Heffner Exuast Tips Rattling

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
I have a loud rattling going on all of the sudden with my Heffner exhuast tips... Any sugestions? Thanks.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"J-B Weld" if you can find the piece that's come loose. If the rattle IS coming from the tips it shouldn't be hard to find.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a loud rattling going on all of the sudden with my Heffner exhaust tips... Any sugestions? Thanks.

I had a rattle that stopped when I put my shoe on the tips. It turned out to be the bridge connecting the two halves of the exhaust together. The weld failed. Check for signs of exhaust leaks around the bridge. IMO the bridge not strong enough to hold together due to the thermo expansion of pipes.

Ed Sims found it for me!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
"J-B Weld" if you can find the piece that's come loose. If the rattle IS coming from the tips it shouldn't be hard to find.

I doubt that JB weld would hold up to the temps that the pipes see.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I doubt that JB weld would hold up to the temps that the pipes see.

I dunno, Clinton. I used it to patch a hole in the exhaust system of a 'beater' I once owned and it seemed to work fine.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Doubt it's your tips. Prob the connecting pipe between the two main pipes as blackice said. Seen this a few times....

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
When I put my shoe on the tip, it stops. When the engine is off, and I tap either tip they make a metalic rattling noise.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
When I put my shoe on the tip, it stops. When the engine is off, and I tap either tip they make a metalic rattling noise.

Same thing happened to me. Look for black spots on the bridge welds. You will probably see hairline fracture.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Doubt it's your tips. Prob the connecting pipe between the two main pipes as blackice said. Seen this a few times....
Took off the license plate to give me a good view.. sure enough, the metal plate connecting the pipes is loose... So a weld is the only solution.

Thanks for your help guys..

Last edited:

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Took off the license plate to give me a good view.. sure enough, the metal plate connecting the pipes is loose... So a weld is the only solution.

Thanks for your help guys..

You might let the Heffner shop know about it so they can resolve the issue in the future.....I am sure he would fix it if you send it back to him...

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
I believe those pipes are mild steel that are coated by heffner. Your going to have to grind off the coating were you weld and then get them re-coated so the weld wont start to rust.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
They are polished SS, I don't know which type of SS.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For the last 2 years or more, all of the Heffner exhausts have been ceramic coated - for the simple reason that more customers preferred the coating and the cost was about a push for what Jason was spending to have the polishing done. If yours is polished - you have an early one. (Note: The dual-wall tips are always polished but the support brace is above the tips.)

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
I live in Jason's neck of the woods so when mine started to rattle I brought it back and he found the broken weld and repaired it - but now it seems that it may be rattling again. Call him - he is interested and very customer service oriented.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
I have run into the cracked brace problem on several cars with the Heffner X-Pipes. Our solution is to remove the flat strap brace, cut and hand fit a piece of 316L stainless tubing and weld it in and it solves the problem permanently. I have spoken to Heffner in the past about this issue and thought they corrected it but perhaps not.

xpipe_repair1.jpg

xpipe_repair2.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Evan great fix, it looks better than when it left Heffner's shop. IMO that is the way they should be made the 1st time. :thumbsup

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Evan great fix, it looks better than when it left Heffner's shop. IMO that is the way they should be made the 1st time. :thumbsup
Thanks Clinton!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi guys. Sorry to revive such an old thread. I've tried to contact Jason, but have not heard back yet. So in the interim, a couple of questions if you don't mind:

I've got the ceramic coated Heffner pipes. Seems that via the thermal expansion, I've managed to get THREE cracks in the pipe (all in the welds). It rattles embarrassingly loudly. Anyway, one crack is in the weld brace between the pipes, the other two are on the weld brace on the back connector pipe. See pics.

How do I remove the ceramic coating before re-welding? Do I need to take it ALL off? If I do, should I get it re-ceramic coated? Do I take the tips off before coating? Ugh, I'm not really pleased about this, but despite that, I do still love the Heffner pipes, although eg1985's solution seems like a way I might direct the welder. It's just I'm worried since there's THREE cracks and not just the 'traditional' single one.

Attachments

• Heffner pipe cracked at center brace.jpg
    Heffner pipe cracked at center brace.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Heffner pipe cracked at rear support brace LEFT.jpg
    Heffner pipe cracked at rear support brace LEFT.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Heffner pipe cracked at rear support brace RIGHT.jpg
    Heffner pipe cracked at rear support brace RIGHT.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Heffner has a revised exhaust system that has corrected the problem. We have installed several now. They are very nice and has corrected the issue

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Just spoke to the guys at Heffner's Performance. It's an understatement to say these guys are a top notch first class operation. I cannot say enough good things about guys that are completely willing to stand behind their products!