GT factory charger

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Did everyone get a factory trickel charger with the car ? (I did not)
I was wondering , if I call Ford would thay send me one...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
can order it via vendors here for like $75, nice case too

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
You can spend less and get a good "smart charger" (not just a trickle charger) from any decent auto store or battery supplier.

Howard

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
IMO, the best charger for your GT is a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. Its technology will not overcharge the battery like some trickle and float chargers will. They are available most inexpensively through several ebay auctions that run all year. About $45 delivered is what you should expect to pay.

It comes with two means of connection ... alligator clips and loop connectors to hard wire your battery so you don't have to constantly remove the panel to access your battery. The other option, which I think is the most convenient, is to buy a special cigar lighter adapter (made to match the Battery Tender connector) from Cool Tech ... part #GT07301. Sells for $9.00. You would then simply plug it into your lighter port and you're connected.

usmcfred

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I use the factory charger when not driving the GT. Is there any risk of harming the battery with the trickle charger?

Rick

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In order to provide optimum battery life for a car that occasionally will spend 2-3 weeks or more parked, you should invest in a FLOAT charger. A float charger, by definition, has internal electronics which monitor the battery (primarily voltage level) and will float on and off as needed to properly maintain your battery. The largest, most widely recognized name, and presumably "best" float chargers are made by Deltran and marketed under the name "Battery Tender".

A trickle charger is different than a float charger although it is common for people to occasionally (and incorrectly) refer to a float charger as a trickle charger. A trickle charger differs from a float charger in that it has no on/off (float) capability and will simply continue to charge the battery. Use of a trickle charger over an extended amount of time can be harmful to your battery. In contrast, a float charger will actually serve to enhance the life of your battery and many will argue that they actually pay from themselves.

The "stock" charger from Ford is, as far as I know, kind of in between. I do not believe it has any "float" logic - certainly there are no lights or indicators. I believe that it is a low amperage (500mA) trickle charger. As the amperage is so low, it is really hard to imagine that it could be harmful - even in extended use. That said, a brand name charger, like the Battery Tenders, can charge at higher rates than the Ford charger but will cycle off to maintain an optimum battery life.

As an alternative to the Ford charger, I sell a couple variations of the Battery Tender kit that have been customized for the GT. Namely, I supply the wiring to allow you to install a connection that is hidden in the front nose of the car. When you park, you can plug in the charger without having to lift the bonnet or roll down a window to get at the cigarette lighter.

Last edited:

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
IMO, the best charger for your GT is a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. Its technology will not overcharge the battery like some trickle and float chargers will. They are available most inexpensively through several ebay auctions that run all year. About $45 delivered is what you should expect to pay.

It comes with two means of connection ... alligator clips and loop connectors to hard wire your battery so you don't have to constantly remove the panel to access your battery. The other option, which I think is the most convenient, is to buy a special cigar lighter adapter (made to match the Battery Tender connector) from Cool Tech ... part #GT07301. Sells for $9.00. You would then simply plug it into your lighter port and you're connected.

usmcfred

Ditto. I use the Battery Tender as well.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Kendall,

Would you mind sharing your opinion on the CTEK's please?

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Default.aspx

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Would you mind sharing your opinion on the CTEK's please?

I have no personal experience with the CTEK's but in looking/reading about them on the web, they look great. I would have no problems to use one!

The only ones that I would be concerned about are ANY trickle charger (these are intended for a single over-night charging of a dead battery), or an el-cheapo, no-name float charger from someplace like Harbor Freight.

As I said previously, the stock Ford charger - though likely not a float variety, is OK too but I just find the cigarette lighter plug-in inconvenient.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Battery Tender

I got the factory Ford trickle charger but I don't use it. The "Battery Tender" is the best thing to use for maximum healthy battery life. I have 10 of them humming in my garages as I write this, 4 on motorcycles, 4 on cars, 1 on a boat, and one on my spare GT battery. Have never had a problem with them or on the batterys they are connected to. :thumbsup

Chip

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thanks Kendall! I appreciate the response.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
cool tech for 2005?

Your description of your GT battery tender mentions only 2006. So what should a 2005 GT use? Thanks.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Your description of your GT battery tender mentions only 2006. So what should a 2005 GT use? Thanks.

'Year makes no diff. :thumbsup

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
float charger

Does anybody else have any experience with the Chicago Electric float chargers sold at Harbor Freight?

A coupon in holiday flier for $4.98 ea......

I have used these for years on Mustangs with no problems (regular batteries).

Just wondering if there are any problems using on an Optima battery.

dp

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No idea... Harbor does not have a quality image. I would not risk it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Does anybody have any experience with the Chicago Electric float chargers sold at Harbor Freight?

A coupon in holiday flier for $4.98 ea......

If it sounds too good to be true...?

I dunno, I bought a pretty good aluminum jack on the cheap from there for my Z06 back in the day.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ok I am going to bite the bullet and tell you I admidt I have no idea where the battery is? Ok a big car guy freak and I havn't looked for it yet.:willy

Any pics of the secret passage way?

Cool tech show us the way bud....

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I don't know why in the world anyone would look for anything else. nota4re (Kendall, aka Cool Tech) has the perfect solution, and has thought out all the angles. All you do is order his kit, no thinking, no wondering if it's the best thing for the car, because it is. I personally don't have the time to run around on the internet trying to save $20 and do research to determine if some other solution will cook my battery or not.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
float

The cost is not the issue...

dp

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The cost is not the issue...

dp

I would ass-ume if the charger works on one battery it would work on all.
There has been volumes written on this site about this topic. The search button will reveal all.:biggrin

,... here is a wild ass thought:biggrin
We have a supporting vendor, that has designed a special charger for the FGT...
cooltech, he gives valuable aid to FGT owners all over the country and especially the KAL-FOOL-NIA crew.
Don't see Harbor doing anything for our group, I know their tools are chinese junk,. but mine are all FALCOM (FTF:wink) so I confess to being a tool snob.

If you like our site, support our vendors and perhaps even take out a subscription yourself. Your call, no pressure, just my two cents:cheers