GT500 Engine Similarities to FGT

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Twobjshelbys originally posted the below question to Scott in the thread
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/30419-FGT-Weather-Sensitivity/page2

Hi Scott

I asked a similar question in the tire topic too. Over there it was about how the great amount of work on the Goodyears influenced the decision to use the same tire on the GT500

Here the question is similar. How much info sharing was done between the two teams on superchargers? The FGT used a different one, but underneath the engines were quite similar (yeah, I know, but at least for displacement and probably similar heat generation). Were design considerations on the FGT then leverged into the GT500?

Thanks!
Hi Tony,

Leveraging the FGT work, especially powertrain was SVT's intent, but I do not have first hand knowledge of the level of transfer to the GT500. I was not involved on the project and did not keep tabs on it. Mark McGowan may know.

Scott
Glad its a help. 10-4 on water injection. I am sorry, I don't have the detail intake temp data for you.

Scott

With an appreciative nod of recognition to our esteemed Team Member mostly associated with our GT’s suspension, Scott says he does not have first hand knowledge on the engine development topic to adequately answer the specific FGT/GT500 engine architecture program carryovers. Although I was not on the Team, my interests lie in this arena and I have over the past 10 years talked to a number of Ford engine development members and will try my best to address some of twobjshelbys questions regarding parallels between the two engine programs.

There was a fair amount of technology transfer between the supercharged 5.4L engine in the MY2007 GT500 and the FGT. Many of the same engineers worked on both programs. Obviously the overall engine architecture (supercharged 5.4L displacement) is common, including the intake charging with an integral water to air intercooler. The engine blocks are significantly different as are the block materials (initial GT500 was cast iron, FGT cast aluminum). Engine development of the GT500 engine actually started before the FGT program was finished. For those with a deeper technical interest, our FGT owners are indeed lucky that Ford allowed the engine designers the time and effort to chronicle the FGT engine design (to the best of corporate disclosure limits) in Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) technical paper 2004-01-1252.

Some of the more noticeable differences between the two 5.4L engines are:

• Dry sump engine lubrication system with an external oil pump (FGT) vs typical wet sump oil pan on the GT500.

• The cam drivetrain was redesigned on the GT500 engine to reduce engine width for packaging requirements on the narrower Mustang engine bay.

• Forged steel Mahle connecting rods along with Mahle pistons were used on the GT500 while the FGT got Manley billet machined rods with Mahle pistons. If you have ever seen one of the connecting rods in our FGT engine, they really are a work of art. Believe we owners owe gratitude to Mr. Coletti for being a staunch supporter of a bullet proof engine design in our cars when a significantly lower priced rod option was proposed, could have been used and was ultimately rejected. Both engine programs utilized a relatively new purchasing logic of procuring an entire piston assembly (piston, connecting rod, wrist pin and circlips) from a vendor which was supplied to the Romeo engine niche line for assembly. This new process reduced complexity, improved quality/integrity and reduced system cost. Also the forged Mahle GT500 rods used a “fracture cap”design to center and align the removable connecting rod cap for assembly onto the crankshaft pin. The FGT Manley rod caps were fully machined to tolerances much tighter than those obtainable with a fracture cap design.

FGT piston assembly3a.jpg

FGT Piston/Rod Assembly, Note structurally superior rod design, shot peened surface for enhanced fatigue life and dished low compression piston for supercharged intake charge.

GT500 piston assembly1a.jpg

GT500 Piston/Rod Assembly.

• A “Roots” type supercharger was used on the GT500 engine while a “Lysholm” screw compressor was used for the Ford GT engine. Both compressor designs are twin rotor, positive displacement air pumps, but the Lysholm design utilizes a screw rotor design with tighter internal clearances which has been shown to be more efficient in terms of obtained boost pressure per unit of input horsepower and also lower compressor exit temperatures (less engine thermal load) than a similar Roots multi-lobe rotor design.

• Cooling water enters the side of the GT500 engine block which was a carryover from the production 5.4L engine design architecture. On the FGT 5.4L engine, cooling water enters the front of the block and uses a reverse direction water pump for increased coolant flow.

• A single fuel injector per cylinder was used on the GT500 whereas the FGT engine has two dedicated fuel injectors per cylinder.

• Cylinder block oil return runs terminate above the oil pan joint face on the GT500 engine. The same oil return runs on the FGT engine mate to return passages in the oil pan for near zero “windage” (crankshaft spinning thru the returned oil).

• The FGT engine has a structural windage tray for added block rigidity.

• The production GT500 engine used a cast iron cylinder block until 2011 which differs from the aluminum block used on the FGT engine. After 2011 the GT500 block changed to aluminum with a metallic sprayed bore material for the rings to contact. The FGT aluminum block utilizes steel sleeves for each piston to travel within. This new GT500 block shared the same basic design feature of the preceding cast iron design block.

• Because of the availability of high pressure front vehicle cooling air as the car was driven, the GT500 crankshaft harmonic damper was a less costly elastomeric damper. The FGT 5.4L powerplant due in part to its buried mid-engine location and thus higher operating temperatures used a more expensive, multi tuned viscous harmonic damper.

• And finally the GT500 engine block had open bulkhead windows while closed bulkhead windows were used on the FGT engine for added stiffness.

As to the temperature drop across the supercharger intercooler, I would estimate it to be in the 100-130°F range.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Good stuff Bill!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Nicely Done!! ;- ))

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Awesome info! Thanks.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
+ 1

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Great stuff. Do you what rod bolts were used .? ARP? And is the valve train different?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks Bill good info.
War Eagle!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Bill,

Thank you for another great post that adds much to the knowledge base.

I get asked this question from time to time. Yesterday, while talking about parts scarcity and expense, one guy told me I could "just drop a GT500 5.4 in it." lol.

I'm going to make a PowerPoint slide that lays out the differences you cite in side by side bullet layout.

Here are a few more data points:

The GT uses a mechanical throttle linkage to operate twin seventy-millimeter throttles. The GT500 uses drive-by-wire technology and twin sixty-five-millimeter throttles.

The GT twin fuel injectors are rated at 32 pounds per hour each. The GT500 single fuel injector is rated at 47 pounds per hour.

The GT valve lift is 11.2 mm intake and 11.5 mm exhaust. The GT500 valve lift is 10.1 mm intake and 10.9 mm exhaust.

The GT supercharger boost is about 12 psi max. The GT500 supercharger boost is about 9 psi max. (Surprising to me that rated hp difference is only 50. The difference in boost alone should give more than 50 hp).

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Thanks Bill. I'm often asked at car shows if the pickup, GT500 and FGT engines are the same engine since they are all 5.4Ls and have told them about the differences in the block, connecting rods, pistons, oiling, etc. I also got my info from the engine builders. Now I have it in writing. Great write-up.

Xcentric, When you finish the PowerPoint presentation, could you send me a copy?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Also I wish I had more detail beyond my memory, but didn't the ~2011+ GT500, finally use a head that was very close to the GT heads?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Also I wish I had more detail beyond my memory, but didn't the ~2011+ GT500, finally use a head that was very close to the GT heads?

Cylinder heads and crankshaft are the same, according to this article: http://web.archive.org/web/20080222195547/http://www.windingroad.com/features-page/ford-engines/

EDIT: The SAE technical paper 2004-01-1252 states that cylinder head castings were slightly different to allow more coolant flow around the exhaust valves.

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Wow Bill you may not have been on the design team but your write up is superb. Your recollection is staggering.

Vince H

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I'll have to carry this link with me when I go to car shows. Just love the guy that asks "what size engine is that?" when you tell them it's a 5.4 many times I have gotten the response "oh, that's the same engine that's in my F150 since they are both 5.4s" I just have to walk away silently which isn't easy for me to do! great illustration and explanation. too bad Ford didn't keep the Manleys in the early pre-production Shelby engines. I had a few of those and those Manleys are a piece of art! they should have used Manleys in the 2013-14 5.8 engines in the Shelbys.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Wow Bill you may not have been on the design team but your write up is superb. Your recollection is staggering.

Vince H

Thanks Vince, but honestly I take a number of notes and document these factoids as I receive them. Just takes a while to gather up all the notes and assemble them in one cohesive post for the benefit of our FGT owners. I have talked to a number of very talented Ford engineers as well as non-Ford technical personnel which all were/are very knowledgeable about the FGT Program. My thanks goes out to them, that they allowed technical discussions to this level of detail.

Andy, I will check on this.....

Thanks Gary for supplementing this post with your information. Very interesting as well and glad you chimed in with this information!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
PowerPoint slide saved as a jpeg for display here. Appreciate any constructive comments.

Obviously, a bit esoteric for the layman, but something to keep in reserve for the know-it-alls and the Top Gear fan boys.

GT vs gt500 engine.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Bill -

Excellent!

Ralphie

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Regarding the SAE paper that Bill referenced, there's a book compiling all of the SAE papers on the GT: 7 from the 60's plus 11 from the next gen development. Should be good reading for the techno types. (link: http://books.sae.org/pt-113/)

SAE FGT book.jpg

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Why does one say billit rids and the other say forged h beam? Are the shelbys I beam and Gt H Beam? And again does any know what rod bolts are used? And how much boost and hp can these stock. Motors handle?

Sorry for so many questions

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Regarding the SAE paper that Bill referenced, there's a book compiling all of the SAE papers on the GT: 7 from the 60's plus 11 from the next gen development. Should be good reading for the techno types. (link: http://books.sae.org/pt-113/)

View attachment 37758

One of the first books I bought after getting my GT. An invaluable resource.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Have read that book cover to cover. A MUST have, for those that would follow this thread....