Girlie Man Clamshell Gas Springs

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
When the car and ambient temp is cold, the gas springs seem to not have enough opening tension to keep the lid open far enough to keep the safety latch from re-engaging while I disengage the latch on the other side. This is not an issue when the car is warm after driving.

Would new (Ford or other) gas springs solve the problem, or is this just the nature of the beast ... ie, the gas spring opening tension spec'd by Ford is inadequate when cold?

Thanks, usmcfred

jrader1

GT Owner
Aug 16, 2006
Have two GTs. One has had no problem, the other did exactly what you described. I had the mechanic put two new shocks on the one with the problem and now it works great. Trick to handle it for now is to slip a small soft towel on the one side when you open the clamshell to give you time to walk to the other side to open other latch.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i think there is an easy fix, there is some sort of pop up bump stop that replaces the rubber stop on the driver side everytime you pull the hatch it pops up and keeps the clam shell up, try shadowman I believe he can help you.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks for the replies ...

jrader1 ... the "towel method" is what I do now ... but it is an ass pain. Looks like getting a replacement pair of gas springs (under warranty) is the way to go.

soroush ... I have the later "spring" type bump stops, however they only are meant to provide a gap wide enough for you to get a finger on to the safety latch to disengage it. The gas springs do the heavy lifting.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
With the door open wide, I find I can do both latches from one side of the car by
leaning into the roof opening left by the door.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for the replies ...

jrader1 ... the "towel method" is what I do now ... but it is an ass pain. Looks like getting a replacement pair of gas springs (under warranty) is the way to go.

soroush ... I have the later "spring" type bump stops, however they only are meant to provide a gap wide enough for you to get a finger on to the safety latch to disengage it. The gas springs do the heavy lifting.

oh I had no idea, I thought they would provide enough lift and hold the clamshell open past the latch so that you could walk to the other side and disengage the other latch. how bout if you open the spring some? i thought of getting the spring just havent got around to it, I can think of 10 other things at anytime that I have to do to the car, so for now, its the rag method for me.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I use the little rag trick mentioned above and sometime the lid stays open on its own if I let the drivers side down real gentle like.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
With the door open wide, I find I can do both latches from one side of the car by
leaning into the roof opening left by the door.

+ 1

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

That's exactly how I do it, not a bad reach with the door open!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
That's exactly how I do it, not a bad reach with the door open!

With this method, I try to remind myself to look out for the watch and other bad accoutrements.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
With this method, I try to remind myself to look out for the watch and other bad accoutrements.

I've ^@$#$&* scratched the roof once and only once.... nothing that a Porta wouldn't take out though. MUCH more careful now to the point if I'm in the car - who needs a watch :thumbsup and if I pop the hatch - lean way it the door and wallah - no problem!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Your gut's not in the way? Who are you kidding.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Your gut's not in the way? Who are you kidding.

OUCH!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have the same 'cold strut issue". Can't open my door wide enough to get to both side latches when in my garage parking space. I will try the 'rolled towel' approach.
AJB

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
My short little arms and jacket zippers, belt buckles, etc made it necessary to do the walk around as a matter of non-scratch safety. After a couple of times when the opposite side would drop back into the catch mode, I made a mod. I got some little rectangular joiner plates from Home Depot and spaced the passenger side latch about 3/8 of an inch longer. painted black they are not noticable, but allow the driver side release, then passenger side release, without the relatching on the drivers side.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I'm + 2 or 3 (whichever) on the lean over drill. Just don't wear your watch and you won't scratch the car.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My GT is the same - i.e. when the engine's cold, it won't hold. So I always slip my left shoe off and stand on the drivers seat.

Obviously if you're wearing thigh length lace up latex boots, then it's not so easy. But I think only Geirkink has this issue.

:biggrin

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
And the navel stud scratching the roof edge is just one more reason to play safe and do the walk around!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Does anyone have a part number for the spring assists?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
And the navel stud scratching the roof edge is just one more reason to play safe and do the walk around!

You didn't have to share that visual...:frown :lol