Help! Should I integrate a lift rails into my new garage floor?

Happy Feet

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 9, 2009
Pasadena, Ca
Hello Everyone,

I am building a new separate garage and was thinking should I get a BendPak HD-9 and make it smooth to the floor or am I going to break an ankle working under the car with the two inserts in the floor? Second question should I but the power for the HD-9 in the floor or above? Last question if you had to do your garage any different what would have added that you missed?

Best Regards,

Chuck

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I like the idea of having the rails smooth with the floor make getting the lowered cars on and off a lot easier, but I never thought about the unleveled floor causing issues during work on the car. its a good point, I think I would still make the rails flush with the floors and make custom filler pieces out of wood or whatever to fill in the spaces when the lift is up. talking form experience here, I hate getting my cars on and off the lift with out having someone there watching to see if something is going to rub...

as for the electrical it should be above you dont want anything to get in the elec. outlets if its on the floor. It will be out of the way when done properly.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
don't forget to run the air line for the BP with the power - and re: air lines I would run a hard line across the garage with fittings dropped on the wall every 10-12'. I also added the air dehydrator/ oiler on the air lines so no need to sorry for the lifting jack or power tools....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have the air and power coming in from the top. As for driving onto the lift I took a tip from another forum member and have a mirror placed so that I can see the driver's side front wheel as it approaches the ramp.

H

HHGT

I wish i recessed my lift in but not just for the rails. i would do it for the whole footprint with a drain to wash it out if needed.

Outkastscc

Oct 17, 2007
Check out the forum here. Good info.

Www.garagejournal.com

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Living in the Northeast, I tend to use my lift for storage/ service and I am constantly walking under the car. I think the cut outs for the ramps would cause me issues. Now, if I lived in a Better Place and only used the lift as a parking spot, so it was raised for service only then the flush ramps would be fantastic!!

John

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
BTW - You want the "WIDE" HD-9 and make sure you have a minimal of 12' to 14' celling planned....... Looking at the thread I like the idea of a total recessed BP (ramps, cross member, legs, etc.)

Why? 1- no ramps, 2- flush mounted, with legs bolted more stable, 3- floor drain obvious to wash total under lift "pan", 4- still easily serviceable and 5- with car down and on lift flush on ground floor and nobody can fall in 4" hole.:cheers

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
You lose ground floor parking with a recessed drive on lift.

btw order aluminum drive on ramps. Your back will thank you.

I brought in power and air in from the top and attached them waist high to the post. Very convienient to use.

If you can, have 14' clearance to ceiling. And in floor lighting is a nice touch.

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
- Nope, just drive in I figure with lift down.... otherwise car is in a 4" ditch :wink

two options - eliminate with recessed or use the "stays" with the BP ramps. I never take mine off and they don't droop. Problem is you have to plan/ give up the additional 2 1/2' of ramp length

And in floor lighting is a nice touch.
- good idea - hate the drop light... next garage...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
how bout having the whole thing recessed imagin a entire area under the lift rails recessed, the entrance onto the lift rails can be flush with the rails could work, this way you have the whole area under the lift at the same level be it 4 inches recessed as compared to the rest of the garage floor????

H

HHGT

how bout having the whole thing recessed imagin a entire area under the lift rails recessed, the entrance onto the lift rails can be flush with the rails could work, this way you have the whole area under the lift at the same level be it 4 inches recessed as compared to the rest of the garage floor????

That's what I meant by the whole footprint. The drain would be to wash things down.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I have a Rotary Revolution lift in my garage, power comes down from above, very light weight aluminum ramps that don't rub anything on my slightly lowered GT, and it's wide enough that I drive on and off of it without worrying about hitting anything. I hose my coated garage floor off several times a year and I would not like a floor that was not both flat and slightly slanted toward the garage door opening. The majority of the time my GT is up on the lift and I have a smooth usable area underneath. I would think long & hard before cutting slots or recesses in a garage floor.

Chip

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State

I brought in power and air in from the top and attached them waist high to the post. Very convienient to use.

If you can, have 14' clearance to ceiling. And in floor lighting is a nice touch.

Jeff has it nailed. If I could do it all over again, my shop would look like the following pictures. If you want the details, I think I still have all the parts pieces listed somewhere in my office. Will be at my office in the next couple of days if info is required. Don't know about recesses for lift arms. Might be problematic long term. DJ

4j6lom.jpg
[/IMG]
15yxn3d.jpg
[/IMG]