Halfshafts broke in France second time

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
Sadly ventured to France from the UK last weekend. Got Roush to fit the new bolts a few months ago. Didn't trust the car after they broke going to Le Mans three years ago.
The new bolts have broke. Unbelievable. Left the car on a country lane and got a flight back. Thought Ford had rectified the problem.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
did the bolts break or the halfshaft(s)? 2 different things

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
Sorry the bolts

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
to my knowledge here has not been an incident where the half shafts bolts were broken after initial replacement!

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Accufab bolts seem to work pretty well...just another option other than the Ford bolts.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Larry,

Either this will be the first known case of the updated bolts breaking - or, perhaps Roush mistakenly used the bad bolts. Long story short, Ford initially thought it was a washer problem and the first update they sent out to dealers was new, hardened washers but the same bolts from the large "bad" batch that they built the cars with. Roush may have inadvertently sourced the wrong bolts thinking that they were putting in the right kit.

It would be very interesting for all of us here if you could simply tell us or post a picture of the broken bolt(s).

Allen Head Bolt = Bad bolt from initial batch of bolts
Hex Head Bolt = Newer replacement bolt from Ford
12-pt ARP Bolt = Accufab Kit bolt

Sorry this happened to you (again). I hope you get your car back soon The repair is very straightforward.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Roush may have inadvertently sourced the wrong bolts thinking that they were putting in the right kit.

+1

I'd install the Accufabs this time if ONLY because the outer bolts aren't "torque to yield" and can be used again.

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
Thanks guys

Car has now been collected and is in a garage in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne
We have a home there so i feel a lot better now it is safe. I will try and get a photo and post it. If not will have to wait for Roush to give their prognosis. So annoying.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Thanks guys

Car has now been collected and is in a garage in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne
We have a home there so i feel a lot better now it is safe. I will try and get a photo and post it. If not will have to wait for Roush to give their prognosis. So annoying.

whose bolts were you using when they broke the second time? fords or somebody elses?

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
I assume they were Ford or at least that's what i was told by (Roush aka revolve)

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Mine broke twice as well (see post from a couple of years back. Second replacement has gone over 10K miles now with no problem. Both replacements were done by Ford under warranty but what a hassle. :frown:ack

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
Shame because its such a great car. Sadly this will be the last time i travel long distance. Will use it for the McDonald's run in future. Deflated GT owner

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Shame because its such a great car. Sadly this will be the last time i travel long distance. Will use it for the McDonald's run in future. Deflated GT owner

Install Accufabs, or THE PROPER Ford replacement kit, and you'll never have another problem.

As was stated B4, there has N-E-V-E-R been a reported case of the Accufabs failing. And there are MANY GT's running around with the Accufabs installed that have been driven many thousands of miles after that install. :cheers

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
Is this a problem that affected all Gt's??
My car is a late 2006 production car, just 1700 miles. i have also recently been told of a suspension arm upgrade that should be done?
Steve

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The bolts should be changed on all GTs. The A-Arm recall only affected early '05 cars.