Has anyone ever rebuilt their motor and converted to a normally aspirated setup?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Has anyone ever rebuilt their motor (removed blower) and converted to a normally aspirated setup on a modern Ford GT? i.e raised the compression to to 11:1 compression, converted to stacked injection, raised the redline, etc...

Found this post here related to it where Kuttner was going to do over 900HP normally aspirated with an 8 trumpet fuel injection system: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7843&highlight=aspirated&page=3

I am kicking around the idea of buying another FGT motor, rebuilding it and switching it out to a normally aspirated race motor.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Gulf...interesting question.

A couple years ago I saw a Ford 5.4 naturally aspirated engine with carbon fiber EFI trumpets at SEMA. It was gorgeous!!!

I took pictures, but unfortunately have misplaced them. I have gone to their website and noticed something interesting that only appears the first time you click on their engines tab. A shadow view comes up of the 5.4 engine with 'prototype' embossed across the picture. You just can't get the image back the again...on the same computer (it must drop a cookie preventing the view).

Nonetheless....it is really intriquing. I just can't bring myself to lose the HP to get the look. But it's hot!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Has anyone ever rebuilt their motor (removed blower) and converted to a normally aspirated setup on a modern Ford GT? i.e raised the compression to to 11:1 compression, converted to stacked injection, raised the redline, etc...

Found this post here related to it where Kuttner was going to do over 900HP normally aspirated with an 8 trumpet fuel injection system: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7843&highlight=aspirated&page=3

I am kicking around the idea of buying another FGT motor, rebuilding it and switching it out to a normally aspirated race motor.

Will the injection stacks clear the clamshell glass?

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
He doesn't actually say the engine will produce 900bhp though. I suspect the injectors and trumpets can flow enough air and fuel for 900bhp but whether the engine can actually do that is another matter. It depends how you interpret his post I guess....

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California

Yes.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
He doesn't actually say the engine will produce 900bhp though. I suspect the injectors and trumpets can flow enough air and fuel for 900bhp but whether the engine can actually do that is another matter. It depends how you interpret his post I guess....

We figure 650-700HP max on pump gas.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Gulf...interesting question.

A couple years ago I saw a Ford 5.4 naturally aspirated engine with carbon fiber EFI trumpets at SEMA. It was gorgeous!!!

I took pictures, but unfortunately have misplaced them. I have gone to their website and noticed something interesting that only appears the first time you click on their engines tab. A shadow view comes up of the 5.4 engine with 'prototype' embossed across the picture. You just can't get the image back the again...on the same computer (it must drop a cookie preventing the view).

Nonetheless....it is really intriquing. I just can't bring myself to lose the HP to get the look. But it's hot!!

Just thinking about the look and the different feel to the driving. How about 8 orange trumpets to look at through the glass? Also brings the car back closer to its roots. Could even add the “bundle of snakes” exhaust going over the back of the engine area as the current air box will not be needed. I just think it would be cool to have a modern FGT with that nostalgic racy look. Not to mention a much higher revving engine, different power band, and exhaust note. We catch a lot of flack from “other car guys” about having to make our HP with supercharger and not normally aspirated like the original and most all racing regulations. I see no reason why our car can’t beat them at their own game, and at the same time create something really like the old Ford GT using modern components.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I don't even know if this is possible with the GT engine, but I was reading on another site about a guy who took a GM Northstar engine and swapped the cylinder heads side for side so that the intake ports were on the outside of the block and the exhausts were in the "V". That would really look cool with the headers coming out from the top and a set of injector tubes at the sides of the engine.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Just thinking about the look and the different feel to the driving. How about 8 orange trumpets to look at through the glass? Also brings the car back closer to its roots. Could even add the “bundle of snakes” exhaust going over the back of the engine area as the current air box will not be needed. I just think it would be cool to have a modern FGT with that nostalgic racy look. Not to mention a much higher revving engine, different power band, and exhaust note. We catch a lot of flack from “other car guys” about having to make our HP with supercharger and not normally aspirated like the original and most all racing regulations. I see no reason why our car can’t beat them at their own game, and at the same time create something really like the old Ford GT using modern components.

I much prefer the looks of velocity stacks. You're idea sounds schweeet! I would love to be looking at velocity stacks throughthe back window.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't even know if this is possible with the GT engine, but I was reading on another site about a guy who took a GM Northstar engine and swapped the cylinder heads side for side so that the intake ports were on the outside of the block and the exhausts were in the "V". That would really look cool with the headers coming out from the top and a set of injector tubes at the sides of the engine.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Richard, that's sounds cool too. Didn't Renault do something like that for F1?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Mr. Pockets, the velocity stacks I saw on the Roush engine had a lower rise than the supercharger.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

I much prefer the looks of velocity stacks. You're idea sounds schweeet! I would love to be looking at velocity stacks throughthe back window.

+ 1

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand

Richard Hille
The GT School

did'nt ford do this with an indy engine,I think it was called the coyote.looked like a cosworth.
Neil
NZ05GT

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
like this one A J FOYT used

Attachments

• quadcam3.jpg
    quadcam3.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 240

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I am pretty sure that I could make something like this work.

I know a guy who converted a Nissan Titan motor (with drive by wire throttle control) to an individual throttle body setup. I have no idea what it would cost but I'm pretty positive we could make this work.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Stay with boost! Much more power available and it is orginal. Get a Viper for that. I say don't do it. It is your car so do what you want........thats my 1 cent

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Isn't the Matech engine naturally aspirated (although a different block as I recall)

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
no blower mod by Huffaker

Ralphie - there is a race car shop, Huffaker Engineering, based out of Sear Point Raceway that has done the conversion. They specialize (their "design focus" is) in the Ford GT & Mustang according to their website. I spoke with them at one of the events at the track. The conversion to no blower is done to meet some race organizations requirements.

http://www.huffakerengineering.com

Ed

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 168
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 168

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder how much weight you could lose by replacing the supercharger and removing the associated cooling systems.

Would you be able to keep your gal running cooler as well?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
weight with no supercharger

Shadowman?