gas gauge

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
I just got my new tungstun today. I have not driven it yet, but when I started it the gas gauge did not registar although all the other gauges appear to work. I assume there is at least some fuel in it...the gauge doesn't twitch a bit. any ideas?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A few people here have experienced an occasional very slow gas gauge. There probably is some gas but I would recommend filling it up (to be sure) and I'm betting that your gauge will likely return to normal. Mine did it one time (right after a fill-up) but has never done it again.

Great color, by the way.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Unfortunately that seems to be a normal glitch... Has happened to me at least twice and one time, no gauges registered..

Best advice I was given on this forum was this, " That is the world you live in now that you own an exotic".

Meaning, Weird things go wrong, not the normal things that you would think of. So, prepare yourself for something else and just don't stress when it happens. It's just the FGT Gods Fu--ing with us!! :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Charge your battery

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just got my new tungstun today. I have not driven it yet, but when I started it the gas gauge did not registar although all the other gauges appear to work. I assume there is at least some fuel in it...the gauge doesn't twitch a bit. any ideas?

It's been suggested several times here on the Forum that when this or that gauge gives you trouble - 'could be the battery may be low ...screwy as that may sound. You'd THINK if that were the case they'd ALL be acting up. But, evidently not. (Also, I think it was Shadowman who commented that a bad gound may be the culprit in certain cases.)

So, you might plug in your trickle charger for a day or two (whether the car's been operated or not) and see if that makes any difference for you.:shrug

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Charge your battery

Had a similar problem the other day, but with the oil pressure gauge not budging, twitching, moving any what-so-ever. Everything else on the car was fine... all I did was charge the battery and it magically fixed itself.:biggrin

try that first.

mardyn

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Had a problem as well. Went to fill up. When I started the car after the fill up the guage still registerd empty. Maybe Empty Pockets was doing Voodoo or something. hehe, I shut the car off restarted it and it showed full. Happened again another time as well. Last couple starts everything seems to be ok.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Charge the battery... slowly.... as fast charge- bad, as Optima's are known to "let loose"

Reason: sitting at dealer to long.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Battery. I had that problem and it wasn't until a brand new battery that it was corrected. The dealership I: bought the car from must have done a fast charge and that screwed up the Optima.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
I drive the GT 3 to 4 times a week, and I also had the problem with an empty reading on two occasions. Both times were after a fill up. My commute to work is short so my battery may not be getting a full charge.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Fill the tank and charge the battery.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My fuel gauge does this too - i.e. fill up with fuel and drive away from the garage with the gauge registering empty.

Apparently there's nothing wrong with either the gauge or the battery - it's just being too quick to go (I am told). The solution is, when filled with fuel, put the key in the ignition and then wait a few moments before immediately starting the engine.

The fuel tank on the GT doesn't have the mechanical float system - I believe it's rather more exotic given the 'ship in a bottle' design of the tank components.

I haven't tried this more patient approach to leaving a gas station yet - I'm normally far too excited to go throught the automotive equivalent of a flight check routine!

However if one of the others here who has a similar issue - try the patient approach and report back... :cheers

avant

GT Owner
Apr 22, 2007
calgary, canada
Thanks everyone, the streets are not clean enough in canada to take it out yet but I'll try your suggestions prior to taking it to Ford. I'm sure they would take the dash apart to access the gauge and I would switching to the "DASH RATTEL" thread!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
avant maybe you need to move to southern Ontario to get that car out sooner.
hehehe:):biggrin