GT or Galardo

f430

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2006
GT or Gallardo

Which would you choose? I'm seriously considering one or the other and would like input from others. There is an se I'm considering but its about 40k more. Anyone own both?

Last edited:

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Your a newbie and already I sense the doors and lack of space are bugging you

Its all in the headline

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
I wasn't talking posts

Didn't you just get your car?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Rong said:
Its all in the headline
Do you realize you are talking about a GOD of the GT world? :willy

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
f430 - I'm in the exact same predicament that you are... deciding between two wonderful cars. I have a couple of friends with Gallardos - one with E-Gear and the other with a stick. The Gallardo is a very nice looking, high performing, dare I say reliable, performance car. It is all wheel drive and that makes it very forgiving when you drive it quickly. Ingress/Egress is very good and the car is VERY easy to drive. There are a few people over on the Lambo forums that use them as everyday cars. Thanks to Audi's influence, they have become very reliable if not a little too "common" on the interior design elements. Maintenance schedule and associated costs are very reasonable when compared to an F-car. From a cost perspective, the G and GT cars are similar. You can find a low-mileage, prestine Gallardo in almost any color you choose for less than you can find a GT for. Of course you can go newer and spend more than you would on the GT.

Regarding the GT.... I just can't get over the lines of the car. As good as the GT looks in pictures (and they look damn good!), the GT is even more attractive in person. After all these years.... the shape is just timeless. The Gallardo is space-ship looking good but the GT is, in my book, very masculine - much more so than the Lambo. I think I could sit out in the garage and look at the Gallardo for days and weeks - but the GT for months and years.

Getting into and out of the GT is a pain in the butt compared to the G. The GT would not be as good for an everyday driver.

The GT is a "raw-er", "edge-ier" sports car compared to the G. Of course, the GT has all of that raw, raw, Americon icon heritage which does weigh (positively) on me too.

OK, all that said, a very close friend of ours who has known me for the last 20 years kind of summed it up best. She said that if you want people to know you've arrived and "be noticed" - the Gallardo is a good choice. It's a great looking exotic car that can back up the show with "go". The GT, on the other hand, is purely a car lovers car. I can see non-car people with the means ($) driving Gallardos. However, I think the majority of the GT drivers will be genuine car guys - first and foremost.

Just so you know my bias, I'm probably ordering my GT tomorrow....

(My $.02... feel free to agree or disagree.)

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I was in the same spot a few months back. I already had a 01 6.0 and was looking for something that I could use everyday. My conclusion after searching for the right gallardo for several months was that the gallardo was one hell of a nice Audi (lots of interior parts interchangeable with my A8L), once I saw the GT in person, was told I could get one for near sticker and then drove it, there was no choice.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Pretty much sums it up.

Audi will be better daily driver, better fit/finish most likely, more contemporary look, wailing Italiano V-10 and nice AWD. If you had to use it every day, certainly the choice. More cachet with your average stripper.

GT will trounce it performance wise, leave more mouths agape, never be replicated, has an unmistakable American identity. Something that makes you look in the garage every day and say "I can't believe they built this in 2005".

Can't really go wrong with either, but the Gallardo certainly doesn't move as many car people emotionally like the GT. I think the Gallardo almost seems ordinary compared to the GT, and that's saying alot because it's a very special car on its own...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I had a new Murcielago for a year or so - I know it's a bit different to the Gallardo, but it's similar territory. Nota4re sums up pretty accurately the ownership experience, as do the other contributors.

I always felt a bit of a dick getting out of the Lamborghini (if I'm completely honest with you), it's a show offs car, it was also like driving the Titanic from the pointy end. However, it's a great car,very beautiful and you could feel the mechanical alchemy going on behind you. The Gallardo is obviously a lot smaller - but it's still a 'showy' car. The GT is a Breguet with a tan leather strap, the Gallardo the 18 carat Rolex with diamonds, both cost the same, but the watch collector would want the Breguet.

The GT? Different league - whilst I don't want to repeat what's already been said, I would agree and say timeless (it is), contemporary (it is), goes like snot (it does). It is also buttock-clenchingly beautiful, I've owned most desirable sports cars - but I've never admired the lines of a car for quite so long or with quite so much pleasure.

There's an owner here with both in his garage from memory - and I'll bet they look glorious together - but if you could choose just one? Well there'll always be a Gallardo and they'll be continually improved - the GT won't be around for long.

I would say, and I wouldn't want to be unpopular around here (!), that the GT won't handle quite as well as the Gallardo. But in the real world - that's the world of Police cars and taking corners under 85mph - it will only be on the edge of performance where the Gallardo shows it's handling. But the GT has more muscle than Arnold - and THAT is what makes it such huge fun to drive. I feel the GT is quicker, more 'torquey' than than the Murcielago. The Gallardo has 376ft lbs of torque against 500 in the GT. Whilst that may be so much gobbledy-gook, it makes a massive impression when it's under your right foot.

Sorry to ramble, it's 8am and I've just had a strong coffee!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Neilda said:
The GT is a Breguet with a tan leather strap, the Gallardo the 18 carat Rolex with diamonds, both cost the same, but the watch collector would want the Breguet.
But the GT has more muscle than Arnold - and THAT is what makes it such huge fun to drive. I feel the GT is quicker, more 'torquey' than than the Murcielago. The Gallardo has 376ft lbs of torque against 500 in the GT.
Neil,
well said ! Not sure if the GT is a Breguet, but agree with the Diamond rolex comparison of the Gallardo..
Given your Arnold comparison, I think the GT would be a definitely a Panerai. Equal serious Heritage, great unique lines and a very serious 'drive' inside. And very male character, definitely..

it is really a bit sad how the use of teutonic knobs and Audi cockpit elements has changed the inside feel of the Gallardo. And, looking out, be it in front or back, good luck with tight parking ! You don't see where the car ends, despite it's so petite..
I'd rather take a F430 as daily driver thana Gallardo , and the GT for these legendary boytoy moments. In case of the Gallardo, if so, go for the SE

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I've got the GT in the garage awaiting the GTX1 conversion. My ballon white Gallardo was ordered 3/9.06 from Lamborghini of Orange County(that's CA, btw) and am being told I should expect delivery sometime in July.

They're both so different. In terms of raw performance the GT gets the nod IMHO but the Lamdo, certainly from a fit/finish perspective, has the better build quality(I'm refering primarily to the interior.)

Part of the reason I committed to "chopping the top" off the GT is cuz my head barely fits inside(I'm tall) and the same reason applies as to my choice of eGear in the Gallardo.

Both cars are standouts, even here in SoCal(Newport Beach) but the Lambo is a bit more "in your face". I'm still not completely set on the ballon white, the pearl in the paint REALLY makes the car that much more BLING, and may change to color to silver. Decisions, decisions....

f430

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2006
Neilda said:
I
I always felt a bit of a dick getting out of the Lamborghini (if I'm completely honest with you), it's a show offs car, QUOTE]
Now thats an honest reply. I've known a few people that owned lambos but never heard that. But thinking about it I might feel the same way. Some good points have been made, many of which I was already thinking. Right now I.m leaning toward the tungsten GT (wife poo-pooed the heritage at my local dealer, even got them to sticker) Time will tell
Thanks

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Having both is fantastic - they are very different... choosing one - the GT.

Center, yes the scissor doors was probably what made me feel a twot - every kid in every gas station expected Rod Stewart to come out of the thing. Not some grey haired (yet nevertheless strangely attractive) random bloke to appear!

Fun while it lasted though.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Neilda said:
- every kid in every gas station expected Rod Stewart to come out of the thing. Not some grey haired (yet nevertheless strangely attractive) random bloke to appear!

Come on Neil, you look just like Rod in your Aston on the track in Goodwood!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think if you compare that particular image against Mr Stewart and Toad of Toad Hall, I am close to one of them!! :lol

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Gallardo colors

KJ,

the pearl white is simply spectacular. Particularily on the spider. the roof sits on it beautifully, it looks even more 'cattivo' than the coupe. Bellissima.
Internal or black, or , even better, dark Blue. I mean the Prada blue. Very cool. potentially stitching in a contrasting color, but, even in blue or black. bello. :thumbsup

Otherwise, the cooles colorscheme is the one in the pictures here attached. If you want to, I can post even the interior fit out... amazing.
A friend of my Lambo friend did the conversion. If you want to, given the car goes to export, i could ask him if he'd prepare you one just like it ! :biggrin

Be interesting what your local sheriff will say, he, he :lol

or, go for the Lambo orange, but more a coupe color. The coupe I'd take otherwise in pastel black, with cool interior black/pinkish red. I saw one being prepared for chicago in the factory, was impressed. Can post pics or PM, if you want..

cheers
stefan

PS: See you in summer !

Attachments

• polizia1.jpg
    polizia1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 78
  • polizia2.jpg
    polizia2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 64

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
cross shopping lamborghini and ford are we? Who could have envisioned that 5 years ago? :thumbsup

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
satx said:
cross shopping lamborghini and ford are we? Who could have envisioned that 5 years ago? :thumbsup

Great point.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Crossshopping Lambo and Ford

I am thinking about the Lambo R2....

real presence ! :wink

don't you guys just love these wheels? :banana

Attachments

• Lambo Silverpower.jpg
    Lambo Silverpower.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 103

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Very subtle and probably loads of torque!!!! :cheers

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
out of the box

At a certain point, it is hard to go wrong with a choice between a Gallardo and a GT. I have tracked an e-gear gallardo many times and it is one of the easiest cars I know to drive fast--especially with the e-gear. At the same time, I took a 360 coupe over the gallardo (now flipped to a 360 spyder) as I felt the Ferrari looked better, was more fun to drive, and would hold its value better. (I have owned 360s since 2000) The Stradale is quicker than the gallardo, the normal 360 is a bit slower and more work to drive fast.
I picked up a GT last fall and to be honest, I am putting miles on it at 2x the rate I am on the spyder. While that is partly due to weather--and may change as things get warmer, it is also because the GT is such a blast to drive. For production street cars, only the Enzo and the Carrera GT feel faster to me (I have never enjoyed the Murcielago for a lot of reasons). The GT is total eye candy-- ever since I fell in love with its lines in the mid 60's the design has stood the test of time--something the more angular gallardo may not. I am also impressed with the build quality of the car, whcih is far better than I expected. While I am waiting for a 430, it is so hard to get I am putting it out of this comparison--I think it is a full step ahead of everything else in the under $300k bracket. My suggestion is to also look at a used "clean" US 360 spyder which can be found in the same range as a new GT. If you have room for only one exotic in your garage--go with the Ferrari. If you already have other exotic cars, go with the GT. But most of all, go with the car that gets your pulse the highest; they are all terrific.