GT driver killed in crash in VA.?

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
the dateline states '07 but it was posted tonight(1/3/08). I hope it was not anyone here. No pics.

January 3, 2007
One person died in a car crash on Scottsville Road just before eight o'clock tonight.
Albemarle County Police say a Ford GT was attempting to pass another car on the road, when the driver lost control, ran off the road, and then went airborn before crashing into the back of a parked truck.
The driver was killed in the crash, and the passenger was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. Rescuers needed the jaws of life to get her out of the car.
Traffic was slowed to one lane while crews were on the scene.
the name of the driver and the passenger have not been released.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HHGT

That is truly sad to hear. May God rest his soul.....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Very sad, RIP, for the rest of us, be safe.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
As sad as it is, it should be a wake-up call or reminder to the rest of us that the Ford GT is not a GT in cold weather, with cold tires on cold roads. Prayers to the families of these unfortunate people.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
+1

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
If true , this is the first DOCUMENTED, fatality in a gt. Its amazing after all the wrecks we have seen, flipped cars ect. I've admitted it to myself and others for a long time , Im old , I want to enjoy some more years, hopefully some grandkids :thumbsup BOY RACING AT 40/50/ 60/70 IS LIKE A BOOB JOB AND FACE LIFT ON A 70 YEAR OLD, WHO CARES!!!!! Not you MOM, YOU DONT LOOK A DAY OVER 39:biggrin . BE CAREFUL!!!!! GTJOEY 1314
P.S. IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR LIFE , JUST THINK OF EVERYONE ELSE ... MORE IMPORTANT ANOTHER LOST GT :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
P.S. IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR LIFE , JUST THINK OF EVERYONE ELSE ...

WELL SAID

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
This is scary, last year about this time on the Viper forum there were a rash of fatal accidents. As I recall one of them involved a Viper running into the rear of a parked truck along side the highway. I wonder if the change of the time of year is not being followed by a change in driving care. The Viper is known to become more dangerous in colder weather because of its tires. Everybody keep this in mind and pull back a little until the roads warm-up again.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Goodyear has warnings on most sales sites:

The Eagle F1 Supercar tires are designed to emphasize dry road traction and handling. Since these tires are Summer tires they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice for fear of traction loss.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This is scary, last year about this time on the Viper forum there were a rash of fatal accidents. As I recall one of them involved a Viper running into the rear of a parked truck along side the highway. I wonder if the change of the time of year is not being followed by a change in driving care. The Viper is known to become more dangerous in colder weather because of its tires. Everybody keep this in mind and pull back a little until the roads warm-up again.

The car is not dangerous, the tires are not. These are not accidents, they are crashes. Accidents and crashes are two different situations, both can prevented. Very sad, but the issue is with the loose nut behind the wheel.
Engage brain before inserting key and pressing red button.
Sorry for being so candid.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I was out a couple of days ago and gave it a full throttle burst in second. The tires broke loose briefly, but more importantly my boost gage pegged. I have a stock pulley. It was about 30 degrees. We are probably making about 75 more hp in the cold plus the brittle tires.

Every GT owner should be required to log at least 90 days in a Teminator. Less traction, handling ability, and crappy front/rear weight bias. If they are pullied the hp comes on as fast as the GT.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Well said, BONY.
For those of us who drive vintage racers or high-powered supercars, it's best to remember the immortal words, put into song, of Aretha Franklin: R.E.S.P.E.C.T.!
While scarcity of our FGT's makes them more valuable each day, this sort of thing is NOT the way to inflate the prices of these wonderful art forms!
PLEASE be CAREFUL in 2008!!

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Yes, thats right.

I don't care if its stock or mod,YOU MUST HAVE a healthy RESPECT and know
your driveing limits.I know $hit happens.Their is time and place for fun.
Cold tires and hard foot don't mix.Im sad to here that.I will say a prayer
for them

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Every GT owner should be required to log at least 90 days in a Teminator. Less traction, handling ability, and crappy front/rear weight bias. If they are pullied the hp comes on as fast as the GT.

First off - my heart to the family of the crash.

Second - ironically enough that is what my son drives (pullied '03) and whenever I can get the keys away from him I do drive it for that reasons mentioned above. Bad part of it right now is that his Nitto's are almost at the wear indicators which can make it even more scary!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
So very, very sad. :frown
Bony, you stated very well my thoughts as I was reading the threads.
Crashes and accidents are truly different issues and I've tried like heck to drive (no pun intended) this through the brains of my four young adult and teen drivers.
I've not had a spin or tricky driving issue on the street (knock on wood), but living in SoCal keeps the roads much warmer than most the country.
I did, however, spin for the first time at Willow Springs a month ago with a cold, late-morning track. Was being cautious, gradually picking up my speed every lap or so without any issues.....then without any hint of a warning in a slight turn I was sideways and pegging both pedals to the floor, no way to try to correct.
Personally I would encourage all FGT owners to get their cars on the track! I know for me, it keeps me from giving in to the constant urge to peg the throttle on the street...well most the time anyway. Not to mention that's only where you can really have fun in these incredible machines while in a safe environment for yourself and those around you.

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
This is very very sad. I will keep them in my prayers tonight.

I do not want to put this thread in a wrong direction, however, are we sure that it was a GT and not a Mustang GT. Either way it is very sad but I have not met a reporter for a local newspaper yet that knows the difference.

Please take care out there. Life is a gift.

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
This is very very sad. I will keep them in my prayers tonight.

I do not want to put this thread in a wrong direction, however, are we sure that it was a GT and not a Mustang GT. Either way it is very sad but I have not met a reporter for a local newspaper yet that knows the difference.

Please take care out there. Life is a gift.

It was definitly a GT. There is video to the updated story along with the name of the driver. Very sad indeed.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
First off - my heart to the family of the crash.

Second - ironically enough that is what my son drives (pullied '03) and whenever I can get the keys away from him I do drive it for that reasons mentioned above. Bad part of it right now is that his Nitto's are almost at the wear indicators which can make it even more scary!

Aaah bald Nittos. You know how to bring back the memories. Don't you love that car for what it is? I miss mine.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This is scary, last year about this time on the Viper forum there were a rash of fatal accidents. As I recall one of them involved a Viper running into the rear of a parked truck along side the highway.

We had quite a discussion about this wreck here on the 'Forum. It was just a semi TRAILER parked by itself though as I recall (if we're talking about the same wreck). Some folks blamed the guy who parked the 'trailer for the wreck...even though pics taken from the air showed the trailer was parked well off the roadway. The trailer was parked "headed east" and the Viper was "headed west" so to speak. For some reason, the Viper crossed 3-4 lanes of roadway, went under the trailer, and slammed into the trailer's rear axles. 'Not pretty. (Personally, I held/hold the person who parked the trailer there "blameless".)

I agree with Bony (though it pains me whenever I find that's the case:ack). This kinda stuff IS avoidable 99.999% of the time - barring a mechanical failure or the like.

It'd be good to keep in mind that our own lives, and the lives of many other people - directly or indirectly - could be drastically changed/ended in a heartbeat by doing something stupid/irresponsible behind the wheel of any car...let alone a high horsepower GT, etc.

That same principle applies to life in general for that matter.

I'll get off my dang soapbox now.

Pontificating Pockets

Last edited: