How to mount non-carbon wheels...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Standard powder coating temp is around 400 deg F. A wheel hub can get much hotter than that on the track.

Ed

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
BBS wheels look great!!
Any suggestions on tires? Dunlops have been used which tend to be less sticky and throw less debris. Better everyday option!!

Reactions: THamonGT

D06GT19GT

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2018
...Dunlops have been used which tend to be less sticky and throw less debris. Better everyday option!!
Which Dunlop? TireRack does not have any other options. I know that I would like to get a less sticky option onto my extra wheels.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Which Dunlop? TireRack does not have any other options. I know that I would like to get a less sticky option onto my extra wheels.
Apologies for the thread bump but to answer the question:

Reactions: D06GT19GT

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
BBS make these for the NFGT: FI-R They are almost as light as the CF wheels.

Damn, those look good! Wish I'd seen them before I sprung for a set of factory alloy wheels (as a street alternative to my carbon fiber wheels). Reasonably priced, too!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Its been 30 years since my Materials Science class, but the process is called annealing and it reduces the strength of alloys.

Annealing may be required either prior to or intermittently during forming operations in order to relieve strains or to reduce the strength of alloys in age-hardened tempers. The aim is usually to improve workability for subsequent manufacturing operations, but annealing may also be directed toward the development of a desired size and distribution of precipitates for grain structure control and to control the size of primary phases that form at the working temperature. The specific annealing treatment depends on the alloyand the structure developed during prior thermal and mechanical operations.
Annealing temperatures are usually in the range 615–690 K, with holding times from a few minutes to a few hours. When annealing previously cold-worked products care must be taken to prevent undesired recrystallization and grain growth in critically strained regions. Heating and cooling rates must be controlled to avoid precipitation-hardening in heat-treatable alloys. However, annealing operations are also used to precipitate equilibrium phases in special thermomechanical processing treatments directed toward grain refinement. The treatments include severe overaging, deformation, and recrystallization steps. A critical relationship exists between the precipitate size and distribution developed during the anneal given prior to working, and the recrystallized grain size developed during the anneal after deformation.

Reactions: D06GT19GT