gas cap problem

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
I recently learned that water/rain can leak into the gas tank as many gt's are missing a round seal/washer that attaches to the bottom of the flip top to the gas filler. my car is missing the part as are two of my friends' cars.

My local ford dealer shows the part in the part manual. it is $15 but missing it can cause major problems. any one else hear of this problem??

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The flip top doesn't have anything on it. I've driven mine in a lot of rainstorms and washed it numerous times with no bad effects. Got a part number or picture?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have no seal on mine either.....

I'm not sure they have this seal - a part number would be good....

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
For some odd reason a lot of guys including myself don't have the gasket seal on the inside of the filler cap. I plan to make my own when I have time for my car doesn't see the rain nor do I wash it with any water pressure. It will be easy to find the right size rubber gasket (assuming I have difficulty getting it from Ford) and 3M it to the lid. I prefer doing things like this myself for I know it will get done right...BD40

Mad Max

Apr 7, 2006
SE Michigan
5G7Z-278A02-AA $15.19 . 7 in stock at the Memphis depot.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Gasket

5G7Z-278A02-AA $15.19 . 7 in stock at the Memphis depot.
Mine has no gasket either.
Didn't know there should be one.
Anyone have a picture of this.
Thanks,

Fred

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hold on lets take a crack at this , theres no seal up top on the flap. Is it your car is stalling? thats the crushed gasket on the filler tube or bad seal.. what is the problem your having, before the flap becomes the next halfshaft episode :biggrin gtjoey 1314

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I dont drive in rain and plan on never washing it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I recently learned that water/rain can leak into the gas tank as many gt's are missing a round seal/washer that attaches to the bottom of the flip top to the gas filler. my car is missing the part as are two of my friends' cars.

My local ford dealer shows the part in the part manual. it is $15 but missing it can cause major problems. any one else hear of this problem??

No matter WHAT kind of "o-ring" type seal you put on the 'cap, water can leak in around the 'filler's HINGE & get down inside there anyway. So, depending on which way your car is LEANING at the time, water coming in around the hinge will go .... where...?

'Might be best just to put some kind of "paint friendly" tape over the nozzle hole after filling up if water is a worry?

I'll go mind my own business now...

E.P.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm not home till Friday night. Somebody please check the big manual.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I'll go mind my own business now...

E.P.

E.P. - What gives? Get out of the ditch. I'll give ya a $.01. With yours that $.02! That should shut somebody up! :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
E.P. - What gives? Get out of the ditch. I'll give ya a $.01. With yours that $.02! That should shut somebody up! :cheers

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
THANKEE!

E.P.

Last edited:

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Filler Cap

:confused OK...at the risk of having Frank say something bad about me and my old gray car......
I thought the reason you have to slide the filler do dad when you put gas in the car was to prevent water etc from getting in the tank. There are drains around the filler hole to allow water and excess fuel to run off. My understanding was that the filler tube slide mechanism prevented this problem, not any gasket.

Don:confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
:confused OK...at the risk of having Frank say something bad about me and my old gray car......
I thought the reason you have to slide the filler do dad when you put gas in the car was to prevent water etc from getting in the tank. There are drains around the filler hole to allow water and excess fuel to run off. My understanding was that the filler tube slide mechanism prevented this problem, not any gasket.

Don:confused

My understanding as well, Don. :cheers

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Does ANYONE have a gasket around the cap lid from the factory? Neither of my GT's have one, but they do have two small rubber "nubs", no provision for the installation of a gasket or clean sealing lip to adhere a seal to. Did Ford add these late in 2006 as an upgrade? I don't get it?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does ANYONE have a gasket around the cap lid from the factory? Neither of my GT's have one, but they do have two small rubber "nubs", no provision for the installation of a gasket or clean sealing lip to adhere a seal to. Did Ford add these late in 2006 as an upgrade? I don't get it?

FYI- No gaskets on any of my GTs, including very late build '06.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Nobody have a Service Manual handy to look in?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I reviewed the 2005 Workshop Manual and can find no reference to a fuel door O ring seal. O rings are used to seal the vapor tube fittings (types I and II) as well as the fuel pump module to the tank.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'd say we're safe guys. If there ever was a plan to install an o-ring it was probably an early prototype design and never made production.