GT at the ring ??

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
Look at FGT Willow Springs Lap Time vs ACR and the ACR did not break 7 minutes.

Sort of an apples to oranges comparison.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

Which car is the apple & which is the orange?

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Ed

I think the GT is Cherries... :lol

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado

Ed

The Viper has to be the orange because they usually have 10 slices in an orange, so it fits.

Apples in general come in a lot of different colors, an extended color palette if you will.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia

How about the 720 S then almost a 2 second advantage, nobody loves the GT more than I do but the laws of physics have not been repealed to my knowledge.
Weight and power matter a lot. I believe the GT has superior aerodynamics to its competition but at a venue like the Ring acceleration matters more than a few .1's on the G meter.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
How about the 720 S then almost a 2 second advantage, nobody loves the GT more than I do but the laws of physics have not been repealed to my knowledge.
Weight and power matter a lot. I believe the GT has superior aerodynamics to its competition but at a venue like the Ring acceleration matters more than a few .1's on the G meter.

Hmmm, maybe, maybe not. More Gs in the corners translates to higher exir speed which means faster on the straight which means lower lap times. The ring has LOTS of turns.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is no way the GT would compete with the GT2 RS at the Ring. GT2 RS has more front tire, much more aggressive tire compound, 100 rwhp more, and way more than double the downforce when the park bench is setup for maximum attack.

GT would need big wing, Cup 2 R, fender vents, larger front tires (that would rub at ride height that makes front underwing most effective), etc.

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado

I was talking more about how you can't really take lap times from one location (especially different days), and assume they will carry over to another.

I adore the GT as much as anyone here, but I don't think it's going to keep pace with the 720S and the GT2 RS on pretty much any circuit.

The ACR is a different story. I think the two would throw punches at each other in various locations depending on how the track caters to each ones strengths.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
....GT would need big wing, Cup 2 R, fender vents, larger front tires (that would rub at ride height that makes front underwing most effective), etc.

I totally think Stormcat will be doing this to his NGT! Go Stormy!

Ed

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
This has been discussed before but the Viper tires are really soft, could not complete a lap with out failing at the ring. I believe if you put normal compound tires on both cars the GT would exceed the vipers performance.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Vette brakes - we need vette brakes :willy

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
When Porsche built that GT 2rs they really built a Ringer.!!:lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You Are very punny.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

That's Stormcat's job!

Ed

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
Agreed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

The Vette brakes are good but with the air brake the GT brakes are way better !!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
btw - put some thoughts into converting your 05/06 rear spoiler into an air break ? That would be awesome :thumbsup