hoosier tires

Demolition Man

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 29, 2006
danville, CA
To those of you who are interested, my car was the red gt #1 at the rally. The hoosiers on the front are 245/40ZR18 and the rear are 315/40ZR19. The Hoosier part numbers are HOO2454018R6 and HOO3154019R6 respectively. They come with two center grooves, I added more to make them look not so illegal. They will see the track next month and I will post my thoughts.

Rick

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Rick,
The Hooisers should stick like glue then. Good choice of tires. But there's no need to add grooves as the R6's are DOT legal. Hope they wear better than the A5/R5's though. Also, have you considered going w/ 275-35/18 and 345-30/19's? I know the 345's fit because that's why Accufab is running on their silver GT, don't know for sure about the fronts though. I've been prying for the Pilot Sport Cups, P Zero Corsa or the Yoko A048's to be available in these sizes.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Tires

I have a new set of Pirellis going on the GT next week. (Maserati MC12 spec) Full report after they are installed.

By the way...most knowlegible tire guy I know is Bob Woodman of Bob Woodman Tires. A racer and all round good car guy. Order your Hoosiers and others from him. (Yes, this is a shamelss plug!! But Bob is truly the racers friend!) He's at Watkin's Glen this week end racing a vintage Ferarri!! He also won Group C last year in HSR!! Call him with any tire questions. He is as good as they get.

Gordon.

See: www.bobwoodmantires.com

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
FB GT40 said:
I have a new set of Pirellis going on the GT next week. (Maserati MC12 spec) Full report after they are installed.

See: www.bobwoodmantires.com

I completely concur with your comments on Woodman Tires. Great staff and awesome support at the track. What are the sizes for the Pirellis and will they fit on the stock rims?

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Pirelli

Sorry, don't mean to be vague, but I'm not sure exactly what the exact sizes are. And knowing this board - I'm not posting anything unless it is absolutely verifiable and correct. (They will come to your house and make you study the workshop manual, you know? :eek ) Bob spoke directly with the Pirelli guys - turns out the tires for the Maserati MC12 - are about spot on. There is a half-inch difference on the rear rim width. We will mount them as soon as Bob gets back from the Glen. I'll do a post once done. They are going on stock rims for my Heritage (not the upgraded rims).

G.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
FB GT40 said:
Sorry, don't mean to be vague, but I'm not sure exactly what the exact sizes are. And knowing this board - I'm not posting anything unless it is absolutely verifiable and correct. (They will come to your house and make you study the workshop manual, you know? :eek ) Bob spoke directly with the Pirelli guys - turns out the tires for the Maserati MC12 - are about spot on. There is a half-inch difference on the rear rim width. We will mount them as soon as Bob gets back from the Glen. I'll do a post once done. They are going on stock rims for my Heritage (not the upgraded rims).

G.

Can't wait for your sizes! And hope they are DOT rated like the P Zero Corsas. 265 fronts and 345 rears please please please. :bow

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
R6 Hoosiers

I mounted them on mine and knocked 4.50 seconds off of 2.4 mile track.....totally different....front and rear stick great. It is not quite as predictable when it goes into oversteer as with the factory tires.....sticks like glue right up to the point it lets go!!

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
kosupply said:
I mounted them on mine and knocked 4.50 seconds off of 2.4 mile track.....totally different....front and rear stick great. It is not quite as predictable when it goes into oversteer as with the factory tires.....sticks like glue right up to the point it lets go!!
What sizes did you have? I don't know about the R/A6's but the Kumho V710's on my GT3 breakaway so progressively and predictable, too bad the right sizes aren't available yet.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
kosupply said:

Imagine the Road and Track writeup if they had DOT tires on the GT as the Italian cars did. The outcome would have been totally reversed.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Bart Carter said:
Imagine the Road and Track writeup if they had DOT tires on the GT as the Italian cars did. The outcome would have been totally reversed.

Exactly! I had PS2 on my Prosche GT3 when I first got the car, and going from the PS2's w/ a wear rating of 220 to P Zero Corsa's (60), my lap time dropped by 2 seconds on small tracks, and then when I use DOT slicks such as the V710's w/ a wear rating of 30, lap time would drop another 1 to 1.5 seconds. The GT would have spanked all others had it been running R compound tires.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
What Track Tire ??

So, to all of you tire experts out there. What tire can I run to get more traction out of the GT. I need a recommendation for the 1/4 mile drag strip and one for road courses ( Watkins Glen, Lime rock, VIR, Pocono, etc.)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hoosiers are fantastic track tires, but I wouldn't run them on the street. They will pick up every rock and pebble on the road. They are truly made of glue.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
True they rock !

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Hoosier tires were tuned for the GT by ford SVT

When you are thinking about track tires.
Keep this in mind-
The Hoosiers were constructed specifically for the GT.
And were part of a long term development project between SVT and Bruce Foos @ Hoosier.

SVT took development tires of different construction and ruber compounds.
To most of the GT track tests. Working with the Hoosier racing test engineers. We developed the proper race tire for track days. This work was done along side other GT testing that was done after the Goodyear elected to not develop a race tire in our size.

Food for thought

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
MR2Race said:
When you are thinking about track tires.
Keep this in mind-
The Hoosiers were constructed specifically for the GT.
And were part of a long term development project between SVT and Bruce Foos @ Hoosier.

SVT took development tires of different construction and ruber compounds.
To most of the GT track tests. Working with the Hoosier racing test engineers. We developed the proper race tire for track days. This work was done along side other GT testing that was done after the Goodyear elected to not develop a race tire in our size.

Food for thought

I've seen 345's running in the back w/ no problem and wonder if 255 or even 265's can be used in the front. I'm thinking of R6's in these sizes on a second set of (standard) rims (painted orange) for the track. Now does anyone with a spare set of wheels for sale?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bart Carter said:

Did you catch their reply to someone who wrote just that in a letter to the editor... ??? :bs