Happy Father's Day!!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
We have a lot of great dads on the Forum. I always enjoy the feeling of pride and love that comes through in many of the stories and pictures you have shared with all of us about your kids over the years. Here is a toast to all of you dads! :cheers I wish you a wonderful Father's Day and great weekend!!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Thanks MJ!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Thankks Mary Jo. It has been a very nice father's day.

See you in SLC

Jeff

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Thanks Mary Jo. P and I have had a geat roadtrip. Ran the dragon in an F150 ecoboost! Next time the GT! Hope you are well. KO

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
A Father's Day Journey

Thanks MJ - You're a sweetheart - :thumbsup

As both my children were busy with their own families - and thus had their own Father's Day activities, I made my own plans for the day. I knew that they had finally opened Tioga Road over the Sierras into Yosemite National Park last week, so I decided to take a drive over to the Valley Floor - it's about 105 miles from my house to Yosemite Village. We had a record snowfall in the Sierras this year, so I knew that the waterfalls in the Valley would be spectacular with so much snow still in the high country.

It was a beautiful, clear morning, so I left about 7 am in the GT and drove to the top of the pass, where the entrance station is located. Seeing some friendly familiar faces in the entrance shack (who gave me a little static - just like the guys on the forum), I entered the Park, meandering through the snowbanked sides of the highway. It seemed like a perfect day to do a mini photoshoot of the GT, so I stopped frequently to evaluate the shooting opportunities in my favorite background area.

I finally got down to the Valley about 11 am, and drove to Curry Village, stopping and parking the GT in the lot. I went to the cafeteria there, and had a croissant and a cup of coffee for breakfast on the sundeck, the temperature somewhere between 75 and 80° F. I called my kids from the sundeck, wishing them a "Happy Father's Day" and then drove down the road next to the Merced River which was closed to rafting, as it looked like the Kern River (for those who have heard stories about the dangerous Kern!). A lot of the valley looked like a swamp and the river was up to the edges of its banks. The falls (Yosemite, Bridalveil, Ribbon, Cascades, etc) were absolutely stunning - I've seen them full before, but never fuller than today).

I drove west along the Merced R. all the way to the entrance station at El Portal, then turned around, made my way back to Big Oak Road, rose out of the Valley and headed east on the Tioga Road. Once over the pass and down the eastern escarpment to US 395, and had a lunch at "Whoa Nellie's Deli", then headed south, arriving home about 3 pm. (Nothing like a "RED" GT for great contrast!!)

Wish you had been with me - :thumbsup

Here are some photos of my journey - - -

Picture 1 - A full Tuolumne River - by the campgrounds at the east end of Tuolumne Meadows

Picture 2 - Water cascading onto the highway

Picture 3 - Tenaya Lake, still frozen over most of it's surface

Picture 4 - A marmot, at Ohmsted Point

Picture 5 - A wet road, sometimes a little icy in the shade of the early morning

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
More Photos

More Pictures - - -

Picture 1 - South Fork of the Tuolumne River (I've never seen it so full - at the middle to end of summer, it is so small a trickle that it's hidden in the rocks)

Picture 2 - Merced River from Big Oak Road showing the flooding of the Valley; Bridalveil Fall in the background

Picture 3 - Ribbon Fall - I've never seen it so full

Picture 4 - Yosemite Falls, huge spray at the bottom of the Upper Falls

Picture 5 - Yosemite Falls, Upper and Lower

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
More Pictures

More Pictures - - -

Picture 1 - Ford GT admirers at Curry Village parking

Picture 2 - Bridalveil Falls, with a full Merced River

Picture 3 - Just east of the Yosemite River on the Tioga Road, this place used to be tagged as the "Quaking Aspen Exhibit" but they no longer give it a road sign (this is true of a lot of places for those who have been going to the Park for a long time)

Picture 4 - Snowbanks along the highway

Picture 5 - "Clouds Rest," from the Tioga Road

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
More Pictures

More Pictures - - -

Like I say, MJ - Wish you had been with me - you'd have loved it!! Thanks again :thumbsup

My 3000th post - Yippee!

Picture 1 - Tenaya Lake, looking east from Ohmsted Point

Picture 2 - Small lake at about 9,800 ft., near the top of Tioga Pass

Picture 3 - Dana Meadow Lookout - today, it's just a snowbank!

Picture 4 - Ellery Lake outflow - east side of Tioga Pass, flowing down to Mono Lake near Lee Vining

Last edited:

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
MJ... Thanks :)
Ralphie, GREAT PICS :)
Happy Fathers day to everyone as well....

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Happy Father's Day everyone!

I was treated to a delicious home cooked dinner after seeing Kung Fu Panda 2!

My boys made the menu and helped with prep.

IMG_2074copy.jpg

IMG_2081copy.jpg

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ralphie wonderful drive and photos, have a happy father's day.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
C4

Thanks MJ!! Here's a picture of Charley and me right after his graduation earlier this month.

Chip

C4 Graduation.jpg

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Hey thanks MJ!
Ralphie, great summary and photos of your day...I guess you could say the GT is your son, or daughter?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Great shots, Ralphie--but I must admit I get queasy when I see that "Icy" warning sign.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ralphie, Great pictures of your beautiful country outing on Fathers Day. MJ thanks for your very nice comments on Fathers Day. With no rain and over 100 here in Texas I wish I were there. Tomy

FordGT4fun

Wonderful pictures Ralphie, thanks for sharing, you are the best photo reporter on this forum, especially for landscapes. It´s always great admiring and reading your reportage.
regards
Pierre

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Talk about a scenic drive!! :eek Great photos!!! :thumbsup (I am surprised there is still that much snow at the end of June. Is that normal?)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
By mid morning I eventually persuaded my 13 year old daughter to mumble "Hap.. [sigh, grunt] (unintelligible) fathe...s (unintelligible) day". The pleasures of teenage girls. Soooooo communicative.