Getting ready order lifts: width recommendations?

gdarrah99

Jan 10, 2020
I’m stuck in the analysis stage of my lift purchase. I’m leading towards Bendpak, and planning to buy two to store the GT and other low(ish) profile cars. The HD9XW looks ideal; I like the extra width for the GT.. Any concerns I should have about this lift for my 05 GT?
Two other questions: Will the GT clear the rolling bridge jacks? And do I need to order extended ramps?

Thank you. I tried searching but found some conflicting information. So I would love to hear some first hand experience!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Get the extra width. You can’t go wrong.
yes your car will be ok with the bridge lifts.
I push them all the way to the front

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I got the extra width Atlas and glad I did. The rear wheels are pretty much flush with the sides of the lift. Maybe a half inch to an inch on each side.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
With regard to the extended ramps, I went a different direction, a 2 piece (total of 4 pieces) set of 6' Race Ramps. Solved having to use boards in addition to the ~24" long ramp that came with our lifts (not Bendpak, but they are all pretty similar). An added bonus, the race ramps are very light, compared to the metal ramps, and also are out of the way (vs hanging off the lift, if applicable). I also use the race ramps for trailer loading.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Good point, need extended ramps. I'm still using boards supported by bricks over the metal ramps. race ramps are nice and have other applications as mentioned.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I wish my 4-pole lift was wider (I have a standard width bought before I got the GT and my rear tires are about an inch too wide and my mirrors are VERY close to the cables when placing the car on the lift) and my ramps work fine. I do not own some but the optional aluminum ramps are significantly lighter.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I’m stuck in the analysis stage of my lift purchase. I’m leading towards Bendpak, and planning to buy two to store the GT and other low(ish) profile cars. The HD9XW looks ideal; I like the extra width for the GT.. Any concerns I should have about this lift for my 05 GT?
Two other questions: Will the GT clear the rolling bridge jacks? And do I need to order extended ramps?

Thank you. I tried searching but found some conflicting information. So I would love to hear some first hand experience!
I am looking at getting 2 four posts lifts later this year for a new house I am building. I have looked at many different lift options over the past 6 months and I have settled on the Bendpak HD9WX lifts, mainly due to the extra width and the price point is reasonable. Not the cheapest lift out there but not the most expensive. Hopefully the ones I buy are actually built in the US and not in China.

QSS

Reactions: GT Venum

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
go wide if you have room...….another big plus of the wider lift pillars is the ease of pulling the bottom vehicle under the top vehicle.
andy (ajb)

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Absolutely go wide if you have the space.
I use the Race Ramps along with the standard Bend Pac ramps.
Works perfectly.
Best,
Mark

rnkma4

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2014
Santa Clarita
I have the wide Bendpak with extended aluminum ramps. No problems

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I'm also looking at these- to cram another car into my micro-size (20x28) 3-car garage.

Here's the brochure with dimensions on their different HD9 models

But I also found this new "GrandPrix" model from them that's different- slightly different dimensions, and lift rides on outside of columns. Also runs on 110V, so probably slower, but may not be a problem for occasional use. Perhaps has manual safety release instead of requiring air.
lift.jpg

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I had the HD9XW. Worked flawlessly for a couple years before I sold it when my house sold.
View attachment 69th Garage Photo copy.jpg

Reactions: 93extxdps

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I would also suggest that you lay it out on a floor plan like Centerpunch. You want to make sure the lift fits in your garage and you also have clear access to the ramps. For example, it may fit in the garage but be offset so that it is awkward to pull onto the ramps. You'll also want to plan which side to install the pump and where you are getting power.
Car Lift.PNG

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've had the Bendpak HD9-W literally since I had the car.

if ya look in the instructions, and part bags, they give ya 4 what look like spacers that go on the ramp attachment rods which allows ya to connect the ramps where they wont drop down. just need the depth. over 15 years and a still satisfied customer

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I just used a carriage bolt and locked the stock ramps in the up position.
I had the space at the rear of the lift. and don't hit my head on them anymore.
Mark

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im looking into and trying to decide if "double wides" will work for me (2 cars up on just 4 posts). I have found that 4 posts next to eachother is clunky, taking up floor space. Note this is storage only, no work. Part of my pondering is how much work moving 2 cars from under the lift will be. (and the cars in front of those). Loving the triple heights, we have the height, but they need to be bolted down, but we have radiant heat in the floor. Decisions decisions...

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Out of curiosity, does anyone own or considered buying a tri-level parking lift like the Bendpak HD-973P or HD-973PX? Can you also use them for maintenance?

HD-973P-Tri-Level-Parking-Lift-5175238-BendPak.png

Not sure what ceiling height you would need for 2 GTs and a Mustang but they look cool. I suppose the height might make me nervous too.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes considered it in the post above yours, looked at them at SEMA pretty closely. Ironically, they did not have theirs bolted down, but mounted basically to a steel plate.

I dont know if they offer a rolling jack for this lift

Out of curiosity, does anyone own or considered buying a tri-level parking lift like the Bendpak HD-973P or HD-973PX?

Reactions: GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Yes considered it in the post above yours, looked at them at SEMA pretty closely. Ironically, they did not have theirs bolted down, but mounted basically to a steel plate.

I dont know if they offer a rolling jack for this lift

Got it! Sorry, missed your explanation. Might be a neat option to free up floor space if you have tall ceilings but limited square footage like I have. Keep me posted on if you end up deciding to do it. I'm about a year away from getting one and I'd like to decide soon.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Probably wont do the triple, even though we have more than enough height. But also still in the infancy deciding if Ill make a change (have two 4 posters, and would like to get more in the air, hence also considering 2 "double wides")