How much impact will Barrett-Jackson have on the market?

Tomcat

GT Owner
My widow knows what the GT is worth.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
These auctions are an almost totally useless metric, that do little to alter real world values.

People that own quote high after-fee buyer prices they could never get if they tried to sell, and people that are looking quote low after-fee seller prices they could never get if they were trying to buy. If you're selling and you see some guy paid ~$330k all-in, what good does that do you if you get ~$270k in the same scenario? Not a lot.

Plus...shenanigans. Let's be realistic, everyone is aware that manipulation occurs. A lot of it.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
These auctions are an almost totally useless metric, that do little to alter real world values.

People that own quote high after-fee buyer prices they could never get if they tried to sell, and people that are looking quote low after-fee seller prices they could never get if they were trying to buy. If you're selling and you see some guy paid ~$330k all-in, what good does that do you if you get ~$270k in the same scenario? Not a lot.

Plus...shenanigans. Let's be realistic, everyone is aware that manipulation occurs. A lot of it.

please don't anyone get pissy with me about this but I agree with DBK totally but also agree with him on the 2017 GT price as well. maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the 2017's bringing $1.5M when they are available to be legally sold as it did at BJ. of course timing is everything. maybe I'm wrong . I don't own one either way so it's just numbers to me. jmho

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I think people see the glamor and not reality, the fees for selling is huge, the fees to buy are large, then sales tax! The red car I looked at in my area is priced at 280K, he mentioned Mecum, OK....the car needed a big time recon, 1500.00 auction fees, I don't even know, selling fees, I would pay 240K for the car and he doesn't see that with all that he might walk away with 220K? that is if it brings his 280K, am I right??
And this is me, I would rather buy form a private guy than a dealer, they seem to like adding fees. Then I do understand the value of a PPI.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
A few pics from Barrett Jackson Auction yesterday. Notice GTs are bookended with Boss429s.

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpg
    IMG_4163.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_4154.jpg
    IMG_4154.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_4162.jpg
    IMG_4162.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_4159[1].jpg
    IMG_4159[1].jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
A few pics from Barrett Jackson Auction yesterday.

a million or two sitting there! lol whew!

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
One more pic. Did not get a rise out of my girlfriend when I sent her this pic. She just wanted the NGT.

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 314

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
PS. Yes, at one point there were 4 Heritage cars on the docket. Someone got cold feet.

If I was a seller, certainly would not want to be at any auction with this many GT's. My guess is BJ probably does not inform sellers ahead of time until docket is announced.

They do not, so you have to put it in the mix and then see what shows up. Cancel surrenders the entry fee.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was a real estate broker. Let me compare real estate pricing to auto pricing. When looking for comparables for pricing of real estate (cars) most appraisers will not give very much weight to foreclosure or estate sales (auto auctions). That is, until those events become,ie, dominate, the market. That was true of the real estate bust when housing prices crashed and every 2nd or third house on the market in certain areas was a foreclosure. When establishing value of cars, if a certain segment is highly represented in auctions then those prices will be used to set values.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The first BJ Ford GT hammered at 260k. Lot 1300 a red w/stripes.

It went very quickly and then went to over 300K until they were corrected that it was 235 and not 325. Ratched it back and went to 260.

I have it on live streaming and monitoring interesting cars.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Did somebody mention ‘shenanigans’!?

Lot #832

Plenty of pre-auction ink. Highly desireable w/unobtainium speed parts in a quality build...with an interesting provenance.

Six figures in SoCal easily.

Took ~ 90 seconds to open/close. Several ‘lesser’ vehicles took almost 5 minutes to hammer.

Sold for ~$55k

Just sayin’!!

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
I was a real estate broker. Let me compare real estate pricing to auto pricing. When looking for comparables for pricing of real estate (cars) most appraisers will not give very much weight to foreclosure or estate sales (auto auctions). That is, until those events become,ie, dominate, the market. That was true of the real estate bust when housing prices crashed and every 2nd or third house on the market in certain areas was a foreclosure. When establishing value of cars, if a certain segment is highly represented in auctions then those prices will be used to set values.
Agreed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lot 1313, the first Heritage hammered at 485K. I guess being double thirteen wasn't unlucky!!!

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lot 1326 Tungsten stripe delete hammered for 300K. They started pushing it off the block and then it got some more activity on the holding spot.

Boy that Super Bird sure went cheap

Last edited:

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Why people would sell cars on auction is beyond me. Ford GT Heritage hammered at $485k. The seller only gets 437k and buyer pays 533k. Seems like it's lose-lose situation.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lot 1355, red with stripes 52 miles. Hammered at 300k

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lot 1355, red with stripes 52 miles. Hammered at 300k

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Why people would sell cars on auction is beyond me. Ford GT Heritage hammered at $485k. The seller only gets 437k and buyer pays 533k. Seems like it's lose-lose situation.

Exactly. The house always wins. In this case, $96,000

But you might get to be on T.V. :rolleyes

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There are multiple factually incorrect statements being made about this GTX1.

For starters, unless someone robbed my building, I have another red one sitting here.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lot 1376 Heritage 288 miles. After a strong start things slowed down then picked up again. Hammer fell at 450K.

Lot 1378 red GTX1. Car got a little history intro. Claimed it was a "Ford Product". (Note, BJ streaming doesn't show who was talking). Hammer fell at 290K

Lot 1376 white with blue stripes. Hammered at 200K

This will likely be my last report for the evening. I'll be back at 7:30PM PST so if noone has posted up to that point I'll look them up later.