How Long Before The Whining Starts

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
My understanding is that the 08 Viper has already been tested against the Z06 by 3 magazines and my prediction is the Viper Kicks Ass. How long before the Z guys start the "Monster Whine" of all time and the excuses start as to why the Z is faster.

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
about 3-4 weeks ago. :)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't know, but I can tell you that when it starts, it won't be starting here. Two different cars which clearly have two different kinds of fans. Both are fast enough to get your average joe in more than enough trouble.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Well....it was a bit quiet around here.lol.

You know the truth of it though. The '08 will be faster than the Z...but the REAL power comes in the shape of the '06 Viper. The truly last of the easily mod-able Vipers. Here is what you do. Get a set of the '08 over the counter Mopar heads, add a comp coupe cam....exhaust, and you are at over 600 ponies...with a motor that a Paxton SC will bolt right on. Soooo, now you are at over 700 wheel...on very low and safe PSI for less than the cost of an '08. That is my plan anyway, as soon as the '08 heads are available. But I will have an '08 as well.:thumbsup

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I am not so sure the viper will be faster! Its way, way behind in the real world maybe a bit closer in magazine land but I am not sure 90 more flywheel hp is going to be enough to make up the power to weight and almost a second and 10 mph in the quarter but maybe it will? I will definately find out as my buddy has an 08 on order and I am sure we will be to the track shortly after he picks it up.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, what I meant was that you can go to 6speedonline, Ferrarichat, Lambopower, the Alley, etc and there's one common thread: A group with the incessant need to wander the net and prove the worthiness of one particular car which shall remain nameless to every other car owner :wink VERY annoying.

The 08 Viper is very appealing to me because it looks like a track superstar. Subtle changes have made that car very appealing. Obviously, if you want immense power though, the 06 is king.

I've still never driven an SRT :willy

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am not so sure the viper will be faster! Its way, way behind in the real world maybe a bit closer in magazine land but I am not sure 90 more flywheel hp is going to be enough to make up the power to weight and almost a second and 10 mph in the quarter but maybe it will? I will definately find out as my buddy has an 08 on order and I am sure we will be to the track shortly after he picks it up.

A second? Try 3 tenths of a second in the Quarter with Equal Drivers(I think Lamboman can attest to this). Its also 615HP at the crank and 540RWHP for 08.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Yeah, what I meant was that you can go to 6speedonline, Ferrarichat, Lambopower, the Alley, etc and there's one common thread: A group with the incessant need to wander the net and prove the worthiness of one particular car which shall remain nameless to every other car owner :wink VERY annoying.

The 08 Viper is very appealing to me because it looks like a track superstar. Subtle changes have made that car very appealing. Obviously, if you want immense power though, the 06 is king.

I've still never driven an SRT :willy
The most Annoying part of these "Wanderers" is they don't own the cars on these different forums. I see it on the Ferrari forum and the Porsche forum constantly. If you don't own the car or never have any intention of owning the car for real than stay Off the forum. :frown

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area

Jamie...trust me, or don't, but it is faster...considerably faster. Now, ask the few people who own an '06 or '07 Z...and also have an SRT. .3 all day long, same driver, same day. Myself...3 Z's and many Vipers...and the #'s are still the same. Yeah..I know, I don't know how to drive the Z like a couple of well known Z owners. Power to weight man...it doesn't kid you. Below is the RWHP % to total weight.

'08 Viper...........15.8
FGT...................14.9
Z......................14.4
'06 SRT..............12.9

Notice the difference between the '06 Viper and Z.....1.5%. Same as the '08 Viper to the Z...well 1.4%. Throw in new sticky tires, a significant rear end improvement........lights out.

Last edited:

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I have owned and raced the Srt and still own the Z06 and the GT as well as several other cars. I am pretty well known in the Viper community running My Supercharged Viper, the first successful one by the way, done by Jason Heffner and I have run several of Jasons customers cars and some of Jasons First Twin Turbo cars for him as well. I have run at several of the Viper shootouts in Englishtown and Beech Bend in Bowling Green. I ran low 10's on street tires at Beech Bend in Gary Almonds Supercharged Rt/10 which was the fastest time on street tires and I think I am a pretty competant driver, as I am sure most guys that know me or have raced with me will agree. The SRT in as delivered condition usually runs low 12's at about 118 with a good driver and I think if you call Jason he will tell you thats what they run in Bradenton when they take stockers out with a good driver. I have seen and driven many and have never seen a stock Srt go 11's although I am sure there are a few guys that have made that perfect pass and put one in the 11's but I have never seen one. On the other hand I have seen many stock GTS and Gen 2 vipers go 11's and I think in the viper community most guys will tell you the gts will out quarter mile the Srt, maybe the 19" wheels and tall tires and gear ratio with 3.07's hamper its 1/4 mile time on the SRT? Now for the Z06 my first day out on my first pass the car went 11.4 at 127 and lived in the 11.3's all day at 128 mph with a best of 11.2 at 129 to date, and that is as delivered 100% bone stock, with tires would easily go 10's. My Gt went 11.5 at 127 on its best pass as delivered. There have been no quartermile tests run on the 2008viper so everything is speculation, but 3 tenths for the current Viper and the new Z06? That's just fantasy, not even in the same league, everybodys got a buddy who's car ran this or that, I can speak from first hand experience hands on both cars and that why I say I will believe it when I see it or experience it!

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I'm going to go with lambomans prediction its Lights out..... I appreciate Jamie's vast experience with the Viper but only Lamboman has the inside scoop on the 08 Viper. Theres a rumour that in one of the mag tests between the Z and 08 Viper the Viper trapped 130MPH in the Quarter.

Last edited:

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
Its crazy when a car with a full warranty will trap in the 130's.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
What magazine? Where can I pick up this article?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
What magazine? Where can I pick up this article?

3 Magazines have already tested the Z06 against the 08 Viper, I Don't know which 3. I merely stated a "Rumour" about one of the tests. None of the 3 MAG tests are in circulation yet. I'll go out on a Limb and say that the 08 Viper wins all speed contests in these 3 Mag articles Same Driver,Day,Conditions. I'll also go as far to say that after the release of the 08 Viper to the public that some one will run high 10's bone stock on street tires not DR's like the Z.

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I'll also go as far to say that after the release of the 08 Viper to the public that some one will run high 10's bone stock on street tires not DR's like the Z.

I think that is an excellent prediction. Of course....we are all bench racing....and only time will tell. I personally plan on getting it into the 10's, which is only .6 quicker than times I have run in an SRT...bone stock. The tires alone are worth .2-.3. Took a friend out in my stock SRT the other day, his first time running an SRT in the quarter. After giving him a couple of tips, he clicked off an 11.71 first run, and 11.62 2nd run. The SRT can run alot quicker than the "standard times" and mag test results also.

Last edited:

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I think that is an excellent prediction. Of course....we are all bench racing....and only time will tell. I personally plan on getting it into the 10's, which is only .6 quicker than times I have run in an SRT...bone stock. The tires alone are worth .2-.3. Took a friend out in my stock SRT the other day, his first time running an SRT in the quarter. After giving him a couple of tips, he clicked off an 11.71 first run, and 11.62 2nd run. The SRT can run alot quicker than the "standard times" and mag test results also.

Aj is that on a radial? Is a SRT a hard car to drive fast?

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Aj is that on a radial? Is a SRT a hard car to drive fast?

Yes...stock run-flats. It is a bear to launch and get traction. Not a hard car to drive fast.....but it takes alot of practice to get it going quickly. Takes just the right amount of...........well, you know.

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
I am an auto entusiast as well, but I agree with some other posts. The Viper is an awesome car, but it's weight may be an issue. If you are not racing, in my opinion, I would like to own both if I could do it. Both are neat cars.

JG853
1996 Corvette Grand Sport
2002 LG Motorsports Z06 (N/A - 492 RWHP / 432 RW Torque)
2006 LG Motorsports Z06 (N/A - 650 RWHP / 530 RW Torque)

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I am an auto entusiast as well, but I agree with some other posts. The Viper is an awesome car, but it's weight may be an issue. If you are not racing, in my opinion, I would like to own both if I could do it. Both are neat cars.

JG853
1996 Corvette Grand Sport
2002 LG Motorsports Z06 (N/A - 492 RWHP / 432 RW Torque)
2006 LG Motorsports Z06 (N/A - 650 RWHP / 530 RW Torque)

Those are extremly healthy numbers. What are the mods on these cars?

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Those are extremly healthy numbers. What are the mods on these cars?

I agree...how did you manage 650 rwhp without N20 on a new Z06? Is that on a Dynojet with SAE correction? Most, like mine, are in the low to mid 500 rwhp with cam/headers/intake/tune.