Got a FGT TODAY!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A short throw shifter will be your most favorite mod. Every time I drive mine I am in awe about how precisely it sifts. It's a great "driver's car".

If you haven't taken a performance driving class I highly recommend it. I did he Bondurant class and am going for the advanced class next spring.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
White faster? Red faster? Hmm.....I'm into physics, let me think on that.....maybe I can come up with a theory!

Exit to the Rear....Exit to the Rear....Exit to the Rear...ok got it.

Kayvan....I used to use Reliable when I worked for GM and shipped cars around. Shelby picked them this time but I believe them to be the very best....certainly the largest. They used tie-downs only on the tires and parked the car near a side door as you can see in the pics. They were great....never did this before but I tipped the guy....was that ok? lol

FBA....a blower? I suppose I'll get around to it, but my god, do I really need more?

Drew.....thanks, we'll talk soon.

Kevin.....thanks, I'll think about the C&C, but I'm in the cruise for sure.......

JBYRNES.....yep, you got it, sat in the car and tried it out...cool. That first drive today was basically straight off the truck. Hell, when I stopped for gas I didn't even know how to open the cap...haha....I thought both latches were for the hood.....silly me.

Tony....ok on your word I'm gonna get the short thrown shifter. There's a guy on ebay selling them, is that the right one (Ford Racing M-7210-GT)? I do feel somewhat experienced in the car as I've been an SCCA racer-type for my whole life. I actually still hold a track record at Riverside....lol. I do still occasionally take an advanced driving course, but usually just for the fun.....i.e. to run Laguna Seca in some formula car or whatever.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Looks like new! Congrats!

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
Welcome Wizard! I'm about as new as you are to FGT ownership. I am currently still in the 'going to hit my head' group, but my day is coming. The cars are so much fun to drive, push, and look at! I'm highly respectful of it, and haven't a grain of your credentials, but still learning its manners. To me the shifter seems ideal, but I come from Fcars, so its like a dream! Enjoy!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Congrats

Shelby is great

But white is faster
Listen to this guy, he obviously knows his GT's!!!

When you exit the GT, exit to the rear every time and your safe.. All of us have scars.. Beautiful car, enjoy it..
Easier said than done, and yes we have scars!!!!

There are only 2 kinds of GT owners; those who have been hit by the door, and those who are inevitably GOING to be hit by the door. I'm in the 2nd class - OUCH! Congrats on what is probably the best automobile purchase of a lifetime - and a belated welcome to the best forum around! You will enjoy the snot out of this car - there's really nothing that comes close in terms of pure shit-faced grin factor. Lambo's, F cars etc...none of them will give you the same experience as our GT's, so go out and enjoy...and when you get tired of the power and want more, just change the blower and add a bunch 'a hundred more ponies!!
I've hit my head twice, it hurts!!! This car does put serious smiles on your face, and the power is intoxicating. Add a pulley and a tune, makes it even more fun. The short shifter is $$$$. I've put a little over 11,000 miles on the car in the just over two years that I have it, my only regret is that the cold weather's coming, and I won't be able to drive it soon!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Welcome aboard.We all know just how excited you are!
The rally is the most fun you can have as an owner.A bunch of Gt freaks all in one place!
Use the advanced search mode and use the word "NEWBIES".You will find all kinds of great tidbits of info!
best regards,Roketman

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Get rid of those Goodyears on a pullied car! Now. Before a shifter, before anything else.

Been there and done that......

Oh, and congrats on one of the best purchases in your life.

I can concur that the short throw shifter is WELL worth the effort. Much improved feel.

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
+1 on the short throw shifter...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony....ok on your word I'm gonna get the short thrown shifter. There's a guy on ebay selling them, is that the right one (Ford Racing M-7210-GT)? I do feel somewhat experienced in the car as I've been an SCCA racer-type for my whole life. I actually still hold a track record at Riverside....lol. I do still occasionally take an advanced driving course, but usually just for the fun.....i.e. to run Laguna Seca in some formula car or whatever.

I believe that is the part number.

If you're SCCA you are going to be very comfortable in this car.

I'm going to do the Bondurant advanced racing class next spring. I took the 4 day version two years ago (on Corvettes, last day on Formula Mazda). For the advanced they will let you drive your own car if you want (but discourage doing the whole class since you'll go through a set of consumables). I was planning on trying to double this up with the Shelby "Vegas Bash".

I will post a feeler topic, maybe we can get some additional participation. I've just got to figure out how to get in the car with a helmet.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There are only 2 kinds of GT owners; those who have been hit by the door, and those who are inevitably GOING to be hit by the door. I'm in the 2nd class - OUCH!

Same with Cobras.

There are only 2 kinds of Cobra owners; those who have burned their leg on the side pipe, and those who are inevitably GOING burned their leg on the side pipe. I'm in the 2nd class - OUCH!

Most people only do either twice and then remember about the roof or the snake. My wife burned herself 3 times on the Cobra sidepipe and that was another strike. It was #4 or #5.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Congrats

Shelby is great

But white is faster

When you exit the GT, exit to the rear every time and your safe.. All of us have scars.. Beautiful car, enjoy it..

There are only 2 kinds of GT owners; those who have been hit by the door, and those who are inevitably GOING to be hit by the door. I'm in the 2nd class - OUCH! Congrats on what is probably the best automobile purchase of a lifetime - and a belated welcome to the best forum around! You will enjoy the snot out of this car - there's really nothing that comes close in terms of pure shit-faced grin factor. Lambo's, F cars etc...none of them will give you the same experience as our GT's, so go out and enjoy...and when you get tired of the power and want more, just change the blower and add a bunch 'a hundred more ponies!!

I believe that is the part number.

If you're SCCA you are going to be very comfortable in this car.

I'm going to do the Bondurant advanced racing class next spring. I took the 4 day version two years ago (on Corvettes, last day on Formula Mazda). For the advanced they will let you drive your own car if you want (but discourage doing the whole class since you'll go through a set of consumables). I was planning on trying to double this up with the Shelby "Vegas Bash".

I will post a feeler topic, maybe we can get some additional participation. I've just got to figure out how to get in the car with a helmet.
2 words...............Gurney bubble

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Get rid of those Goodyears on a pullied car! Now. Before a shifter, before anything else.

Been there and done that......

Oh, and congrats on one of the best purchases in your life.

I can concur that the short throw shifter is WELL worth the effort. Much improved feel.

To this I also concur. Get Bridgestones. I lived through hockey puck tires on my Cobra and read here about all of the cold issues with the Goodyears and ditched them before I even got in the car the first time. I've only driven it with a pulley/tune (650RWHP), short throw shifter and Bridgestones. Can't imagine it any other way.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Guys.....thanks for the continuing good advice on tires etc.

Tony....I have a Cobra with side pipes, so I know what you're saying.....permanent scar on my left calf......lol.....

I also drove the Formula Mazda.....wow, what crazy fun that was.

Is there anyone else that sells the short shifter?

When is the Vegas Bash.....Shelby owes me a drink!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
2 words...............Gurney bubble

Thought about it. First inclination is to buy a second seat and take the padding down. I want to be able to restore the car to stock.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Guys.....thanks for the continuing good advice on tires etc.

Tony....I have a Cobra with side pipes, so I know what you're saying.....permanent scar on my left calf......lol.....

I also drove the Formula Mazda.....wow, what crazy fun that was.

Is there anyone else that sells the short shifter?

When is the Vegas Bash.....Shelby owes me a drink!!!

Re: Short Throw Shifter: I believe that Ford is sold out of them, and seem to recall that someone here might have picked up the remaining inventory. It's a good chance the eBay one is just that.

Bondurant uses Corvettes now. I was in one of the last classes before they changed to the Grand Sports and I hear they are better. But the Formula Mazda was such a treat to drive after being whipped around in the Corvettes.

The 2013 Vegas Bash is 21-24 March 2013. I would try to arrange for the advanced class starting the Monday before.

Which Shelby owes you a drink? If it is Carroll too late - he passed away earlier this year. You might wrangle one out of Shelby Smith though :)

Enjoy the car! It's a hoot!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yeah yeah...too many Shelbys around here.....I meant Shelby Smith.....lol...I guess when you referred to the Vegas Bash the wrong Shelby came to my mind?

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Re: Short Throw Shifter: I believe that Ford is sold out of them, and seem to recall that someone here might have picked up the remaining inventory. It's a good chance the eBay one is just that.

Enjoy the car! It's a hoot!

Yep, as far as I know, ZR Chris bought the remaining inventory of Short Shifters. And those are the ones on ebay. Contact him direct from here, he might (not saying he does) offer a slightly better price from the forum (I know he'd save Ebay fees anyway). While you're talking to him, you could consider a billiard ball shift knob. They look good. Well, I think so anyway. And if you're decorating the shifter anyway, you should also consider the shift sleeve and leather boot from Andrew at ExotiCare.

But I totally concur, short shifter is one of the BEST mods you can do. My faves are that one, the lowering perches (or Penske coilovers like I've got now) and the Pulley/Tune/Exhaust. Everything else is a bonus (especially twin turbos - BIG bonus!!!).

Enjoy your ride. And welcome to the madhouse.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Superfly.....do you know Chris' forum name?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Superfly.....do you know Chris' forum name?

Pretty sure it's 'zrchris'

EDIT - here's his forum profile. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/member.php?3309-zrchris

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Yep, as far as I know, ZR Chris bought the remaining inventory of Short Shifters. And those are the ones on ebay. Contact him direct from here, he might (not saying he does) offer a slightly better price from the forum (I know he'd save Ebay fees anyway). While you're talking to him, you could consider a billiard ball shift knob. They look good. Well, I think so anyway. And if you're decorating the shifter anyway, you should also consider the shift sleeve and leather boot from Andrew at ExotiCare.

But I totally concur, short shifter is one of the BEST mods you can do. My faves are that one, the lowering perches (or Penske coilovers like I've got now) and the Pulley/Tune/Exhaust. Everything else is a bonus (especially twin turbos - BIG bonus!!!).

Enjoy your ride. And welcome to the madhouse.
Don't forget exhaust, hot buttons, floor mats..........once you start, it's hard to stop!!!!