AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My wife once...she did not like it.
My brother once..he liked it.
No one else & never plan to allow anyone to drive it...just too risky.
(read the story of Ray Hoffman's car, or look at some of our forum members who have 'lost' their own cars...while driving themselves.)
andy (AJB)

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
This thread is a bit eerie as it was started before the recent incident of a Forum member, with a lot of GT experience, having an "off". It really makes me think about how safe it is to let those without any GT seat time to take the wheel.

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
This thread is a bit eerie as it was started before the recent incident of a Forum member, with a lot of GT experience, having an "off". It really makes me think about how safe it is to let those without any GT seat time to take the wheel.

I think there is a big difference between letting someone drive normally with you as a passenger and the incident that occurred. Personally I don't find the GT to be a difficult car under normal conditions. Now I am not turning my car over to someone at a track or for an all out mile run, but with me as a passenger and with a briefing on what to do before we start no problems.

CBReFLeX

Jul 3, 2007
Port Charlott FL
I know us non GT owners really should not post...but I had to share. I used to work for Ford as a service adviser for over 12 years. I have had allot of GT owners over the years, and pretty much all of them where great.I had never driven a GT nor have I asked to....but the biggest surprise came on my last day at Ford, when one of my GT customers drove over an hour to come see me...when he got there he tossed me the keys and said lets go for a ride as a going away present on your last day...I was soo nervous it was almost hard to enjoy...but I managed to have a blast...even though I never even came close to stabbing the happy pedal. What a day!!!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I have let several people drive my car with me as a passenger. My wife even learned to drive a stick with it...yes, that's right! She found it much easier to drive than the C6 corvette I had previously. All of them drove the car extremely conservative...there was little threat of an accident...of course, another car/driver could make a mistake but that's life! Anything can happen.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
but I managed to have a blast...even though I never even came close to stabbing the happy pedal. What a day!!!

Very cool!

CBReFLeX

Jul 3, 2007
Port Charlott FL
I think I was more scared of all the other drivers trying to get close to take a look at it. Not sure how all of you put up with it.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I think I was more scared of all the other drivers trying to get close to take a look at it. Not sure how all of you put up with it.

Yeah, you never know how others are going to react. Better to keep an eye on them in the rear and side view mirrors till they get really small.

CBReFLeX

Jul 3, 2007
Port Charlott FL
Well about 3 more years of school, then taking over the parents companies...then I hope to be financially ready to have one myself. ..If there is any to be had :)

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
My brother in law drove my Tungsten for a weekend . I let my old business partner drive my GTX1(once).

The guy who takes care of my cars drove them both regularly.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
if ones asks me whether they can drive my car I simply reply " My car is my wife, would you let me drive your wife". Normally that stops the request.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
The very thought sends CHILLS up and down my spine and makes my hands sweat.

During the holidays and/or other family get togethers my Brother In Law is always bugging me about letting him take her for a spin. I proclaim, sorry I have very complex and special insurance and one stipulation is I can be the only driver.

I had a nightmare one time that I let him drive and he wrapped it around the telephone pole on the corner. When I woke, I almost had to go the shop and take a look, freaky.

Stef

H

HHGT

The very thought sends CHILLS up and down my spine and makes my hands sweat.

During the holidays and/or other family get togethers my Brother In Law is always bugging me about letting him take her for a spin. I proclaim, sorry I have very complex and special insurance and one stipulation is I can be the only driver.

I had a nightmare one time that I let him drive and he wrapped it around the telephone pole on the corner. When I woke, I almost had to go the shop and take a look, freaky.

Stef

I don't even want to be anywhere around my in-laws let alone let them drive my Golf Cart