Got a FGT TODAY!!!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

Well today was the day. Met the Reliable truck and unloaded the beast you see in the attached pics. This was Shelby's 1600 mile red pulley car.

Took it for the first drive, some on my secret "high speed" road. Turns out it wasn't quite so secret on a Tuesday, and for the first time ever I saw a police car just before I lit it off.....thank god for the V1. Anyway, well into the triple digits and then some Malibu canyon roads. OK WOW. Torque that is wide and brutal and a steering response that is amazingly precise. Need to get the feel of the clutch a bit better, and gear selection (would the short shifter make gear selection even harder?).

Also cool, even here in California, Los Angeles no less.....pretty much everyone just kind of moved out of the way....I like that. They kind of get out of the way for my Lambo, but I think the stripes really send a message!

So I'll probably have a ton of newbie questions......but I now officially own one. Here's the obligatory unloading pics......

DSC_0011.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0023.JPGDSC_0027.JPG

Last edited:

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007
Congrats and Reliable is who we use for all our GT's. Enjoy and easy coming out of corners for a while

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good for you. And that's a big "finally". Looks great.

Drive it often as you can. Fun Stuff.

The short throw shifter doesn't make shifting harder. Your GT is still new and a bit stiff. Shifting should get easier.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Congratulations, and enjoy - :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Looks good, Ross!

Don't forget to watch out for THE DOOR(s)!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Welcome to the club. I am glad to see you driving and enjoying the car during. Some owners only park them in the garage until they are sold.

Delexjb

GT Owner
May 27, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Great buy and congrats! Remember to take it easy through the corners until you have a chance to learn the car.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Oh yeah! Congrats, Ross! She's a beaut. Agreed on the getting used to the feeling of the clutch. Drove my first GT this past weekend and with the very high engagement point, it's by far my least favorite aspect of the car. The throws are pretty long. Drove another with a short shifter and it was a definite improvement. Would actually benefit from being a bit more 'notchy' to give you a better sense of what gear you're going into. I was a bit hesitant with the shifts, afraid of making an inadvertent downshift.

Congrats again! Enjoy it! Make the trip down to Irvine C&C this Saturday so I can see it!:)

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Glad you finally got the car. Hope she is everything we promised and more!!! Enjoy her in good health and thank you for your business.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
that GT looks sweet!!!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I like the color!

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Guys, I will definitely take it easy for a while, and I now understand your concern....wow. And thanks for all the congrats! I was so concerned today of having a "complication" as I would've been too embarrassed to say so here, so I would've had to just disappear forever....lol.....glad it went smoothly.

Jeff.....the shifting was just hitting the right spot....I don't really have much of a visual reference yet, and certainly didn't want to hit the wrong gear, so I kind of took it easy. My concern with the short shifter that you guys have raved about is being shorter it will be even more difficult to reference......but the action of the shifter seemed fine. Does that make sense?

Pockets.....I have banged my head a couple times already, but I think I got it now....haha....

Ed, I will consider the C&C, but you are certainly welcome to make the hour drive north and I'll show you this car and a few others!

Shelby....yes the car is absolutely as described, but of course I knew it would be. And for those of you considering doing business with Shelby I must say our negotiation was very easy and pleasant. I believe Shelby got what he needed and I feel I got a good deal as well. Try it, you'll like it.

Bravo...I heard red was fastest!!!!

Sonic Blue.....if you're still out there and wanna sell parts, now is the time, otherwise...well you know.....

Last edited:

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Congrats

Shelby is great

But white is faster

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
When you exit the GT, exit to the rear every time and your safe.. All of us have scars.. Beautiful car, enjoy it..

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Congrats!!

How was Reliable transport service

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
There are only 2 kinds of GT owners; those who have been hit by the door, and those who are inevitably GOING to be hit by the door. I'm in the 2nd class - OUCH! Congrats on what is probably the best automobile purchase of a lifetime - and a belated welcome to the best forum around! You will enjoy the snot out of this car - there's really nothing that comes close in terms of pure shit-faced grin factor. Lambo's, F cars etc...none of them will give you the same experience as our GT's, so go out and enjoy...and when you get tired of the power and want more, just change the blower and add a bunch 'a hundred more ponies!!

Drew@ClassicAuto

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 10, 2008
Congrats on the GT Ross!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Atta boy Ross!
Glad you are now a part of the GT team!
Let's hit Cars & Coffee in Irvine this Saturday!
Congratulations on having a goal and making it happen.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, I will consider the C&C, but you are certainly welcome to make the hour drive north and I'll show you this car and a few others!

I'd love to but my schedule in SoCal is pretty tight, esp with my wife and 2 year old daughter in tow. Only reason I can get to C&C is because it's before everyone wakes up:) Just come on down to Irvine. You need to stretch it's legs!

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Finding the right gear is actually pretty simple once you remember one thing. Of the 3 vertical gates (1-2, 3-4, 5-6), the shifter will naturally detent to the middle of the 3-4 gate when it's pulled between any of those pairs of gears and released or relaxed. Then once you're "home" its easy to visually push to any gear. A little left for 1-2, a little right for 5-6. With the torque it's not unusual to forget that you're in 5th instead of 3rd if you're (well - at least me) not paying attention to the tach, but just moving to middle vertically and letting it spring itself into the 3-4 gate quickly resets the mental HH pattern . You never have to worry about hitting reverse instead of 1st since it's so intentionally off pattern and stiff. Maybe all 6 speeds work this way but when I was new to the car I found myself hunting for the next gear sometimes until I learned how logically it was set up with the center gate detent.