How Long Before The Whining Starts

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
It is LG's race package. H/C application with Lou's custom race cam, Ported LS7 heads, and every bolt on possible. Tuned at LG. Numbers are SAE.

If you go to his site, you can see his car on there with a video. I have the same package. He actually put down more power than I did.

Needless to say, the LS7 engine has a lot of potential.

My 2002 LG Z06 is running at 492 RWHP (SAE) and it is extremely quick for a 346. I am just not a big forced induction guy. So, as you can imagine, the cam is very healthy and the heads are milled to a high compression.

JG853

Those are extremly healthy numbers. What are the mods on these cars?

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
It is LG's race package. H/C application with Lou's custom race cam, Ported LS7 heads, and every bolt on possible. Tuned at LG. Numbers are SAE.

If you go to his site, you can see his car on there with a video. I have the same package. He actually put down more power than I did.

My 2002 LG Z06 is running at 492 RWHP (SAE) and it is extremely quick for a 346. I am just not a big forced induction guy. So, as you can imagine, the cam is very healthy and the heads are milled to a high compression.

JG853

it's also on race gas.....AND no other tuner has got close to those numbers which to me says they are questionable.

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
I can run on 100 octane without any problems and pass emmissions. BTW - 100 octane is not race gas either. It is sold all over the place in IL. Race gas is a higher octane. Never tried 93, but I will. I run 93 or 100 in my C5Z, and it is fine either way. Compression is power for heads...

And, just for your information, check out the numbers East Coast Supercharging is posting on C5 Z06's getting 500 RWHP without any problems on their H/C applications on a 346. Do you believe their numbers? On top of that, Vette Doctors posted similar numbers to my package on the C6Z.

Furthermore, LPE and Mallett will build a similar car without any questions and they have. They will tell you though that they will not warranty it like they do their other applications. None of these cars are street legal, but I passed because of an excellent tune by Lou. I am sure the other shops can tune it to pass as well.

My numbers speak for themselves, and the car is a proven set-up from Lou G himself. If you question my numbers, might as well question every other tuners numbers as well for any kind of car. I did not do any dyno tricks, just have a little money in the car to get it the way I wanted it.

it's also on race gas.....AND no other tuner has got close to those numbers which to me says they are questionable.

bondmid003

Apr 17, 2006
Gulf Breeze, FL
My understanding is that the 08 Viper has already been tested against the Z06 by 3 magazines and my prediction is the Viper Kicks Ass. How long before the Z guys start the "Monster Whine" of all time and the excuses start as to why the Z is faster.

Z06 owners don't whine brother, sorry :rofl Seriously if the new Viper beats it, good for it :thumbsup

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
C5 Z06's getting 500 RWHP without any problems on their H/C applications on a 346. Do you believe their numbers? On top of that, Vette Doctors posted similar numbers to my package on the C6Z.

500rwhp has been done many times on a 346......650rwhp on 93 oct has never been done with an LS based motor. I thought the car had a built short block as well, no?

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio

JG853

I take it you have a ported fast 90/90 setup as well. What are the non sae numbers? I know there are guys out there producing more horse with simmilar ci but there turning them to 9k.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Z06 owners don't whine brother, sorry

Now that's funny!!!

The Z has been crushed...you just don't know it yet.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Now that's funny!!!

The Z has been crushed...you just don't know it yet.

My Sentiments Exactly! Wait till the Mags hit the stands its going to be beautiful.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'm sure things have gotten slow around here with the GT going out of production but jeez, don't look for something that isn't there

Huh? :confused More activity on this board than ever...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't know, but I can tell you that when it starts, it won't be starting here.

I hate to quote myself, but the tenths of a second bitching contests can be reserved for other boards. I put the Viper section here because it has alot of common owners with the GT. Not to endure the Corvette/Viper pissing matches that dominate other forums (please refer all your smack talk to Viper Alley). Both are great, both are for largely different markets despite their similarity. When one is faster than the other, rock on. That said, I don't think anyone who wrote a check for one couldn't have wrote it for the other, so nobody is getting swayed by doing this :slap

(the posts that generated this have gone "poof!)

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
Correct -

I am running a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 with a Nick Williams TB. Tony is a good friend of mine. I am also running AFR Heads.

You are correct with the turning. I have my AFR set at 13:1, which is conservative given what other guys are doing.

Regards,

JG853[

QUOTE=04mach1;60933]I take it you have a ported fast 90/90 setup as well. What are the non sae numbers? I know there are guys out there producing more horse with simmilar ci but there turning them to 9k.[/QUOTE]

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
I agree - The new Viper is very nice.

Z06 owners don't whine brother, sorry :rofl Seriously if the new Viper beats it, good for it :thumbsup

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
SATX -
500 RWHP NA has not been done very often. In fact, up until now, there were only two tuners that posted dynos and got there NA on a C5Z - LG and Cartek.

Now, ECS has broken that mark on their H/C package with Trick Flow heads.

If you are talking about FI cars, correct, many have done it. I just like the shake of a mean cam a little more than FI.

My C5 Z was done by LG Motorsports and Tony Mamo of AFR.

Regards,

JG853

500rwhp has been done many times on a 346......650rwhp on 93 oct has never been done with an LS based motor. I thought the car had a built short block as well, no?

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
Correct -

I am running a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 with a Nick Williams TB. Tony is a good friend of mine. I am also running AFR Heads.

You are correct with the turning. I have my AFR set at 13:1, which is conservative given what other guys are doing.

Regards,

JG853

AFR heads are some if not the best heads on the market. I belive Katech has some cars extremly close to the 500rwhp mark as well as TPS had a white camaro that was supposdly close but there was a quite lenghty debate that the numbers were fake. AFR 225 heads and LG long tubes my freind has a simmilar setup on his FRC that did 473rwhp SAE with a FAST but not a 90/90. He rcently upgraded to basically your setup and hes going for a retune soon. What cam do you have? Do you have any pictures of your car?

Thanks,
Nate

Last edited:

JG853

Permanent Vacation
Jan 2, 2007
Hi Nate -

Katech is a very good shop as well. They put out an awesome product. My friend sent his CTS-V there and when it is back, I am sure it will nice.

Cam - G5X3 @ 112 LSA. I have pictures of my C5 and C6 Z06's on LG's website. Both appear stock until I start them up or you look at the suspension :)

Regards,

JG853

AFR heads are some if not the best heads on the market. I belive Katech has some cars extremly close to the 500rwhp mark as well as TPS had a white camaro that was supposdly close but there was a quite lenghty debate that the numbers were fake. AFR 225 heads and LG long tubes my freind has a simmilar setup on his FRC that did 473rwhp SAE with a FAST but not a 90/90. He rcently upgraded to basically your setup and hes going for a retune soon. What cam do you have? Do you have any pictures of your car?

Thanks,
Nate

Hey boys.... are there any women here???

I think the last time (that I read about) the 3 "big" Europeans and 3 big Americans (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Viper, Z06 and GT) went head to head on a track with consistent drivers the Viper won all out for driveablilty... ease/comfort/controlability. OK, OK... the GT's actually won on paper- but some people want to drive and aren't on tracks all day.

We have both a Viper Venom 1000 (Hennessey) and a GTX1 and believe it or not, the GT is a LOT easier to drive for me... but I'm not on a track and the top is off for a "no cage" effect.

Again, where are the girls/wives on this forum?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The Whining has Begun........................

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The Whining has Begun........................

That it has. And it's coming from both sides. :rofl It's guaranteed the Corvette dudes will run onto the Viper sites to say "your car sucks!" and then the Viper guys say "no your car sucks!".

"Your car is uncomfortable"
"I saw 47 of your car today. At the grocery store."
"I paid $17K less and with 10k in mods I'll kill you and I'll have 7k left over."
"You keep the gold chain and toupe industries in business"

Lather, rinse, repeat. Hilarious.

I'm sure someone on here who doesn't have to kiss the ring of one brand will eventually have both and make a great comparison. I think it's fair to say the Viper is going to be the faster car, however marginal the difference is, in every situation. Especially on the race track. I'm also sure the Z06 is way more liveable. Whatever floats your boat!

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
My personal experience with a stock Z06 (not dynoed) and stock GT which dynoed 519 RWHP, supports Jamie's comments. Side by side, at 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, one gear at a time, the Z06 pulled the GT, negligibly in 1st, modestly in 2nd and noticeably in 3rd. I thought the opposite would occur based upon seat-of-the-pants feel The stock GT has since been SCT dyno tuned to 559 RWHP, but I haven't had the opportunity to do the same comparison runs. The Z06 is a beast and the Blue Devil will be a monster, but they become disposable when the new models come out, which is another good reason to be a GT owner. :cheers

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Wow I had forgot about this thread it was started so long ago, but I guess after a year and the Viper being out for quite a while I guess the Z06 has held up pretty well! Since this thread has started I put my Bone Stock 06 Z06in the 10's on the run flat tires last November, a couple of tenths better than my previous best and the only Z06 that has been there so far although a couple of guys are getting close. The best times I have seen for the Vipers are comparable to most Z06's but not 10's yet so I guess that beat down I had been reading in earlier posts of this thread never materialized? I am going to see if I can change that as I have an ACR coming pretty soon and I hope to put it in the 10's as well.