GM Memories.....

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
a 200+ thread of personal GM memories is running on the NYT Wheels blog

Heartwarming that so many had GM as their first ride and as a milestone of success in their personal, professional and family lives....

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/gm/

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's a sad day.

My first truly fast car was a Corvette, as was my second.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A Very Sad Day! The New GM will not look even similar to the GM we KNEW. How did this even Happen in this Great USA? Tomy Hamon

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Inevitable.

Gentlemen,

Three things really stand out when I look back at my two decade long experience as a General Motors dealer. I spent a summer attending the General Motors Institute in Flint, Michigan after I graduated from college in 1978. We visited two GM assembly plants where I was stunned by the disdain most of the UAW workers appeared to have for both their job and General Motors. A couple years later when my dealership was being crippled by a fairly lengthy UAW strike over what I considered to be some outrageous and and unrealistic Union demands, I told my factory representative that General Motors needed stand firm as their labor costs were already out of line with their Japanese competitors. Even though that strike was crushing me financially at the time, I thought I would be better off in the long run as a GM dealer to see General Motors break the union (like PATCO), or at least come to a reasonable contract. When General Motors rolled over, in my gut I knew it was the beginning of the end.

Second, General Motors lack of technological progress during the 1980s. It was during this time that I read about and drove so many new high-tech, high mileage cars being built by foreign competitors. Overhead cam shafts, four valve heads, five speed transmissions, and the use of high strength lightweight materials. My Pontiacs were being built with ancient three speed automatic transmissions, pushrod equipped cast iron blocks with two valve heads, inexpensive and heavy materials, and dismal gas mileage combined with poor performance. At that year's Pontiac Masters conference during a question-and-answer session where top dealers could query the General Motors vice president and head of the Pontiac Motor Division directly, I asked him if General Motors had decided to permanently cede the leadership in all automotive engine technology to the Japanese. His answer to me was essentially "yes", that General Motors could make more money selling existing technology to their established customer base and that the huge amounts of money required to design and build new high-tech engines would be a financial loser for General Motors and their dealers. Good grief!

Third and last. There is virtually nothing that a GM employee could do, whether they were a manager or a UAW member, that would get them fired. An employee could make a mistake that would cost the company $100 million dollars and that employee would not get fired. Any mistake, no matter how idiotic, reckless, or even intentional, would earn any GM employee a pink slip. I queried countless high-level General Motors employees, some of them a 30 year management veterans. My question, "In your entire career as a General Motors manager have you ever fired anybody for cause?". NEVER ONCE did a General Motors executives tell me he had fired an employee. A couple times they did say, "No, but I transferred somebody once". When a company is willing to tolerate any level of incompetence or lack of effort, they will certainly get it. Please note I am not talking about layoffs here where large numbers of employees are terminated because of downsizing. I'm talking about firing an individual because he's not getting the job done.

The attitude of most people involved seemed to be that General Motors was so large and had been around for so long, that nothing could bring it down. They were invincible. If a beast is large enough, an infinite number of parasites may attach themselves to it without causing it's demise.

12 years ago I lost faith in General Motors long term ability to survive and compete as an auto manufacturer. I sold my Pontiac and GMC truck dealership to AutoNation. Six months ago AutoNation shut that dealership down and today it sits empty and abandoned.

Today it is indeed, a very sad day.

Chip

Last edited:
H

HHGT

This is beyond sad. Starting tomorrow ask any American to name 10 Brands made in the US and I bet they'll get stuck after the 3rd. UAW sits on the board, Canada owns 12% of GM and GM can no longer import small energy efficient cars.

Tomorrow, I will be driving my Duramax Diesel to a Ford dealer and trading it in. Unless of course a 2007 25,000 mile LTZ CrewCab is worth nothing, then I will drive it until it dies.

Last edited:

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Tomorrow, I will be driving my Duramax Diesel to a Ford dealer and trading it in. Unless of course a 2007 25,000 mile LTZ CrewCab is worth nothing, then I will drive it until it dies.

You can step up to a Quality non union made truck and get yourself a Toyota :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Watch your comments carefully. I swear to God, if this gets out of hand, vacations are being handed out. Last warning.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
:thumbsup

Mad Max

Apr 7, 2006
SE Michigan
As a child I remember what I thought was the sexiest car I ever saw. Down the street was a black on black 1969 GTO with hide away headlamps. The split nose, the coke bottle fenders, and the fast back all SO appealed to me! I would wait on the lawn to hear it drive by. It sounded as if some kind of beast was caged in the engine compartment. For years I wanted no other car. For my HS graduation present my parents bought me one. Later demands of life forced me to sell it, I miss it still.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Sad day indeed. I love old 'Vettes. Have a 67 427/435 coupe. Just bought a original 48K mile Cortez silver 69 big block T-top car with air conditioning. It has all the documents, including protecto-plate, tank sticker etc. I guess I'm nostagic remembering when The General ruled the roost. Now only Ford stands and I hope they survive. Can't wait to see the 2010 GT 500.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I bought my first car, a three year old 1976 Camaro, on my 16th birthday. I repainted it pearl white and put the sweetest tires and wheels on it. I loved that car! My second car was a 1979 Z28 four gear. If they make a new Z28 I'll buy it... however I fear it'll never happen.

Rob

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i have owned 4 chevy trux, 4 corvettes and 3 camaros......