How to mount non-carbon wheels...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents,
My GT is getting close. Ordered it with carbon wheels.

I already bought a 'spare' set of non-carbon wheels from Ford that I'm thinking of powder coating a different color.
I know it's been discussed, but I can't recall - Apparently one needs to do something 'special' to use them on a car that originally came with carbon wheels.

Could someone kindly remind me what?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think just different lug nuts since the studs are longer.

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think just different lug nuts since the studs are longer.

Correct.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
2 options, open lug nuts, or a very deep lug nut that Stormcat showed at SEMA 2017. Not aware of other options.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I have done this and yes either lug nuts with the ends cut off as the studs are longer on the CF hubs than standard or deeper lug nuts. I went with the ends cut off the stock nuts that came with the CF wheels.

Attachments

• P_20181229_152855_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20181229_152855_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 76

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks guys. Anyone have a link to what they bought?

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Torque specs different for metal wheels?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No torque is 150 for both. BBS warns against powder coating.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
....BBS warns against powder coating.

I had my '05 GT BBS aluminum wheels powder coated for years with no problem. Are the new BBS aluminum wheels different?

Ed

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
As Frank posted, BBS told last year at Road Atlanta the high temp of the powder coating had a negative effect on the wheels.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I powder coated the wheels on my 2005 GT black many yrs ago. I think they are aluminum BBS as well.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm just sayin what BBS told me. I know plenty of people have powder coated their wheels.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I also replied to your message.. Use low temp powder coat if you go down that road or you will affect the strength of the wheels

Reactions: Simon

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How hot do the wheels get when on the track? Mongrel says hot enough to melt the wheel weight adhesive.

Ed

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
BBS is a big company with a reputation and business to protect. Of course they will advise against anything that might remotely affect the wheel strength. If the heat of powder coating affects anything, you won't be able to discern it unless you bash the wheel into something, in which case, you're buying a new wheel anyway.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
The appropriate place can provide "low temp" powder coating, as stated above.
I have done it many times with no obvious ill results.
Best,
Mark

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
While there would most likely be no issues with powder coating, why not just have them painted to be on the safe side?

D06GT19GT

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2018
While there would most likely be no issues with powder coating, why not just have them painted to be on the safe side?

This is the safer solution. Powdercoating temperature can change the metal structure in a bad way. I have seen forged wheels that were powdercoated crack. This was with track use but why take the chance?

I toured the MM factory last week and they used open lug nuts to mount standard wheels to roll cars around during build that would ultimately get carbon wheels. It looks more aggressive and race-like with those open nuts.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Now that we are on the subject of non carbon wheels; beside Ford’s stock options, anyother manufactures making wheels for NFGT?

D06GT19GT

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2018
Now that we are on the subject of non carbon wheels; beside Ford’s stock options, any other manufactures making wheels for NFGT?

BBS make these for the NFGT: FI-R They are almost as light as the CF wheels.

Reactions: BAT and JWZ