Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
*Hey my bad. I got your username confused with someone else!* :lol

Sorry about flying off the handle. I thought you were someone who I had just deleted a post from because they doubled up on usernames to start shit from their dealership...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
WOW! I understand your the boss but that reply seemed a bit harsh to someone making his first post.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
half shaft bolts and washers

Greetings,
John just faxed me the broadcast on the half shaft bolts. Every Ford dealer is now aware of the problem and the standard fix is being recommended. My
scanner is broken. If somebody wants to scan it and post it ask John or me to fax it over. No new news in the broadcast.
Cheers,
daniel

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I can scan it and post if you like. My fax is (716) 662-8985.

Derry

M

Mark O

I can scan it and post if you like. My fax is (716) 662-8985.

Derry

It's been over a half an hour, what's taking so long to post it? :biggrin

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Sorry, got pulled into a meeting. Here it is.

Derry

Attachments

• BROADCAST MESSAGES.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 192

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sorry, got pulled into a meeting. Here it is.

Derry

Soooooo, basically what they're STILL saying is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
They still want us 2B "dead in the water" at the side of the road FIRST.
That's ain't "too awful so pretty good" IMHO ...

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
They are still only fixing after we become stranded!!, I am beginning to wonder if this is a temporary fix. As posted elsewhere the problem may not be so easy to fix. Has anyone had the problem reoccur after simply changing the bolts and washers?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't want to be mean to Ford - but 'The Pace Car For an Entire Company' was a much-used phrase, and rightly so.

There is clearly an issue with these bolts - it would not be unreasonable for Ford to offer a free fix, would it? The Roush guy in the UK fixed one car in 30 minutes on the roadside (en route to Le Mans his bolts failed). So it's not exactly a gearbox swap....

As I say, I don't want to knock Ford, that's not my style, but I'm a bit mystified about why they're dragging their heels over this one.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Basically this is a re-hash of old info. Not the thread but the broadcast. Therefore I'm merging this with the massive tech thread.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm a bit mystified about why they're dragging their heels over this one.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Today I had just priced the replacement parts in the bulletin (I was stocking up on other parts - got oil filters, front chin spoiler, and the sill plates).

The six bolts for the half-shaft are cheap, like $1.60 each list.

However, unless my guy was telling me wrong, the repair kit (two bolts and the washer) was something like $120.00 per side. Ouch. :eek

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Soooooo, basically what they're STILL saying is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
They still want us 2B "dead in the water" at the side of the road FIRST.
That's ain't "too awful so pretty good" IMHO ...

That's how I read it as well. Kinda sad.:frown

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Azgt

The kit for the 2 washers and 4 bolts "4G7Z-7B368-BA" is $95.23 LIST; and the 12 bolts for the half shafts "4G7Z-4529-AA" are $.77 each LIST!!

AMB

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The kit for the 2 washers and 4 bolts "4G7Z-7B368-BA" is $95.23 LIST; and the 12 bolts for the half shafts "4G7Z-4529-AA" are $.77 each LIST!!
AMB

'Sure makes yuh wonder, duzzunit.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I scanned the document from a fax copy and filtered it through OCR. Careful with the part numbers (but I think they're right).

Thanks for posting. Ford makes a comment not to change the bolts unless broken. Do you think Ford is trying to discourage the dealers from changing the bolts under the leak TSB?

Thanks for posting. Ford makes a comment not to change the bolts unless broken. Do you think Ford is trying to discourage the dealers from changing the bolts under the leak TSB?

YUP!
They've pbly 'been aware of that trick for sometime...
'Pretty clear who's interests are "#1" back at H.Q.

YUP!
They've pbly 'been aware of that trick for sometime...
'Pretty clear who's interests are "#1" back at H.Q.

Another possible reason may be that Ford knows that there is a design problem and changing the bolts as a precaution doesn't gain anything, they're just as likely to fail. I suspect they are trying to find a "root" cause and solution before making any announcements. As a mechanical engineer, I have been following this closely and believe that it will be a tough problem to solve without changing out the transmission.:ack The one large bolt is clearly a better solution (no shear and larger cross sectional area for axial loads), but there must have been some reason it wasn't employed.

Craig

Another possible reason may be that Ford knows that there is a design problem and changing the bolts as a precaution doesn't gain anything, they're just as likely to fail. I suspect they are trying to find a "root" cause and solution before making any announcements. As a mechanical engineer, I have been following this closely and believe that it will be a tough problem to solve without changing out the transmission.:ack The one large bolt is clearly a better solution (no shear and larger cross sectional area for axial loads), but there must have been some reason it wasn't employed.

Craig

Sadly, Craig I think you are right. I believe the current design doesn't have the necessary safety margin and failures due to fatigue will continue. In the absents of a real fix, the best we can do is be pro-active and treat these bolts as a maintainance item to be replace on periodically just as with things like timing belts, spark plugs, etc. The question is what is the interval? From the looks of my bolts and washer from a GT less than 1000 easy miles, they were on the way to a failure. The both washers were bent into a concaved shape and both washers had metal displaced from the bolts heads. Clearly indicating either the bolts were over torqued, the washers were too soft, or the loads are higher than a proper design could safely withstand.

The best fix would cost a lot of money and in my opinion with not be voluntarily coming from Ford.

I am not sure I understand the technical reason this would be so difficult to fix. Does "wiring" the bolt provide reasonable protection?

Craig

Very possible as well, to be sure.

It'd just be "nice" if, in the meantime, Ford would just send us all a letter telling us that they ARE in fact trying to discover the root cause of the pblm, and they'll take care of it as soon as they have it figured out. (Ya. I know. 'Admitting liability & all that.) At least we'd all know somebody is officially working on a solution. As it stands now, "Area 51" is less of a mystery.

Until Ford ( or Jay!), or whomever, comes up with a "cure", our ONLY option when a failure occures remains the replacement of the existing bolts with NEW "existing" bolts whether that's a useless exercise or not. The cars won't run w/o 'em & the cars will not be parked while awaiting a permanent "cure".

After reading all the "back 'n' forth" on this thread for weeks now, I've decided to just leave mine "as is" and DRIVE it (whenever the stinkin' snow around here leaves, that is). And, if it PUKES - IT PUKES. Screw it. I'm tired of thinking about it!

Such is life moving west on a south bound stagecoach...

Attachments

• BROADCAST MESSAGE.doc
    25 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.

AMB

That does make me wonder. My receipt shows the bolts at $1.56 each. Makes me wonder about the other parts

5G7Z-17626-AAA chin spoiler "list" at $178.52
5G7Z-6313208-BAA and CAA Door Sills "list" at $64.70.

This may sound stupid, but I though list at Ford was list at Ford. Why different prices for list?

I was also under the impression that 4G7Z-7B368-BA was only for one side - that's what the picture indicated with that number.

Confused :confused

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Azgt

The "OLD" number "4G7Z-7B368-AA" was for 2 bolts and 1 washer!! The "NEW" number "4G7Z-7B368-BA" is for 4 bolts and 2 washers!!!

AMB

Last edited:

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
What the heck? The broadcast specifically tells the dealers NOT to fix cars that do not exhibit any broken retaining bolts...!!! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

As Stormcat posted:

<<We all now wonder if we're driving a time bomb waiting for the car to break down>>. Ford should be telling the dealers that they should be actively and cheerfully fixing our cars pre-emptively!

AMB- did you mean for the last numerical digit in the part number above to be a "6", or was this just a typo?

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
What the heck? The broadcast specifically tells the dealers NOT to fix cars that do not exhibit any broken retaining bolts...!!! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

As Stormcat posted:

<<We all now wonder if we're driving a time bomb waiting for the car to break down>>. Ford should be telling the dealers that they should be actively and cheerfully fixing our cars pre-emptively!

AMB- did you mean for the last numerical digit in the part number above to be a "6", or was this just a typo?

John, Call Silva or Farhney and ask them to do the fix, but make damn sure they safety wire those bolts. Or if you know Evan I would contact him, he should be able to do if for $350. What is that 1/2 hr on our couch?:lol :biggrin :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.