How Many 05's???

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I'm looking at the color spreadsheet, and it says that 2043 05's were made, but I own #2048. I'm thinking there's a chance that I have the last 05 they made. That might be kind of cool! Anyone know how I could find this out??

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
How many 2005's?

The info I got from Ford says there were 2,027 2005 GT's built, and 2,011 2006 GT's made, for a total production run of 4,038 cars. These numbers seem to match numbers that others have received through other sources.

Your car, with number 2048, is certainly a very late 2005, but not likely to be the last one. I have records in the SAAC GT Database for 2005 cars # 2066, 2067, and 2068. So I think the last VIN number is up near 2070.

One thing I've not found any explanation for yet, is that there appear to be quite a few VIN numbers that were NOT USED. I don't know if there are "blocks" of VIN numbers, or if they are scattered throughout the sequence. For 2005, they built 2,027 cars, but the VIN's run up to 2068; for 2006, they only built 2,011 cars, but the VIN's go up to 2045 (confirmed to be "the LAST car").

If anyone has any information on that anamoly, or which VIN number was the last 2005 car, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.

SAAC Registrar

regards,

Jeff

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Didn't the make 50 or so "preproduction" GTs in 2004? They may have been titled as an '05.

That would make the 2005 top VIN # 2077.

Last edited:

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Pre-Production Units

Good point, but, most of the pre-production units I have VIN's for have "2004" VIN numbers (with 2005 starting over at 0001) - so, I don't think that explains it.

Jeff

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
Didn't they build a number of crash cars in 2005?
Vince

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Lightning said:
Didn't they build a number of crash cars in 2005?
Vince

all those mule cars were built without vin numbers so they can never be resold and made road legal. one was running around the rally in detroit.

team c

Nov 24, 2006
05'production #

well the last 05' car i built was on 10-20-05 and the vin was 5y402068..not to say their was some behind us i. we were 4th or 5th on the line...checking my log i kept the next day we did do another 05 vin 5y401910.then i started 06'car's same day doing the 2nd rotation too job 1 06...vin..6y40059..wow...well that's what i can recall hope that helped...far as total#s not sure...sorry!!!!!!!!!!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
my car is # 1955 and it is a 2006. not a 2005. As mentioned elsewhere on the forum these cars are not built in sequential running order. Now my car was destined for Canada so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe they held back some of the earlier numbers for the export market. Also I have seen car # 1968, also a 2006 and in Canada.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Canadian GT's

The Canadian GT's were built in two batches - 100 of them built in February/March 2006, with VIN's ranging from 700 through 800. The second batch, of 177 units, was built at the end of the production run in September, 2006. The VIN's on those run from around #1870 up to 2045.

regards,

Jeff

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
team c said:
well the last 05' car i built was on 10-20-05 and the vin was 5y402068..not to say their was some behind us i. we were 4th or 5th on the line...checking my log i kept the next day we did do another 05 vin 5y401910.then i started 06'car's same day doing the 2nd rotation too job 1 06...vin..6y40059..wow...well that's what i can recall hope that helped...far as total#s not sure...sorry!!!!!!!!!!

Good Stuff team c welcome! Thanks for what you did for these cars!

rmartin175

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 15, 2006
Delaplane, Virginia
I just visited the Ford Flat Rock Plant where we saw our 1st Shelby GT500 come off of the production line. What we observed was an interesting but surprising fact that may shed some light on this issue. Ford has attempted to improve their QA/QC, and customer quality metrics by actually scrapping (yes, I said scrapping!) complete cars that have come off of the assembly line (with VIIN's already applied) if they identified sufficient damage (in this case by the paint shop) or by the assembly line and they did not want to have to replace body panels that would have not exactly matched the BIW ID used for the various panels. This is a similar process many of you might recall from your tours at Wixom or SSV. Since we are in the hypothesis stage at this point in time, I thought I would provide this interesting tidbit of information we actually observed about three weeks ago.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
thx cobrajeff. Good info.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think this "scraping" process is how Bony got his car with no stripes.

team c

Nov 24, 2006
Specracer said:
Good Stuff team c welcome! Thanks for what you did for these cars!
hey!!!! this is fantastic that i'm able to share this ....the site is awsome....i did take pic's at work of course..and did keep a log...so if anyone is interested let me know..and the first 06' was i checked my log and i did take a pic of the windshield with the vin # 6y400014 on it..rot.1# ..thank's specracer their were so many people invovled with this awsome car it's mind bogaling....team c....

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
team c said:

C, my car is an 05' #0448. I was told this was the last car that the recall was done to, but was done at the plant not in the field. Do you have anything in you book about this?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
team c said:
hey!!!! this is fantastic that i'm able to share this ....the site is awsome....i did take pic's at work of course..and did keep a log...so if anyone is interested let me know..and the first 06' was i checked my log and i did take a pic of the windshield with the vin # 6y400014 on it..rot.1# ..thank's specracer their were so many people invovled with this awsome car it's mind bogaling....team c....

You are SOOOO right about the team, I was so fortunate to meet so many of you, at the rally, and it is GREAT how many of you are here, and it is GREAT when someone speaks up, SO many others that only lurk.

Thanks!

team c

Nov 24, 2006
SteveA said:
C, my car is an 05' #0448. I was told this was the last car that the recall was done to, but was done at the plant not in the field. Do you have anything in you book about this?
hey ya stevea,..well the recall for the a arms i take it...not sure on numbers...but the vin # were low...we did catch early...i;m just taking in the american supercar show on the travel ch......he he i get 5.sec..of fame shows me putting on a front tire and working under the car.....c

team c

Nov 24, 2006
thank's!!!!!!!!!!

Specracer said:
You are SOOOO right about the team, I was so fortunate to meet so many of you, at the rally, and it is GREAT how many of you are here, and it is GREAT when someone speaks up, SO many others that only lurk.

Thanks!
well,to let people know my yearbook's on ebay am including a 8x10 of team photo w/ carroll shelby... and i signed it....also a print limited..#12 of only 150....c

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
team c said:
i get 5.sec..of fame shows me putting on a front tire and working under the car.....c

team c - you're easy to spot in the show. The good looking one taking pride in his work. :thumbsup

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
rmartin175 said:
I just visited the Ford Flat Rock Plant where we saw our 1st Shelby GT500 come off of the production line. What we observed was an interesting but surprising fact that may shed some light on this issue. Ford has attempted to improve their QA/QC, and customer quality metrics by actually scrapping (yes, I said scrapping!) complete cars that have come off of the assembly line (with VIIN's already applied) if they identified sufficient damage (in this case by the paint shop) or by the assembly line and they did not want to have to replace body panels that would have not exactly matched the BIW ID used for the various panels. This is a similar process many of you might recall from your tours at Wixom or SSV. Since we are in the hypothesis stage at this point in time, I thought I would provide this interesting tidbit of information we actually observed about three weeks ago.

While you were there did anyone notice the fact that the front bumper on the GT500 has 2 indentations in it to guide the dealer to install a front plate bracket.....which just happens to be off center.....When my dealer called me to let me know my Shelby was ready, they asked if i wanted a front license plate bracket....because NY State requires it...and I would be driving the Shelby on a regular basis, I asked them to install it.....to my dismay, when i picked up the car...I didn;t....I pointed out that the license plate frame was way off....they had no choice but to give me a new bumper......and BTW,, while at SEMA i checked out all of the Shelby's that were there...same issue.....I hope they have addressed it by now....