How Loud Is Too Loud?

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Ok, I'll chime in. I put the Heffner system on my car and am very happy with it. For normal driving it is not obnoxious, just throaty sounding. I don't get the dreaded droaning sound around town. Best thing about the exaust is when you want to get on the car it sounds spectacular. Best compliment I ever got was leaving from Dupont cars and coffee one Saturday, I passed a new aquaintance in a beautiful 67 GT500 Shelby Mustang. He had both windows down. I gave him a pretty high RPM pass, and when we stopped shortly later at his shop he had this to say..."When you passed me in that GT, it sounded like the gates of hell had opened up and all the demons came out. It was the best sounding car I've ever heard". Funny thing was, in the car it was not crazy loud, just sounded impressive. Guess it sounds different from behind :lol Don't think you'd be dissapointed with this system.

Rick

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Drop the cats and you will love the sound but after 30 seconds your ears will need plugs and every car alarm will go off!!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you can still make out casual conversation without a hearing aid, it is too soft, or you drive your car like EP. :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
BoatRacer, I'm closest to you. I have the Borla. You can hear it anytime I'm home. The Heffner is an excellent choice.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
I regularly get the same comments from people at traffic lights on my Heffner pipes..."That is the most amazing sound I have ever heard...awesome!" Best mod I ever did and brought an immediate smile to my face. My car sounds so good that I NEVER use my stereo when driving. My car's sound is the only music I want to hear....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...or you drive your car like EP. :biggrin

:skep :tap:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Frpp ford gt m-9430-gtx

See below.

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Frpp ford gt m-9430-gtx

Here is a fine example of the FRPP FORD GT M-9430-GTX rear exit headers.

Camera work is a little shakey ... but really, its all about the sound.

@ Tilted Kilt - Tempe, AZ off Warner & Kyrene.

It was such a nice day out, the Kilt had all the windows & doors open.

WARNING. Have your speaker volume control @ half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtuZrH369g

Enjoy.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here is a fine example of the FRPP FORD GT M-9430-GTX rear exit headers.

Camera work is a little shakey ... but really, its all about the sound.

@ Tilted Kilt - Tempe, AZ off Warner & Kyrene.

It was such a nice day out, the Kilt had all the windows & doors open.

WARNING. Have your speaker volume control @ half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtuZrH369g

Enjoy.

Those last 4 seconds of video were also quite notable!

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I said enjoy! :)

Just got a new HD video camera.

Stay tuned for more videos.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
That is an awesome quote!

I have a Shadowman cat delete system and am loving it. Looks great too.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I have the Borla and the Accufab X-pipe.

The Accufab is the better sound. Deep, throaty, it burbles on the overrun, fantastic. People stop and look and give thumbs up when I drive through the local villages.

But it is loud, really loud. I bought the Borla because I could not drive the car for longer than 15 minutes without earplugs.

The Borla is a great compromise. It has 2 wonderful looking tips and the sound is mean (especially when you floor it) and full. And it's not too lou allowing you to drive for hours with no problems (we did 3k miles in 4 days this Summer with no problem whatsoever).

The problem with the Borla is that it came apart. This Summer during our trip around Europe I drove the car for long periods at speed higher than 160-165mph....

The muffler just came apart. All the welds that hold the muffler together let go and also you could hear the baffles moving inside.

Basically when I took the car to Revolve/Roush here in the UK they explain to me that a lot of testing was done on the Autobahn on the stock exhaust for this very reason.

Cruising at high speed for longer periods of time is the worst possible scenario for the exhaust.... lots of flow at a very high temperature....

When I called Borla asking for help and mentioning the life time warranty they laughed and said the product was not designed for such abuse... (plus in small print it says the warranty is not valid outside the US).

So to finish this long reply I think the Borla sounds perfect if you want something that is louder than stock but that will not make your ears bleed or piss your neighbours off.

If you are already half deaf then the Accufab is just incredible....

Good luck!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you are already half deaf then the Accufab is just incredible....

(Note to self: Accufab "X"-pipe on next FGT. :biggrin)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I had the same problem with the Borla. It's a real shame because I always thought their products were high quality. I have sense heard of several of the GT Borla systems busting at the seems.

I am running the Flowmaster system now... it is, uhmmmm aggressive. ;) I would not recommend it for people with heart conditions or anyone who needs to sneak around the neighborhood after 1am.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
My Borla split at the seams, too. Any competent TiG welder can re-weld the seams with deeper, broader welds. In fact, I think that should be done on any Borla prior to installation. My re-welder said the OEM welds were machine-made and very shallow, but pretty to look at. As for internal welds...who knows? I am very happy with my re-welded Borla.
Howard

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Revolve/Roush re-welded all the seams on the outside. They held. But now I have the inside baffles moving around and it's just horrible...

It creates resonance at 1,400, 2,800 and 4,000 rpms as if there was some loose nuts inside the muffler box.

It makes the car sound as if there is something broken inside.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Given what I have read I wouldn't recommend a Borla for sustained spirited use. Seem to be a thermal design issue that causes the internal and external welds to fail.

Note this is not a problem unique to Borla. I have heard of more than one stock muffler having internal baffles work loose from owners that tracked the cars. Also some catback system also have problems. The wide range of temperature swings combined with the thermal expansion coefficient of stainless steel are the main culprits.

What is the solution to this?

Drive like EP would. You never will have a fail exhaust sytem.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Drive like EP would. You never will have a fail exhaust sytem.

'So very true (for ONCE!), Grasshopper...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've got 14K on my Borla, mostly highway, 6 track events, no problems. Knock on wood.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I've got 14K on my Borla, mostly highway, 6 track events, no problems. Knock on wood.

14K! The sum of mileage EP entire fleet over his lifetime wouldn't add up to 14K.