Mounties" was a Canadian thing from our Royal Canadian Mounted Police, them being the "Mounties"; and

2 - I like the 3rd picture especially, (the composition with the Mountain is very nice!) even though your car is pointed the wrong way on the One Way! :wink

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
2) Finally someone noticed - I wondered how long it would take. I thought for sure that EP would rag on me about it - but he missed it!
No. Actually, I didn't miss it. I just didn't wanna point out you'd posted PHOTO PROOF of your own traffic violation for all to see!!!:eek:ack (After all, one never knows who's logged on, ya know...?:willy)

(Oh, and a "bear in the air" is an airborne LEO, 10-4?. :wink)

(Thanks for the C&C info, Ed...)