How Loud Is Too Loud?

BoatRacer

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2009
I really like the sound of my stock GT exhaust. However, I'm looking into a Heffner cat-back system. Can anyone comment on the exhaust noise/tone difference between the two?
Thanks in advance!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
DO IT!!! The Heff is much throatier at idle, and it absolutely roars at WOT. But it's not THAT much louder below 3000 RPM. Nevertheless, it has a MUCH better timbre. I know I love mine!!!

Just do it. It's great!!! I think that there's a exhaust comparison thread on here or on youtube comparing all the different sounds. Lots of good ones. It's my opinion that ALL the aftermarket ones sound better than the stock, which does sound pretty darn great if you haven't heard an aftermarket one.

To my ear, the Heff sounds fantastic. Plus those tips sure do look good. :thumbsup

LeonardK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 6, 2008
That's a tough question to answer for someone else. I have the Heffner cat back on my GT and love it. It is significantly louder than stock and I would guess I wouldn't pass one of those noise inspections we are lucky enough to have in California. The Heffner has a deeper sound than some of the others. I believe there is a thread on these somewhere with sound clips. In any case I highly recommend the Heffner but it is much louder.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
DO IT!!! The Heff is much throatier at idle, and it absolutely roars at WOT. But it's not THAT much louder below 3000 RPM. Nevertheless, it has a MUCH better timbre. I know I love mine!!!

Just do it. It's great!!! I think that there's a exhaust comparison thread on here or on youtube comparing all the different sounds. Lots of good ones. It's my opinion that ALL the aftermarket ones sound better than the stock, which does sound pretty darn great if you haven't heard an aftermarket one.

To my ear, the Heff sounds fantastic. Plus those tips sure do look good. :thumbsup

That's a tough question to answer for someone else. I have the Heffner cat back on my GT and love it. It is significantly louder than stock and I would guess I wouldn't pass one of those noise inspections we are lucky enough to have in California. The Heffner has a deeper sound than some of the others. I believe there is a thread on these somewhere with sound clips. In any case I highly recommend the Heffner but it is much louder.

Bolded comments above to evidence that it's especially tough to answer that question for someone else! :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
BoatRacer, let us know what part of the Country you are in and maybe we can find someone near you with the Heffner. We have installed a couple of dozen of them - and I can only tell you that we never had someone with any regrets.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
in my camaro i have to wear earplugs when i am not wearing my helmet :eek i draw the line on the plugs in my GT......

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I have a nearly new Accufab X-Pipe I might sell you. I want straight race headers :) The X-Pipe is louder than stock when standing on it but pretty quiet when just cruising.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Ralphie's GT comes to mind, my ears are still ringing.

Louder than the CR6 Corvette that was at TWS for the Rally yesterday.

Red might no be the fastest, but certainly the loudest. A truly wonderful note it played! Spectacular.

BoatRacer

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2009
WOW - Thank you so much for the responses. Very helpful!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
if you dont set off every single car alarm when driving in a parking lot its not loud enough:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
if you dont set off every single car alarm when driving in a parking lot its not loud enough:biggrin

:agree: I've said for years, "If you can't HEAR IT three blocks before you can SEE IT - it isn't worth owning." :lol

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I have a Heffner cat back and had it noise tested at my local circuit.

120.9 db

Superb:cheers

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 that is one LOUD beast. Was around it quite a few times @ TWS at WOT. Very loud.

Loudest of the weekend, though, had to be "Peak's" matte black one, the turbos were the only muffler....

Ralphie's GT comes to mind, my ears are still ringing.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have a nearly new Accufab X-Pipe I might sell you. I want straight race headers :) The X-Pipe is louder than stock when standing on it but pretty quiet when just cruising.

Might wanna listen to one that has those first. They are VERY VERY loud. Lots of drone in the car with those and in my personal opinion makes the car less enjoyable to drive.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Does the racing system collector style muffler knock the edge off Shelby? Do header systems for the GT in general have issues with leakage? Thx

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Might wanna listen to one that has those first. They are VERY VERY loud. Lots of drone in the car with those and in my personal opinion makes the car less enjoyable to drive.

No Joke!!! At the speedway I heard a few of the straight pipe systems and holly cow... they were insane. My neighbors would put out a contract on my head if I tried that trick. They are already conspiring over the cat delete system.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
+1 that is one LOUD beast. Was around it quite a few times @ TWS at WOT. Very loud.

Loudest of the weekend, though, had to be "Peak's" matte black one, the turbos were the only muffler....

I think so too. I heard it set off more car alarms than any car at the rally.:banana

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Does the racing system collector style muffler knock the edge off Shelby? Do header systems for the GT in general have issues with leakage? Thx

Honestly in my opinion, anything OVER a cat-back system is a little loud for my taste. Best possibility is to go with Ford racing headers and borla (ford racing) exhaust. The Borla exhaust has an actual exhaust can like the factory exhaust. The Borla alone is TOO quiet for my taste, but in combination with the ford racing headers I fell with be the sound you are looking for. Louder than what you have NOW, but not CRAZY loud. If you use one of the y-pipe cat backs with the headers its gonna be LOUD! :eek

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I actually think Soroush's car was louder as he doesn't have the turbos for mufflers :biggrin