Bloomfield Hills MI
Cortex monoball lower control arm bearings

GT4 reproduction CF front splitter.

Fire suppression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I like the location for a road race car. Less likely to accidentally set it off. We will probably mount ours in the same spot. Last time I was on fire I was still about 180, so getting out really wasn't an option. Breathing is still a necessity though. I did my deep breathe while making sure the chutes were clean and I had a straight line. Its neat in drag racing how the faster you go, the more your mind can slow down time, if you have mentally prepared. Nothing compared to some on this forum, like the great Eddie Hill, but for a hobby guy, something you remember.
The medical term for the mind slowing down perceived dangerous situations is "tachypsychia".
The brain actually increases processing rates that in effect puts things in "slow motion".
Well known to happen in gunfights as well!
Pretty cool.
Best,
Mark

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It does have a VIN but no air bags, no Cats, loud exhaust, cage, no door glass, polycarbonate windshield and rear. Even if I could drive it on the street I would not want to. Very dangerous.

Installed Ford Performance front anti roll bar, lowering springs, Maximum Motorsports camber plates.
I just went back and looked again, and wow, this is a very radical makeover. With the virtual "gutting" of the car, why start with the more expensive GT350 instead of a regular Mustang? Or even a body-in-white? What was special about the GT350 that couldn't be obtained with a less expensive starting point?

Just curious!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
It came out great. Hope it drives as well as it looks. You must be psyched to finally get it on the track.

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
Congrats Fred! That looks like it will be a blast on the race track. Dean is one of the best!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
You really transformed that car. Nice job. You should be proud of how it turned out.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Pure Awesomeness!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I just went back and looked again, and wow, this is a very radical makeover. With the virtual "gutting" of the car, why start with the more expensive GT350 instead of a regular Mustang? Or even a body-in-white? What was special about the GT350 that couldn't be obtained with a less expensive starting point?

Just curious!
The engine, magnetic shocks, programming and such.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Congrats on a very nice result - Thank you for letting us follow the build closely ....

:cheers
Anders

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
The body in white from what I know is a regular GT 5.0 body. I wanted a GT 350 front end. I bought a used car and got a pretty good deal. Plus the engine in this car has had extensive work. The economics was better with this car. KohR was asking way over $100,000 for a similar build.

Completed the install of the FRPP Aluminum cradle and diff bushings. Now I can put the IRS back on the car. I also installed GT 4 studs on all hubs. They are quite a bit longer than stock.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI

GT4 studs. They look like ARP studs just not anodized gold.

Last edited:

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Wing installed.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Fred -- you are a "Wrenching Animal " !!
andy (ajb)

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Looks great ! Awaiting the review.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Cortex Coilovers and long tube headers.

Drivetrain is almost ready to go.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Sounds like the goal was to get this;

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A52XS

Plus, I was looking for an excuse to subscribe to the thread.
that was Dean's exact goal with the engine. you can actually get this done a lot cheaper than purchasing the crate motor from Ford Racing and end up with a much more durable and more powerful engine than the flat plane 5.2. the cross plane 5.2 is the only way to go with something like this. should be a rocket ship on the track and with all the upgraded GT350R suspension and brakes should be outstanding! good buy Fred!

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Now starts the dirty job. Removing sound deadening and seam seal material.

Attachments

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
be careful you don't remove any structural adhesives .. Will affect the bending and torsional rigidity of the Unibody structure.
andy (ajb)

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yes I would be careful about ditching all the sound pads too. Unless you want racing speeds. My 302S is hard to bear sometimes with all the road noise and rocks flying.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Dean will be welding the seams he determines are structural. He is providing advice as I go along. I guess I will be wearing ear plugs even with a helmet. I'm glad the interior stripping is almost done.

Next: All glass has to be removed for cage installation.

Attachments