Getting JMS mass air mod fitted,tuner complaining of hassles with SCT software?

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
After having landed the JMS digital Mass air way back in Feb. I finally got the car to my tuner after my accessory guys had been messing around with mundane stuff such as fixing the aftermarket park sensors post the bumper delete kit and getting the custom Exoticare mats retrimmed to fit correctly. So the tuner finally got it Monday and quoted 2 days to fit and play around on the dyno. In checking in today he's complaining that 'as usual' he's having dramas with the SCT Software, trying to source different software to eliminate the 'continious problem'. I dunno, but frankly I thought this was going to be a total 'no brainer' tweak the JMS to my car. Anyone else experience diff from a software point of view? Wondering if I should once and for all get my guy to hook up with Torrie for a 'remote tune' here?? It's been to many little tuning niggles with my car for too many years now- nothing ever major, but there nonetheless (like the engine light can never be tuned to remain off). My tuner is highly competant and respected, right up to Ford and GM racing levels, but I think he needs some back up from a US GT expert like Torrie.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'd start with Torrie for sure. And there are others too. Kendall, The GT Guys to name just two more.

Your post didn't explain what the "continuous problems" were about. Interested in hearing just what issue's he had.

Your magic day is approaching. A real "Job Well Done". Congrats on your patience in doing it right.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can do it remotely if required and I know the guy who designed the JMS MAM and their pump boosters, plus he is one of the 5 guys that came together to start SCT about a decade ago. Email me torrie@unleashedtuning.com

I work on this controller and a lot of others all of the time. Did a Whipple GT Friday, Doing a TTGT today, have another Whipple GT Monday, and a KB GT in Sweden coming up after that.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks for the mention re: tuning - but our go-to guy for tuning is Torrie. There is nothing that trumps experience and Torrie has plenty. Additionally, he is the EASIEST person to get ahold of. He doesn't seem to know time of day or the difference between weekends and weekdays. Idiot. Makes us mortals look bad.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Ha! Thanks Kendall.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
I'd start with Torrie for sure. And there are others too. Kendall, The GT Guys to name just two more.

Your post didn't explain what the "continuous problems" were about. Interested in hearing just what issue's he had.

Your magic day is approaching. A real "Job Well Done". Congrats on your patience in doing it right.

Yeah, unfort that was an extremely vague description sent back in the email from my local guy. I wish I knew a little more too.

I can do it remotely if required and I know the guy who designed the JMS MAM and their pump boosters, plus he is one of the 5 guys that came together to start SCT about a decade ago. Email me torrie@unleashedtuning.com

I work on this controller and a lot of others all of the time. Did a Whipple GT Friday, Doing a TTGT today, have another Whipple GT Monday, and a KB GT in Sweden coming up after that.

Excellent Torrie. I'm going to encourage my guy Daryl to get in touch with you via email directly. I'll include the stuff you mention here so it gets through to him the depth of your experience as we all of us here know you have. Cheers :)

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Sounds good.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Sounds good.

I have just sent him an email. With some luck he will move on it fairly promptly and you'll hear from him very soon. However, I know when he's working, he's only checking emails a couple of times a day.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
No problem, I have plenty of stuff going on and will be here.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
No problem, I have plenty of stuff going on and will be here.

Great. Yeah he's a little old school in some ways. At least he does email, if be it a little slower than most folks ;)

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Making slow but steady progress with re-tune for the JMS MAM. My tuner has finally updated all his Livewire software (was a v3!) which helped greatly:facepalm:. Many thanks Torrie for helping him via email as well:cheers .From what I understand now on a car already equipped and tuned with the MAFia unit like mine, you need to get the car back to baseline with the stock mass air before re-tuning with the JMS MAM. I don't know if he said to you Torrie, whether he'd send you his final tune to go over, but it seemed to me when we spoke on the phone, he was likely just complete the re-tune himself. If he's not keen to get your input, I'd still like to go to one of the other Superchips supporting shops here and specify that they work remotely with you. I just know in my bones that he tendency is to tune just that bit too much on the conservative side for what the car can handle and the fuel quality available here locally.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
No problem at all !