Funny noise

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
OK.. Not sure what this is but..... I noticed a strange noise the other day. when I am decelerating and I put the clutch in ( so I am coasting) I hear a.....hmmmmm kindof grinding noise. Could it be a normal transmission noise? Not sur what to make of it. The noise itself oscillates (wmff, wmff, wnff, wmff).

Very strange

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look for rocks or other debris in your tires.

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Possible rear wheel bearing noise. To isolate the noise find a hill, coast down it, depress the clutch and turn the car off. at least you will be able to hear locate it better.

Mike.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Possible rear wheel bearing noise. To isolate the noise find a hill, coast down it, depress the clutch and turn the car off. at least you will be able to hear locate it better.

Mike.

Don't turn the car off!!

You'll lock the steering and be at the mercy of the locked position!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
OK.. Not sure what this is but..... I noticed a strange noise the other day. when I am decelerating and I put the clutch in ( so I am coasting) I hear a.....hmmmmm kindof grinding noise. Could it be a normal transmission noise? Not sur what to make of it. The noise itself oscillates (wmff, wmff, wnff, wmff).

Very strange

A noise like that under those conditions could indicate the throwout bearing is going south. BUT, I haven't heard of one going out in anyone's GT to this point! Sooooooo......?

Edit: Re: your wheel bearing idea, nsf, don't wheel bearings usually make a fairly loud, constant, shrill, metal to metal "squeal"? :shrug Or is my darn memory faulty again! :lol

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
You shouldnt ride the clutch...pedal in/coasting;

You should push clutch in/shift to neutral/release clutch/then coast.

Someone mentioned this once after some burnouts......i think

It was recomended to do some hi-speed shifts to even out surfaces of clutch plates

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Thanks all for your advice. I am still not sure about the noise. I did turn off the engine and coast (oddly enough, the car wouldnt start up again until I coasted to a fairly slow speed - wierd). Anyways, the noise is there whether clutch is in or out. I am thinking wheel bearing. I am hoping it is not a transaxle problem. I'll have to get the thing checked out. Thanks for your posts. Bob

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Don't turn the car off!!

You'll lock the steering and be at the mercy of the locked position!!

and when you turn it on you will literally fry (burn) your bumper - right Craig? Where's that hot dog pic?

..........due to gas build up and explosion when igniting after power being off....

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
You might try turning left and right and see if the noise/pitch changes.
As you redistribute the weight a wheel bearing noise will usually change.
Depending on which way you are turning as it's heard can help determine which side the problem is on, if it is in fact a wheel bearing.

Jeff

Last edited:

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
OK..... I just wanted to post for anyone keeping stats out there. The noise was from a faulty front wheel bearing. The wheel bearing and hub had to be replaced. VERY SCARY given that the car only had 5000 miles on it when the noise surfaced. I am lucky that I did not have a high speed issue. Just FYI

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the update. I will try to remember to check my bearings next time the car is on the lift.

Aug 25, 2006
Great to know

Thank you for sharing the concern and even more so the fix.

Takes care

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:eek A WHEEL BEARING that didn't "squeal"???! :eek

'SPOOKY!!!:willy:willy:willy

(I've never had one go out that just made a "grinding" sound.)

Thanks for the follow-up! :thumbsup :cheers

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Bob,

was it the right or left side? I think right front, purely a guess though.

Pete S.

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
OK..... I just wanted to post for anyone keeping stats out there. The noise was from a faulty front wheel bearing. The wheel bearing and hub had to be replaced. VERY SCARY given that the car only had 5000 miles on it when the noise surfaced. I am lucky that I did not have a high speed issue. Just FYI

Can anyone explain why the hub would have to be replaced along with the wheel bearing? On the FGT is the wheel bearing and hub a one piece assembly?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The noise was from a faulty front wheel bearing. The wheel bearing and hub had to be replaced.
I'm betting I have the same issue. <20 mph, coasting in any gear or in neutral with the clutch disengaged. I was hoping tire noise but this thread has me thinking otherwise. Thanks for sharing.