How much gas/miles left in tank when light comes on....?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...Remember being parked on the shoulder while he walked to get gas!!

Uh...given he had preplanned to run out of gas...uh...why didn't he put a filled 5 gallon gas can in the trunk before starting down the road?

Reactions: 2112

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
First time he was prepared, it was only after when he thought he “could make it”!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
First time he was prepared, it was only after when he thought he “could make it”!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Okay, now that makes a bit more sense!

(I can honestly say I've never experienced the 'joy' of running out of fuel...............sadly, not even on a 'date', dang it.)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Okay, now that makes a bit more sense!

(I can honestly say I've never experienced the 'joy' of running out of fuel...............sadly, not even on a 'date', dang it.)
In the olden days, when you were dating, fuel was hay for your horse and buggy!!!

Reactions: Empty Pockets

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I did a lot of pushing in high school. Lack of funds for fuel and working fuel gauges.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I did a lot of pushing in high school. Lack of funds for fuel and working fuel gauges.

I would coast down hill in Neutral with the engine off (No power accessories) to make that $5 of gas go as far as it could.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In the olden days, when you were dating, fuel was hay for your horse and buggy!!!

...and I bet that, even to this day, if YOU need to make potty run in the middle of the night, it involves a pair of boots and a kerosene lantern....duzzunit. 😏

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
...and I bet that, even to this day, if YOU need to make potty run in the middle of the night, it involves a pair of boots and a kerosene lantern....duzzunit. 😏
Only when staying at your home!!!!

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Quote:

BTW.....
I had a guy whilst I was filling up come up to me and say
"What is that the new corvette"
"No, its a Ford GT"
"Whats a Ford GT"
and off I went to tell him
everything.....that really happened
One thing he got right was "dam it looks good"

Because I was distracted talking to him and wanted to get out of there, I noticed the fuel bowser clicked off, so I put it away and noticed after a few min of driving that it was still empty I wondered if I left the station with hardly any gas in there at all....
"Man that fuel needle is dam slow to react to a full tank" I was thinking......
It came good but was
was just having a bad day it seems.

It seems like the car updates the fuel level even when the cars off?
I dove for 5min with what I thought was a full tank, went in the shops (was still only showing 9/10ths empty when I turned it off)
I shopped for 5min, came out and started it and went straight to FULL.

Stuart A
[/QUOTE]
Go to this thread “who has a GT emblem“ it’s still posted. Many of us carry that shield affixed to the rear vent panels near the liscense plate.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It seems like the car updates the fuel level even when the cars off?

It would seem so, but it doesn't. Programming of the fuel level is such that readings of large fluctuations are discarded as non-plausible and are more likely attributed to temporary variation due to sloshing or g-loads. This is the right way to program fuel gauges but there is a scenario where a large variation DOES occur - and that is at fill-up. It seems that there is an anomaly in the GT logic where occasionally it has a hard time to believe (and represent) a large fuel level change and instead wants to make only small changes. This is why MANY GT-owners have sometimes noticed a lazy fuel gauge in a drive cycle that immediately follows a fill-up.... where the ECU seems very skeptical of new fuel level data and commands only small changes to the gauge. So, the ECU sees it (from a query to the fuel level sensors) but doesn't quite believe it. Typically a key-off and then a key back on - especially if some time has passed, then the ECU becomes a believer and will command the gauge to represent the value it has received from the sensor.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
It seems that there is an anomaly in the GT logic where occasionally it has a hard time to believe (and represent) a large fuel level change and instead wants to make only small changes.
then the ECU becomes a believer and will command the gauge to represent the value it has received from the sensor.
My wife only believes me half the time, and my GT only believes me the other half...
🤦🏻‍♂️ What’s a guy gotta do!?!?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
On a highway trip (to Rally 12 if I recall correctly), I drove 30 miles after the light came on. Then put 16.5 gallons in. So there was about a gallon left in the tank. Now, keep in mind this was on the highway, and when I realized it was gonna be a stretch to the next gas station, I pulled it back to 70MPH, so I was at “l/d max.” Obviously, if you’re using the throttle vigorously, that will be considerably less.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Make your life simple. Refuel at a 1/4 of a tank

Reactions: RPM217

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State