HELP!! MY FORD IS LEEKING OIL FROM THE oil cooler

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
hiii did anyone had faced the same problem

my ford is leaking oil from the oil cooler now we changed the oil cooler and we changed the gasket 3 times and its still doin the same thinggg please helpppppppppp :( :( :(:confused

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Send an email to Dennis and Rich the Gt Guys LLC

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
I would think about having some one else look at the problem.

It is a simple system and if the gasket did not fix it.
It may not be a gasket problem?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The trans on the Ford GT, especially the earlier models is known for leaking. You prob need to install the breather that T&A makes. Seems to fix the problem 90% of the time

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Shelby, I think he is referreing to the OEM engine oil cooler. There was some oil coolers that had a cracked case, but the replacement procedure is fairly straightforward.

fordgtkwt - you need to take the GT somewhere else for repair. If you've done this 3 times then it is likely that the repair is not being done correctly, or you are addressing the wrong problem. This is a simple system at this point.

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
ford gt leak

the problem is tht im from outside the united states thts first

2nd my car is at the dealership since 17 of march we went through the car record and it mentioned tht they have changed the oil cooler and the gaskets earlier

we changed the gasket 2nd time there wasnt any leak till about after an hour it started leaking again now we placed some kind of tape over the gasket and installed it again the leak has stopped for 4 hours and we r gona see by 2morrow if it had stopped completely :( hope soo fingers crossed

3rd when u look at this cooler gasket it has the worst design ive ever seen and its actually build with cheap stuff i wonder why they doo thtt

but thanx for the advice i will send a msg to gt guys and see wat they say had anyone faced the same problem before :/

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
im reffering to the OEM oil cooler exactly thanx nota4re

H

HHGT

the problem is tht im from outside the united states thts first

2nd my car is at the dealership since 17 of march we went through the car record and it mentioned tht they have changed the oil cooler and the gaskets earlier

we changed the gasket 2nd time there wasnt any leak till about after an hour it started leaking again now we placed some kind of tape over the gasket and installed it again the leak has stopped for 4 hours and we r gona see by 2morrow if it had stopped completely :( hope soo fingers crossed

3rd when u look at this cooler gasket it has the worst design ive ever seen and its actually build with cheap stuff i wonder why they doo thtt

but thanx for the advice i will send a msg to gt guys and see wat they say had anyone faced the same problem before :/

Are you in Salmiyah?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
im reffering to the OEM oil cooler exactly thanx nota4re

Sorry, I was thinking Trans....

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
nope not in salmiyah surprised u knew where that is probably a place you dont knw the name of it salwa!!

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Darn! I was just there for a week and would have been happy to have a look. We stay at the SAS all the time - would love to see your car next time I'm there.

Aug 25, 2006
hiii did anyone had faced the same problem

my ford is leaking oil from the oil cooler now we changed the oil cooler and we changed the gasket 3 times and its still doin the same thinggg please helpppppppppp :( :( :(:confused

Do not immediately feel that your technician did anything wrong.

I have experienced this, Hennesey experienced this, and my local Ford dealer experienced this exact same cycle.

We all replaced the seal as doing so is very easy and then she remained dry while idling and then we drove her a short distance and she was still dry so on went the belly pans and then after driving her 20-30 miles the leak was back.

The seal is an interesting design however mates to a completely flat/smooth non-etched or grooved aluminum plate and when it was cold it was perfectly flat however it was determined that during the heat cycling; this created during normal operation the materials tension changed and then once it was removed and then replaced with a new seal it was then able to distort ever so slightly once hot.

We finally replaced the assembly on one of the gals after “yes” 4 failed attempts to correct the leak.

Shadowman

H

HHGT

nope not in salmiyah surprised u knew where that is probably a place you dont knw the name of it salwa!!

I know of another GT in Salmiyah - White/Blue. I was born in Kuwait (1959) while my Dad was on assignment installing the country's first Telex lets see how many of you boys even know what that is. Years later, I went to college in SoCal with the son of the Kuwaiti Minister of Defense. If you need a great mechanic, I know of one in Abu Dhabi.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Never having done this before, I was sent a photo of the gasket and am including a shot from the manual:

OILCOOLERGASKET01a.jpg

OILCOOLERGASKET02a.jpg

Pete S.

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
joe : sure just send me an email next time ur there and ill make sure ill show up if im there cuz i fly all the time short hops flights

shadowman: i will get my car out of the dealership 2day we placed some kind of health tools tape aka the white tape tht is used for tape leaks and boiler leaks ,, we rolled it all over the gasket and placed it we went out on the car for a spin then we came bak left it idling for 30 min , shut off the engine and till 2day leaks are gone thank god !!
but i dont knw if u guys had solved this issue with another method , if soo please advise me , i actually love the car so muchhhh tht i didnt care if it was leaking i just wana keep it and admire the looks of it but yea as i said now its fixed with this tape . but if u have a solved the problem again with a proper tool let me knw plz

hhgt: there is another white blue stripes gt but he surely do not live in salmiya haha
just a small bit of info there are only 6 of this bad boys here and the dealershiip here only knw soo little about it

Aug 25, 2006
joe : sure just send me an email next time ur there and ill make sure ill show up if im there cuz i fly all the time short hops flights

shadowman: i will get my car out of the dealership 2day we placed some kind of health tools tape aka the white tape tht is used for tape leaks and boiler leaks ,, we rolled it all over the gasket and placed it we went out on the car for a spin then we came bak left it idling for 30 min , shut off the engine and till 2day leaks are gone thank god !!
but i dont knw if u guys had solved this issue with another method , if soo please advise me , i actually love the car so muchhhh tht i didnt care if it was leaking i just wana keep it and admire the looks of it but yea as i said now its fixed with this tape . but if u have a solved the problem again with a proper tool let me knw plz

hhgt: there is another white blue stripes gt but he surely do not live in salmiya haha
just a small bit of info there are only 6 of this bad boys here and the dealershiip here only knw soo little about it

Thank you for the update and your shared passion for the gals; they are very unique and have no others to be compared to; certainly there are many wonderful other gals out there and yet each IMO stand on their own merits.

I do not know the specific product that you used and yes we considered a secondary means to seal the area too however I am far to anal to step out of the box; I remain certain that we know why it happened and also remain confident that in most cases this would not be the case. The stars all aligned against us at that moment in time.

As you know the o-ring seal is robust and IMO has plenty of exposed area for compression and yet we both have experienced a less than friendly moment in time.

Thank you again for the update and all the best with your very wonderful gal

Takes care

Shadowman

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
shadowman: ofcourseeeee every each one of us has its problemsss but even iff we still love the car soo much u cant realy give it up i realy hope tht i wont face any other problemsss from her but im expecting anythin anythin from her , but its okay we will cope with it

now shadowman have wat means u did to seal the leakkkk ?? wat did u do to them just a small bit of extra info mite help just incase it leaks again !!! ill be totally honest with u i expect it to leak again but hopefully not :/